Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is religion a farce?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

They told me i could be anything I wanted when I grew up...

SO I BECAME A GOD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

I dont believe you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Religion gives culchies something to do on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

Is religion a farce?

In Jedi-ism its a force.

Fred Cohen wrote: »
    Is religion a farce?

In Jedi-ism its a force.

Funny because it's true :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Religion gives culchies something to do on a sunday.

Muck and stick ball? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Meh religion has been used as an excuse to do all sorts of bad things. Take religion away and we will find a different excuse to continue to do those bad things!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,233 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ryoishin wrote: »
    Meh religion has been used as an excuse to do all sorts of bad things. Take religion away and we will find a different excuse to continue to do those bad things!

Yea as much as I'm not a fan of religion there's always other(usually better) reasons to start a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

For the majority of people in Ireland religion is very important and far a farce we keep hearing about all the bad priest ect but what about all the good ones and all the good they done

People who think religion starts wars are foolishly niave. Often blamed on religion yes. It starts arguments alright!

Wars are over money/resources usually.

There's has been a manifesto in place for quite some time to rid the world of all religions.

The reason for this is to gain more control over the people, but this reason is being disguised as 'world peace'

It's working well I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,233 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Obelisk wrote: »
    People who think religion starts wars are foolishly niave. Often blamed on religion yes. It starts arguments alright!

Wars are over money/resources usually.

There's has been a manifesto in place for quite some time to rid the world of all religions.

The reason for this is to gain more control over the people, but this reason is being disguised as 'world peace'

It's working well I would say.

I'm pretty sure some wars were religious but yeah would agree most are money/resources.

Not sure about the conspiracy theory you mentioned though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ryoishin wrote: »

Ah yes, good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things but for a good person to do bad things you need religion. :D

Malty_T wrote: »
    Ah yes, good people will do good things and bad people will do bad things but for a good person to do bad things you need religion. :D

I agree, but I also think thats true of things like patriotism too.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Malty I would have said you need a woman for a good man to do a bad thing ha ha.

Religious organisations are perfect grounds for crazy people to influence and distort other people. Religion has also done great things for some people. Im playing devils advocate here Im not being pro or con.

Most Catholic people in Ireland dont under stand their religion. I would say that its a coping mechanism for alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I agree, but I also think thats true of things like patriotism too.

Patriotism is the religious belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

bnt wrote: »
    Hitler's position on religion is confusing and the subject of much discussion, since he sometimes said one thing in public (including his writings) but the opposite in private. There's no question that he used religious imagery and exhortations in public speeches, claiming that e.g. the "final solution" was a religious undertaking. On the other hand, his private "Table Talk" gave the impression that his use of religion was political and cynical. But all that was primarily with respect to Catholicism, the dominant religion of Germany at the time, and the Vatican was also political, in the sense that millions of people looked to them for guidance. The Vatican's approval of Hitler, after the Reichskonkordat, carried a lot of weight in Nazi Germany.

Like Stalinism, we can see in retrospect how Naziism became a political religion, In my opinion: there's not much point arguing whether Stalin and Hitler "had religion", when they founded and led their own political religions to justify their atrocities. In either case, we reliably say that Stalin or Hitler were not atheists.

So what if he was a vegetarian none believer of God, now why would anyone wanted to follow him even though he didn’t believe in religion so that was still no reason for what he really believed in.

He was a dictator and very narrow minded. He had a hatred towards the Jews because they were richer than him had wealth, well off, got all the good jobs cause he ended up poor, no job, no money when he began his adult life. He wanted to pursue art but was no good at it and didn’t get much money.

He envied the Jews for that main reason not just him disliking their race he believed that the countries he ruled should only have one race in these countries maybe even the whole of Europe and the world. It was all about money and power for him not just what his vision was and what he believed in. He was in a world of his own, he became deluded and obsessed got the better of him he totally lost touch with reality.

Honestly don’t know how no none managed to properly bump him off like in the film inglorious bastards it would have made great history! Even though a few wanted to assassinate him but failed. To be honest religion didn’t really come into it as he never believed in religion.
    He didn’t have a sectarian hatred he despised part of the human race which was immoral disrespectable against humanity and against human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

doovdela wrote: »
    He envied the Jews for that main reason not just him disliking their race he believed that the countries he ruled should only have one race in these countries maybe even the whole of Europe and the world. It was all about money and power for him not just what his vision was and what he believed in. He was in a world of his own, he became deluded and obsessed got the better of him he totally lost touch with reality.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

of course religion is BS, that's what it is, people believing a whole load of rubbish without any proof of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I'm not sure to be honest........Everything tells me in my heart it is especially my science background but the thing is when a family member is sick or something I find myself praying:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I'm not sure to be honest........Everything tells me in my heart it is especially my science background but the thing is when a family member is sick or something I find myself praying:confused:

Indeed, and theists often talk about death bed conversions too.

This just tells me that when people are under duress, stress or worry it diminishes their critical faculties. I am sure religion is not the only place this manifests. I imagine there are people who, for example, know that homoeopathy is only water.... yet find that when they or a loved one is sick they look at homoeopathy and think things like "What if...." or "Well it cant hurt can it.....".

The fact people turn to believing in god when under duress and are not in their right mind or faculties is very telling, and not in the way theists would want it to be when they harp on about things like death bed conversions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Indeed, and theists often talk about death bed conversions too.

This just tells me that when people are under duress, stress or worry it diminishes their critical faculties. I am sure religion is not the only place this manifests. I imagine there are people who, for example, know that homoeopathy is only water.... yet find that when they or a loved one is sick they look at homoeopathy and think things like "What if...." or "Well it cant hurt can it.....".

The fact people turn to believing in god when under duress and are not in their right mind or faculties is very telling, and not in the way theists would want it to be when they harp on about things like death bed conversions.

Many people (myself included) do not just turn to God in the 'bad times'. We also thank Him for His grace in the good times (which, thankfully, are more than the bed).:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Many people (myself included) do not just turn to God in the 'bad times'. We also thank Him for His grace in the good times (which, thankfully, are more than the bed).:)

He gets thanked for the good times and so logically he is criticised for the bad times?:confused:

Many people (myself included) do not just turn to God in the 'bad times'.

Nor do I mean to suggest such. I am directing what I say solely at the people who do not think there is a god until some form of duress or other impact on their faculties of reason cause them to suddenly change.

Why the people who are apparently under no duress, stress or other reduction of their faculties think there is a god is a different thing to what I am saying entirely and is thus far beyond me.

Given that in 18+ years of asking for any reasons, arguments, evidence OR data that lends even a modicum of credence to the idea there is a god... not one of them has given me one.... makes me think it is likely beyond them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

To quote Billy Connolly:

"You've had 2000 years and you've f*cked it up. Take your Reformation, your Vatican, your Mecca, and f*ck off"

He gets thanked for the good times and so logically he is criticised for the bad times?:confused:

Not necessarily.

grenache wrote: »
    To quote Billy Connolly:

"You've had 2000 years and you've f*cked it up. Take your Reformation, your Vatican, your Mecca, and f*ck off"

Ah, Billy. Such a role model.....;):rolleyes:

Nor do I mean to suggest such. I am directing what I say solely at the people who do not think there is a god until some form of duress or other impact on their faculties of reason cause them to suddenly change.

Why the people who are apparently under no duress, stress or other reduction of their faculties think there is a god is a different thing to what I am saying entirely and is thus far beyond me.

Given that in 18+ years of asking for any reasons, arguments, evidence OR data that lends even a modicum of credence to the idea there is a god... not one of them has given me one.... makes me think it is likely beyond them too.

Well, that is your opinion - to which you are pefectly entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Any religion that imposes false constraints on the world is a farce. Is there a religion out there that acknowledges our curiosity, our quest for knowledge, our diversity and need to be different? Is there one that allows us to stray from doctrine without fear of punishment or retribution? Are there any Gods that don't require homage and unquestioned obedience? That allow us to use the gifts it surely must've bestowed us with to realise our full potential? Is there any God or religion that allows to control our own lives without having to interfere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

I tis a load of noncense.

• Advertisement

Well, that is your opinion - to which you are pefectly entitled.

More of a conclusion than an opinion, but I thank you for permitting me to hold one all the same :)

Advertisement