Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is religion a farce?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

CorkB wrote: »
    Religion causes division. With the bible, the focus os on unity. There was no talk of denominations in the bible, only the body of Christ. People are either in or out. The rest is man made, including religion.

The man made stuff that is far removed from the God ordained gives a bad name to it. The best way to pursue God is out of church and out of religion
    Which god? Thor? Ra? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Doc_Savage wrote: »
    sorry guys... there are a million problems with the arguments being used here and they have been done to death a million times!

but the one that struck me was when a guy mentioned athiests "Dogma"!

Dogma is basically a set of rules that must be followed unquestioningly!
    point them out to me please if you want to...

atheism only deals with the belief system, and wants to remove it from day to day life... ie. no government protection or funding for religions etc.

Atheists have only come to the fore recently because there has been a danger of religion interfering with their lives. Is that not understandable?

NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO AND A THOU****INGSAND TIMES NO. Atheism is simply the lack of a belief in gods. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

raah! wrote: »
    Some sweet arguments against that morality thing . Some of them were even oneliners! "bull****!", "I disagree emphatically" , "that's not true"! thankthankthankthankthank. Sweet "rationalism" there.

Maybe. But it is a bit too easy and opportunistic to comment on those so you can ignore the people who actually made good points and arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CorkB

There is only one, and His story is written in the bible. I want to encourage people to separate religion from the bible, because, at the risk of the ire of some people, I believe religion is not biblical.

There is only one, and His story is written in the bible. I want to encourage people to separate religion from the bible, because, at the risk of the ire of some people, I believe religion is not biblical.

Says you. And millions of equally devout people say other wise. Why are you right and they wrong? perhaps you are all wrong and you will never ever ever know....not ever.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I know atheists rararant about morality being found in atheism, but I'm afraid that there is no reason for an atheist to act morally.
    There are many reasons for the sociable human animal to be moral. It's an evolved trait.

Religion had it's place in time. It helped the human animal come to terms with the world around it, it brought new thinking to us and expanded our culture no end but we've outgrown it. I would say the same about capitalism, it's gotten us this far but it's flaws are showing through and we could do with a new way of organising our societies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

:rolleyes: [...]

You're much better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Maybe. But it is a bit too easy and opportunistic to comment on those so you can ignore the people who actually made good points and arguments.

I'm sure you mean yourself when you say "those who made good points", and I'm sure you remember that I have already argued with you about morality, and you have already linked me to your article.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

philologos wrote: »

You dare question the glory of Oden and his mighty son Thor?

Says you. And millions of equally devout people say other wise. Why are you right and they wrong? perhaps you are all wrong and you will never ever ever know....not ever.....

It comes down to simple logic. When Jesus said "No one comes to the father but by me," either this is true and there is only one or it isn't. Because of quotes like this, the belief in Christ is irreconcilible with belief in other gods. One cannot have it both ways.

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »

Its a cliche but is still 100% valid. So many Gods and so little to show for them selves.

In a number of contexts however the serperation is meaningless to me given the lack of any evidence, argument data OR reasons to lend even a modicum of credence to the idea there is a god.

Therefore the Bible and Religions are both based on a lie and as such are comparable on many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO AND A THOU****INGSAND TIMES NO. Atheism is simply the lack of a belief in gods. Full stop.

While I totally accept this point, is there a term for the quasi-religious anti-religious atheists who have popped up recently?

I mean they are atheists because they don't believe in god, but is there a term which describes their intolerant clattering on about not believing in god or how awful religion is?

raah! wrote: »
    I'm sure you mean yourself when you say "those who made good points"

Not exclusively.
    d'Oracle wrote: »
    is there a term which describes their intolerant clattering on about not believing in god or how awful religion is?

"Stating the obvious" might be one workable term for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

If there was a God then stuff like suicide, famine, war wouldn't exist.

It comes down to simple logic. When Jesus said "No one comes to the father but by me," either this is true and there is only one or it isn't. Because of quotes like this, the belief in Christ is irreconcilible with belief in other gods. One cannot have it both ways.

Are you saying that for Christians there is only one God?
    Well duh!!!
    Other religions have their own magic book quotes and circular arguments which directly contradict yours.
    Any other religion could post exactly the same post as yours and simply insert their book and god figure or figures into it. It still wont make a jot of sense.......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

What if god was a sadist? Maybe he takes joy in such things. I love the way people assume god must be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It comes down to simple logic. When Jesus said "No one comes to the father but by me," either this is true and there is only one or it isn't.
    Why does it have to be true or not? We can't really prove one way or the other what Jesus did in fact say or how he actually said it. We know there was a few decades at least between what Jesus said and when the record was made. Enough time for a verbal storey to become corrupted just like in Chinese whispers. Even day to day one person can turn a simple story into an epic tail just to get attention. It's unlikely, based on what we know of people today that this story is verbatim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

While its possible, there's nothing to promote morality under atheism, no carrot on a string for being well behaved.

Hence, the only reason for behaving morally is due to hope for eternal reward and/or fear of eternal punishment. Not for the good of the act itself.

How utterly depraved a life that must be...

While I totally accept this point, is there a term for the quasi-religious anti-religious atheists who have popped up recently?

I mean they are atheists because they don't believe in god, but is there a term which describes their intolerant clattering on about not believing in god or how awful religion is?

Yes there are many.
    Mouthy, student(!), piss*ed off, Boardsie, Journalist, parent etc etc
    Many atheists have brown hair but brown hair does not make one an atheist.
    Atheism is still just a lack of belief in gods...The End....

• Advertisement

"Stating the obvious" might be one workable term for it.

T'would be entirely unworkable.

For a start I would be referring to you as a "stating the obvious".
    That's just crap grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Hipsters.

Yes there are many.
    Mouthy, student(!), piss*ed off, Boardsie, Journalist, parent etc etc
    Many atheists have brown hair but brown hair does not make one an atheist.
    Atheism is still just a lack of belief in gods...The End....

None of those terms describe anything like it.

Mouthy is an informal describing someone who is liberal with their views and opinions.

A student is someone who studies a topic(s)

Boardsie means someone who posts on boards, that would mean I am one, which is inaccurate in the extreme.

Journalist......There are plenty of pro-religious journalists.

Parent.....now you are just getting silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

So you're worried about people being persecuted because of their religion but then you say you want to get rid of religion? Wouldn't that be persecution?

If somebody wants to get rid of poverty, it doesn't mean that they plan on going around and killing off all the poor people. Similarly if somebody wants to get rid of religion, it doesn't mean they plan on persecuting the religious. If they even have a plan at all.

Burgo wrote: »
    Hipsters.

There is an ironic t-shirt idea floating around my head now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Usual crap post started by someone full of bottles at 3:50am. Yawn.:rolleyes:

T'would be entirely unworkable.

For a start I would be referring to you as a "stating the obvious".
    That's just crap grammar.

The -ist part of a phrase does not have to be the same as other uses of it. The process could be called "stating the obvious" the ism you could use could be rationlist if you like.

Tongue back out of cheek however... The point is that regardless of whether you use the now overused and almost meaningless word of "intolerant" there is very good reason for people to stand up and resist religious ideas in our society. It is not intolerant, it is simply the right thing to do.

"Intolerant" is just the kind of word used by the religious who have realised no one is falling for the con any more and wishes to deflect from their lack of evidence by trying to attack the character of the people who inconveniently insist on pointing it out.

I know there's a whole debate about believing God and whether He exists or not, and some posters here disagree with what I was typing based on that argument. I'm not going there. That is something that has been flogged many times over by both sides, and it does not seem profitable to get into it here.

In order to address the original question of this thread though, I did want to emphasise the difference between the biblical and the religious. Religion is a farce, but God is outside of religion. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

Suicide - personal choice (albeit a very sad one).

Famine - caused in a lot of instances by despots who don't give a fiddler about their own people.

War - unfortunately it has to be fought to keep certain scum down.

Free will.

• Advertisement

In order to address the original question of this thread though, I did want to emphasise the difference between the biblical and the religious. Religion is a farce, but God is outside of religion. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

You have not established there IS such an entity so there is nothing to throw out.

Religion is a farce I agree. The Bible.... is just a book. We have many books. I advise reading as many as you can, the bible included. Do not make the error of elevating one single book as if it is more special than any other however. It is not.

Advertisement