Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thread was not closed/locked in time

Options
  • 12-08-2011 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

COMPLIANT:

I'm am so angry at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056354224

This thread is promoting the shooting and hurting of cats that roam free. I'm not saying users cannot complain about it being annoying but calling them vermin is not acceptable. About 25% of the posts were about whether its ok to shoot a cat that is on your land. This frightens me. I thought boards could not advocate cruelty to any animal. I PM'ed a Moderator (HellRazer) at 9:30pm and nothing happened. A moderator, AdrenalinJunkie actually joined at one stage and agreed with those anti cat comments as opposed to trying to keep the peace. It was eventually locked at 2am but that was not being I was called delusional. I am so angry this thread was allowed to continue. I believe it is against the forum charter.

I expect a response as to why this was not controlled earlier and why a moderator joined in and another one ignored my complaint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi audreyp

First things first. Our moderators are volunteers on this site, it's not their day job, they are not expected to be online 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A PM to a single moderator is a terrible idea.

You should have used the correct protocol which is to use the 'Report post' button to any post you found objectionable. This would have notified ALL of the moderators on the forum and then they could review the posts and decide if action was necessary.

We rely on users to help us report posts such as spam, those inciting racism or violence and other objectionable material too. The first time a post from that thread was reported was at 1.05 this morning and then another post at 2.05. You didn't report a single post, despite being online and engaged in the thread from early in the day.

Everyone has different opinions and this is a discussion forum. You don't have to like what someone says and you may find it upsetting. Report the objectionable posts and if anyone has condoned illegal activity then they can be punished accordingly. However if it is legal for a farmer to kill a cat that is causing problems on his land then I'm afraid you just have to live with that.

There is a big difference between your opinion of cruelty and what the law defines as cruelty. Many vegetarians view the eating of meat as 'cruel'. So should we ban discussion of cooking meat in the Food and Drink section of the forums? Many people view the keeping of any live animal as a pet to be 'cruel', should we stop discussion of the ownership of pets? Of course not but we should stop any mention of the illegal killing of animals so if you see an explicit mention of torture of an animal or illegal killing then report it.

Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I didn't know how to Report a Post. I just PM'ed the moderator, I thought that the best to do.

I stopped replying to the thread as I felt it was escalating and PM'ed a moderator. I believed this to be the right thing to do. The guy in question was not a farmer, just one who has helped out farms.

I am a vegetarian. But I don't think you should ban cooking forums. I believe this went over the line and insults were thrown and got personal. No one was willing to listen to any side of the story, I felt it was going nowhere and it was upsetting.

audreyp wrote: »
    I PM'ed a Moderator (HellRazer) at 9:30pm and nothing happened. A moderator, AdrenalinJunkie actually joined at one stage and agreed with those anti cat comments as opposed to trying to keep the peace.

You've made a very serious accusation against a moderator there and I see nothing to support that accusation. Adrenalinejunkie made statements of fact, he did not support anti-cat comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi Audreyp,

I would have preferred if you had contacted me directly or reported my posts on thread if you have an issue with my posts in A & PI. I'm afraid I can't do anything about it if I an not aware of the fact that someone has an issue with either my posts as a normal user of Boards.ie or my moderation of the forum. I'm not sure exactly what you think it is I have joined in with. I would like clarify that I am in fact a cat owner myself and all my pets are considered members of my immediate family. It seems like it is more the opinions of some posters (including myself) that you are taking issue with. I would be more than happy to expand on my post or clarify my own personal opinion on the thread should you wish to make your own contribution to the discussion. There were a number of posts that were reported on the thread and I have read through the whole thing again carefully, I didn't find anything that was really offensive enough (or otherwise incriminating) to justify keeping the thread locked and thus censoring the subject. I feel it's a topic that should be capable of being discussed in the forum in a reasonable manner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just want to reply to this to clarify something.

My pc packed up on Monday/Tuesday and Ive only had limited net access since then.

Thats why Audreys pm was not replied to.I have posted in teh A+p mods forum letting the other mods know my situation.And also pm`d SP and AJ so I want deliberately ignoring Audreyps pm.

Im all back up and running as of about an hour ago today.

• Advertisement

audreyp wrote: »
    I didn't know how to Report a Post. I just PM'ed the moderator, I thought that the best to do.

I stopped replying to the thread as I felt it was escalating and PM'ed a moderator. I believed this to be the right thing to do. The guy in question was not a farmer, just one who has helped out farms.

I am a vegetarian. But I don't think you should ban cooking forums. I believe this went over the line and insults were thrown and got personal. No one was willing to listen to any side of the story, I felt it was going nowhere and it was upsetting.

Thanks audrey. Just to let you know, to report a post click on this triangle report.gif underneath the username on every post. :)

That report is sent to the mods of that forum and they can all then see it and decide whether action is needed.

adrenalinejunkie is correct, it is something that should be discussed reasonably but it is an emotive subject. Whether we like it or not, some people view cats as pests, in the same way as farmers view pigeons that destroy crops! That can't be helped but is upsetting if you're a person who keeps cats and loves them. I really do like cats (and have done plenty of cat-sitting) but I despise my neighbours cat because he keeps pooing in my garden and her half-hearted attempts at burying it are not good enough for my liking. If he disappeared tomorrow my neighbour would be dreadfully upset, while I would possibly dance around my kitchen with joy :o
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    And also pm`d SP and AJ so I wasn't deliberately ignoring Audreyps pm.

Im all back up and running as of about an hour ago today.

Fixed your post :P Glad you're up and running again. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement