Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is religion a farce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

KeithAFC wrote: »
    True. I think many Christians do follow the words of Jesus and his examples more than perhaps anything else. So why the mocking of his name in this thread is beyond me if what you say is true and we pretty much agree on that. But then I support the right of people to express that view.

I think people flippantly mock the name because they associate it with religion rather than having a pop at the person himself. I also think it's because a lot of religious people believe that they should be able to go around preaching to others and telling them that what they believe is immoral but yet get all up in arms when any slight is made against what they believe in. Incredible double standards which usually provoke derision from others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I cannot find any posts mocking of jesus' name in this thread. Can you show one please.
    I think it was a few pages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

Religion seems to be about guilt and console.
    But I do my best with all my strenght ,what would I be guilty about ? I shouldn't need excuses to have beliefs that I don't need

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    I think people flippantly mock the name because they associate it with religion rather than having a pop at the person himself. I also think it's because a lot of religious people believe that they should be able to go around preaching to others and telling them that what they believe is immoral but yet get all up in arms when any slight is made against what they believe in. Incredible double standards which usually provoke derision from others.
    Well they should perhaps educate themselves on that front really. It is really lame when you do see Atheists mock the name of someone who you would think would agree with a lot of what Atheists in general follow. Except the whole deity thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Well they should perhaps educate themselves on that front really. It is really lame when you do see Atheists mock the name of someone who you would think would agree with a lot of what Atheists in general follow. Except the whole deity thing.

Where did this happen again?
    I cannot find it.
    Was it a single poster?

• Advertisement

I think you'll find for the most part atheists are statistically pretty well educated. I make unpc comments as a joke, doesn't mean I'm a racist. I would mock a friends religion and we'd have a laugh about it cos he knows I don't have a real issue with it. IMHO religious people need to lighten up. I don't get upset when people say god exists, like it's somehow an affront to how I live my life. Once it doesn't interfere with my human rights, believe whatever the hell you want would be my motto.

Someone mentioned jaysis ,but it was late last night ,drink may have greased the lips a little.

Someone mentioned jaysis ,but it was late last night ,drink may have greased the lips a little.

Someone. A single one?
    So its a stretch to say that 'atheists' plural did it then?

Someone. A single one?
    So its a stretch to say that 'atheists' plural did it then?

God only knows :D

I think you'll find for the most part atheists are statistically pretty well educated. I make unpc comments as a joke, doesn't mean I'm a racist. I would mock a friends religion and we'd have a laugh about it cos he knows I don't have a real issue with it. IMHO religious people need to lighten up. I don't get upset when people say god exists, like it's somehow an affront to how I live my life. Once it doesn't interfere with my human rights, believe whatever the hell you want would be my motto.

Many atheists, myself included, arrive at their atheism from over exposure to religion. I was the most devout little charasmatic bible reader going in my early teens. Thats how i figured out it was cobblers.

• Advertisement

I would agree that many religious people around the world would need to "lighten up" as you say but then I think the same for many Atheists too. Who do seem a bit more determined these days to say they are Atheists than perhaps Christians do. I might be the only one with that view and it is only from a perspective view point but that is how I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I think religion is important.

The Flying Spaghetti monster told me so in a vision.

I'm a very spiritual person.

I would agree that many religious people around the world would need to "lighten up" as you say but then I think the same for many Atheists too. Who do seem a bit more determined these days to say they are Atheists than perhaps Christians do. I might be the only one with that view and it is only from a perspective view point but that is how I see it.

Well. Seeing as we no longer risk being burned, shunned, read from the pulpit or made social pariahs we may seem a little more vocal and visible.
    Out of the closet eh!

I'm probably an athiest ,no ones dragged me to an office and threw a bucket of water over me ,so I'm not sure yet!

A few points - perhaps this is just me but I find it funny you use capital letter for both the words "atheist" and "christian"....I know it's a common religious thing but it is funny you use it for both as the spellcheck here is prompting me to do it for christian but not for atheist. I wish we didn't have to somehow give theism or non theism special treatment.

I think atheists are becoming more determined and outspoken because religion impacts on many people's freedoms way more than atheism does. And in this country you wouldn't have to look far to see many reasons why you should become disillusioned with the church. When you see an organisation ignore the law and continue to take a hierarchical stance on everything moral it gets pretty bloody sickening to those who are non-religious but yet can be deemed immoral.

I'm probably an athiest ,no ones dragged me to an office and threw a bucket of water over me ,so I'm not sure yet!

What does this mean???????:confused:

Well. Seeing as we no longer risk being burned, shunned, read from the pulpit or made social pariahs we may seem a little more vocal and visible.
    Out of the closet eh!
    I think it is because we live in a society today which is becoming more Atheist or Agnostic. Basically a bit like those Amazon tribes. Except two thousand years late.

Think he means holy water - he might burn if he's an atheist....

I was trying to demonstrate that I don't discuss athiesm normally ,by inferring athiests have rituals of some sort.
    Obviously I had too many beans.

I think it is because we live in a society today which is becoming more Atheist or Agnostic. Basically a bit like those Amazon tribes. Except two thousand years late.

I may be wrong but your description here seems to infer we are going backwards somehow as a race....IMHO atheism is a sign of moving forward, not being held back by things that encourage a lack of questioning.

• Advertisement

I may be wrong but your description here seems to infer we are going backwards somehow as a race....IMHO atheism is a sign of moving forward, not being held back by things that encourage a lack of questioning.
    No. That isn't what I am saying. Too many people in society don't have time for organised religion now. Kids playing on the Xbox or PS3 or being more open to questioning which perhaps wasn't around years ago. They might still believe in god or so some sort of "life force" but the church numbers are dropping. Or at least that is what I perceive.

No. That isn't what I am saying. Too many people in society don't have time for organised religion now. Kids playing on the Xbox or PS3 or being more open to questioning which perhaps wasn't around years ago. They might still believe in god or so some sort of "life force" but the church numbers are dropping. Or at least that is what I perceive.

Fair enough. Although I don't think the Xbox/PS3 would be competition to the promise of everlasting heavenly life if they believed in it or their parents did. When I was younger I loved F1 and it always clashed with mass but I went anyways and caught it when I got back.

Bit OT but does anyone here hate the term lapsed catholic? It's like I'm still affiliated to and sorta believe in a religion but just can't be arsed. With what the church has done in this country and others surely we can get off the fence and think about the significance of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

With what the church has done in this country and others surely we can get off the fence and think about the significance of it all.

not sure if youre talking about the rape of all those kids, the centuries of ruling through fear, all the lies and misinformation, or something you perceive as good here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's like I'm still affiliated to and sorta believe in a religion but just can't be arsed. With what the church has done in this country and others surely we can get off the fence and think about the significance of it all.

1. The Church did not 'do it'. Paedophiles masquerading as priests did.

2. The Church authorities covered it up.

3. The Church is the congregation - the people; the faithful.

By all means let your religion lapse; but don't look for a scapegoat to do so. it is between you and God.
    Interestingly, those who get most worked up about the existence of God appear to be those without beliefs. From reading the many anti-religion threads on here it's patently obvious. the ridiculing of believers; of the Almighty; of the church - it's endless. But, I suppose, it's far easier to sit on that side these days.

Whereas those with a deep sense of faith seem quite content. Go figure.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

The church and being christian are two different things. That bloody organization run by the vatican is about as far from being christian as it gets. I wish people who are not religious would not associate religious people with peados and the church etc. You may well see then end of the church but christianity will live on

Freddie59 wrote: »

What about all the other religions in the world ,well you're not racist because you're content in your beliefs .......

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well that's rubbish. People are content on both sides. Sweeping generalisations and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

1..... Paedophiles masquerading as priests did.

The "no true scotsman" line of defence, how original.

3. The Church is the congregation - the people; the faithful.

By all means let your religion lapse; but don't look for a scapegoat to do so. it is between you and God.
    Interestingly, those who get most worked up about the existence of God appear to be those without beliefs. From reading the many anti-religion threads on here it's patently obvious. the ridiculing of believers; of the Almighty; of the church - it's endless. But, I suppose, it's far easier to sit on that side these days.

Stop playing semantics. The church includes the church authorities and the priests and the congregation.

I have no intention of looking for a scapegoat - I cited the church as an institution as one reason why more people are becoming atheists these days. I did not say it was my sole one. So perhaps you should read the posts a bit more carefully before you post yourself. I'm perfectly contented in my life, stop assuming that non believers aren't or that religious people are. I am just capable of having an intellectual discussion and have an ability to question things rather than following the herd for my "contentedness".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What's the distinction between a church authority and say the Pope? I would have thought all ordained members of the church where authorities. I'm fairly sure there where ordinary Catholics involved too, these would have been masquerading as guards and other ordinary Irish citizens that said nothing to protect the reputation of their faith.

Advertisement