Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is religion a farce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

It gives billions of people hope and meaning every day of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

gives older people comfort i suppose, it's reassuring to think that there's something to look forward at the end of it all but religion won't have much if any impact on the next generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

ibtl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

ddef wrote: »
    It gives billions of people hope and meaning every day of their lives.

False hope and meaning solving none of their real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Don't forget it also provides many of those billions with fear and dread of eternal punishment and torture after their death for either themselves or those that they love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gives older people comfort i suppose, it's reassuring to think that there's something to look forward at the end of it all but religion won't have much if any impact on the next generation.

christianity has been going for over 2000 years, and more for much longer. hard to believe it will disappear after all the aul ones kick the bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Morality is the main argument for religion these days. I know atheists rararant about morality being found in atheism, but I'm afraid that there is no reason for an atheist to act morally. People who claim to be religious but do highly immoral things are not religious, imo.
    Atheists often go on about how religion is dogmatic and only fools follow it, but I find some of the greatest fools are atheists who are just doing it to be cool, and many atheists thousands of times more persecuting and dogmatic than any religious people.

I do not claim to be religious, but I refuse to call myself an atheist under the grounds that I don't want to be associated with bigoted, dogmatic, thoughtless arseholes without any regard for a persons beliefs. If anything should be widespread in this day and age, it should be humanism, not atheism. Personally, I think that raw atheism is the worst thing for society, and in many ways a religion, with its own idols, prophets, texts, and a set of beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Morality is the main argument for religion these days. I know atheists rararant about morality being found in atheism, but I'm afraid that there is no reason for an atheist to act morally. People who claim to be religious but do highly immoral things are not religious, imo.
    Atheists often go on about how religion is dogmatic and only fools follow it, but I find some of the greatest fools are atheists who are just doing it to be cool, and many atheists thousands of times more persecuting and dogmatic than any religious people.

I do not claim to be religious, but I refuse to call myself an atheist under the grounds that I don't want to be associated with bigoted, dogmatic, thoughtless arseholes without any regard for a persons beliefs. If anything should be widespread in this day and age, it should be humanism, not atheism. Personally, I think that raw atheism is the worst thing for society, and in many ways a religion, with its own idols, prophets, texts, and a set of beliefs.

The only thing I'd disagree with there is the morality bit, It's very possible to have morals without being religious.

The only thing I'd disagree with there is the morality bit, It's very possible to have morals without being religious.
    While its possible, there's nothing to promote morality under atheism, no carrot on a string for being well behaved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Where you listening to Penn Jillette on the radio earlier??:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Morality is the main argument for religion these days. I know atheists rararant about morality being found in atheism, but I'm afraid that there is no reason for an atheist to act morally.

If you're a prick to other's then your parents didn't raise you good enough or you're just a natural born dickhead.

I don't believe for one second a person's personal belief is the basis of their morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

While its possible, there's nothing to promote morality under atheism, no carrot on a string for being well behaved.

Why do you need incentive to not be a wanker?

but I'm afraid that there is no reason for an atheist to act morally.

Pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh but should there be a need for a carrot on a string to be well behaved? Morals and compassion for me should be a given regardless of what your religous beliefs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

A farce indeed. A waste of precious life. Wake up my fellow apes. We are animals. Amazing animals that can do nearly anything. Stop wasting your precious life. Live now. You only live for up to 80/90 years. Make the most of it NOW. You are alive NOW.

And how dare a mothaf*cka suggest that morality is exclusive to the religious.

Where you listening to Penn Jillette on the radio earlier??:pac::pac::pac:
    Nope, my opinions on topics like these are formed from thinking and analysing my own experiences, not from what someone on a podium tells me my opinion is, and I wish more people would sit down and evaluate their own from time to time.

Ain't this fooker a snowflake?

well said.
    when it comes to religion, I ironically find it is atheists who force their beliefs (or lack of) much more so than the churches.

many atheists thousands of times more persecuting and dogmatic than any religious people.

Even worse nonsense. Do a bit of reading on persecutions. Mocking someone's belief in a sky wizard is pretty much the mildest form of persecution humanly possible compared to what has been committed by believers.

• Advertisement

Nope, my opinions on topics like these are formed from thinking and analysing my own experiences, not from what someone on a podium tells me my opinion is, and I wish more people would sit down and evaluate their own from time to time.

well what you wrote was almost word for word what he said about 4 hours ago on the radio. Maybe great minds think alike. and all that...:)

True, but at least it gives them hope, rather than complete hopelessness.

I don't believe in religion personally (and never will), but these days I expect more people to turn to religion as the economic situation continues worsen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Welcome to the agnostic-atheist club.

Religious person:

"Gays are evil and will go to Hell! Abortion is evil, people who did it will go to Hell! People who aren't my religion are evil and will go to Hell!"

Non-religious person:

"Why are you such a dick?"

Religious person:

"STOP PERSECUTING ME FOR MY BELIEFS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So people need the delight of spiritual awards for acting like a civilised human being?

SKY NEWS: London Rioters revealed to be atheists.

well what you wrote was almost word for word what he said about 4 hours ago on the radio. Maybe great minds think alike. and all that...:)

More like small minds think alike.

More like small minds think alike.

Is that even a saying?:pac:

Is that even a saying?:pac:

No.

I think a lock would do this thread a world of good.
    its been done to death already and people just start bickering once all the points of their arguments are used up.

• Advertisement

Funnily, the ones who are arguing that atheism can be moral are doing so in an incredibly immoral and undignified way.

Advertisement