Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lucan/Orwell/Usher/UCD/Tiernans league rd. 19 - Mullagh

• 12-08-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Congrats to gav07 on his win in SS! Anyone else do well?

First time racing on the Mullagh for me. It was a constant war of attrition in the SS group - constant attacks from the start, resulting in a very stop/start pace, and wheels dropping. I'm told the win at the end came from a break, but I really have no idea... I was trying to make sure that if a break looked like it was going to win, I would be in it. This resulted in a lot of chasing, then recovering, then chasing... at one point I must've jumped about 300m to get to a break that had gone up the road. Nobody came with me, but about ten minutes later there was another group joining us, so maybe that was the break.

Anyway, gave it socks on the wheel of a Lucan lad as we came around the final corner. In hindsight, I was already going too hard with 500m to go, but I knew I wasn't going to outsprint the big boys. They came around me with about 20m to go, and I probably managed 8th or something.

Gav's been on cracking form the past couple of weeks, with his near-first place finish at the weekend. The win was well-fought, and well-deserved!

edit: I am completely spent today - my legs are totally empty. That's a good sign, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

SL was very odd last night, the pace was very up and down. There are really way too many people in the group, many of whom have no confidence in their ability to corner properly. Couple of solo breaks went away but were let to dangle and then reeled back in - it was always going to be a sprint finish on this one. On the last lap coming up to the last corner a couple of Lucan climbers tried to break away again but again were reeled in. I came around the last bend around 3rd or 4th, back onto the main road, and I was wary of going too early for the line, but then a couple more came around me and I was always playing catchup but never got back to them, rolled over around 8 or 10th I think. Disappointed, cos I was feeling good all evening and was hoping for a placing, but there were quite a lot of people reading from the book of cavendish it seems. Pretty goddamn tired today though.

Am I the only one who sleeps terribly after a race, having to get up and pee about twice during the night not to mention the handful of times between race and bed?

edit: Strava deets. I don't understand why each of the "segments" appears twice in my ride - anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kenmc wrote: »
    SL was very odd last night, the pace was very up and down.

Yup I agree. Though I will admit to being one of those wary in the conditions - I suppose it wasn't the best conditions to try out a new wheelset :rolleyes:

I did a bit of work at the front for the main road stretch and up the drag on the first lap but let everyone pass me on those corners as I didn't want to be braking and taking wide lines etc in that group. Hung about the back till we got back onto the main road when I went back up to the front to do a bit of work again.

Someone from Orwell broke away and got 50m, and whoever was on the front of the bunch moved to the center of the road since no one was passing up and over style. There was a moment's hesitation and I broke clear, bridged to the Orweller and said to him that we were clear if he wanted to continue.

From my point of view I wanted to test out the bike at race pace without risking taking the bunch out so I put in a bit of effort up the drag but told the other chap he'd be better off leading through the corners (which he duely did and I was able to follow thankfully). I think we worked well and I kept the effort up but I knew we'd get swallowed up eventually. We duely lasted until the turnoff back to Batterstown, and again my positioning wasn't great to maintain station at the head of the bunch for the final sprint.

All in all I learned a lot and the bike felt great once I got used to the wheels. I had a guess that my breakaway companion was Lumen due to the fold up bike :p so, thanks again to him for the breakaway effort.

Strava details. I really like the segment feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Yeah, frustrating on the corners - I was up near the front (SL) for the final turnoff onto the main road, and the wheel I was following practically braked to a stop to gingerly ooze around, as what seemed like a scene from '300' flashed by immediately on the right. FFFFfuuuuuuuuuu....

(All academic anyway as I have no sprint.)

In any case, the usual story as the hitherto-invisible crowd suddenly pop up on the main straight to tap into goal.

Fair play to our mini-breakaway, but the gap was pretty static and it was pretty clear that there were a lot of lads saving their powder and it wasn't going to stay all the way. More SL breakways FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Idleater wrote: »

36.9 km/h. That explains how we managed to stay away for so long.

Note to self: cycle faster.

oflahero wrote: »
    More SL breakways FTW.

SL Breakaways are a PITA because no one does anything until someone goes off the front and then the bunch wake up and furiously hunt down the break and then everyone sits back.

It's a funny view from the back as you can see the break going, pause for 5 seconds, sprint sprint sprint and the whole thing gets lined out for 30 seconds, break hit a slight incline and get caught and then there is the ensuing pulling of brakes as the whole bunch spreads across the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Any way to 'fix' the segments - last night's course apparently contained:
    *Club League - Mullagh Green Sheds
    *Mullagh Circuit - Club League
    *Batterstown - Green Sheds Course

PS Idleater - that was me who sent the follow request a little while ago. BFFs? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

First race in a few weeks for me, so had no gauge on how my form was for the SL group. Stretched the legs on the end of the first lap, and opened a gap. I was joined by a LCRC rider, and we stayed away for a wee while, getting caught halfway between the GAA club and the roundabout. Tucked back into the group happy that I had tested myself without leaving too much on the road. The group was riding sketchily to say the least, and I found myself feeling quite good on the back half of the last lap. I was beside Paul Tansey, and though that his was a good wheel to be on! Sadly in the melee coming to the last corner, he disappeared and I had lost 8 or 9 places, due to some ridiculous lines being taken be some. I kicked and got across to Romano, Paul and two others, I think, and when I went to kick again, found Romano and Paul had played it smarter, and John Marron on my wheel NEARLY pipping me for third; it was very close! Still, 3rd in the end, as well as a short stint up the road leaves me feeling happy with myself!

Note to self: learn to stick to the wheels you know are smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Tired, but El Tonto if you are reading this (unlikely as you are now called something else, Val Kilmer or something) I got my pizza: Pizza Hut E20 meal deal. Boom!

buffalo wrote: »
    Any way to 'fix' the segments - last night's course apparently contained:
    *Club League - Mullagh Green Sheds
    *Mullagh Circuit - Club League
    *Batterstown - Green Sheds Course

PS Idleater - that was me who sent the follow request a little while ago. BFFs? ;)

And I have just found the "Pending requests" section ... :)

If you click on each segment it brings you to all the associated timings for that segment. The relevant ones for yesterday were Mullagh and the TT for mid section interest (I was a couple of seconds faster in the actual TT than in the bunch yesterday, and lumen and I were slower for the TT section than the bunch on the first lap :rolleyes:)

One feature I'd like from strava/garmin is to edit the upload. Some people (:o) are obviously too focused on finishing the race and then chatting with fellow competitors that they forget to stop the timer until they head back to the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

One feature I'd like from strava/garmin is to edit the upload. Some people (:o) are obviously too focused on finishing the race and then chatting with fellow competitors that they forget to stop the timer until they head back to the car

You need to edit it in raw xml really, or use something like sporttracks to delete bits of the ride or split it. It's a downside right enough

• Advertisement

If you click on each segment it brings you to all the associated timings for that segment. The relevant ones for yesterday were Mullagh and the TT for mid section interest (I was a couple of seconds faster in the actual TT than in the bunch yesterday, and lumen and I were slower for the TT section than the bunch on the first lap :rolleyes:)

I don't really know what any of that numbery stuff means, but I think the lesson from last night's SL race is that if you want to be left alone in a break to enjoy delusions of competence, make sure the break contains a rider from Orwell.

Semi-limit is mostly Orwell, and Orwell riders don't chase down their clubmates until they get promoted to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Found last night in SL tough going. After having done the Orwell Randonee on Sunday, I could really feel it in the legs the first lap. I started around the middle, floated to the back, then was dropped a couple of times because I wasn't entirely happy with the pace (must have been the group chasing down a couple of break attempts).

On the second lap I started to feel a bit better, legs started to get going, so I worked my way up towards the front, and for the last 4-5kms was in a good position - where I wanted to be.

Adrenaline obviously kicked in, was up towards the business end and felt comfortable, or so I thought.

I chased down a couple of breaks, but at one stage in the last 2kms another Orwell rider - told us that we were a bunch of 6 and to do some work. I really should have dug in there and tried to help out and increase the gap, I didn't and am disgusted with myself. Poor tactics.

So into the last corner, was floating around 5th-10th, took the inside line, slowed too much and needed to put the power down, but nothing in the legs for the sprint. Tried to dig in, but riders were going past me - my chance of a place was gone so I sat up.

It was good and bad really. After being 1 of 5 riders called out in the Orwell forum for a bump up to SS, it was a bit of a reality check that I need more training.

Looking forward though to trying to make some amends for my Cav tactics in the last 2 races, going to go full tilt at them and not care about blowing up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Really enjoyed last night's race. I'm 11 weeks off the smokes now and beginning to feel stronger and last night was the most comfortable I'd felt in a race all year.

My cornering and positioning went to pieces after a crash late last year and the confidence is slowly coming back. It's still not perfect and I fluffed a few corners last night but compared to where I was I'm fairly happy. Biggest mistake was letting myself stay far too back coming out of the last corner. I can sprint, but I had no hope of getting up to contest for the placings. I'll know better next time.

Some over-eager riding on the first lap. People tend to be way too keen to chase everything straight away, even moves by their own team mates. Second lap settled things down a bit. Lumen and Idleater got a nice break going, which was chased mainly by an Usher lad. They only got caught when Stef from Tiernans put in a big effort near the end.

I'm 11 weeks off the smokes now

Well done! Harder than any race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

First race in a few weeks for me, so had no gauge on how my form was for the SL group. Stretched the legs on the end of the first lap, and opened a gap. I was joined by a LCRC rider, and we stayed away for a wee while

That LCRC rider was me. I felt strong the whole night. Tried to shake things up a little on the first time up the Mullagh to see who had the legs by going off the front a little and then go again when the bunch rode up to me.:D Then later after you went up the road, I decided to try and jump across. When I got over to you and looked back, no one was coming after us so we gave it ago. It was a good effort, but the wind on the main road and the slight onset of stitches called game over on that one. For a while I thought that the second breakaway with Lumen and Idleater was going to stay away. But it started to slowly come back together. Coming up to the last bend I gave a dig and got to the front. Had a perfect line and was the first around the corner and then gave it everything for the line. Couldn't believe I was in that position after what I had done earlier in the race. However when I looked up I was only half way to the line and the legs were starting to turn to jelly. I could feel the speed dropping and I got passed by the bunch. Fair play to you for hanging in there and getting a result.
    Shame that's the last DMS of the league. :(

lalorm wrote: »
    That LCRC rider was me. I felt strong the whole night. Tried to shake things up a little on the first time up the Mullagh to see who had the legs by going off the front a little and then go again when the bunch rode up to me.:D Then later after you went up the road, I decided to try and jump across. When I got over to you and looked back, no one was coming after us so we gave it ago. It was a good effort, but the wind on the main road and the slight onset of stitches called game over on that one. For a while I thought that the second breakaway with Lumen and Idleater was going to stay away. But it started to slowly come back together. Coming up to the last bend I gave a dig and got to the front. Had a perfect line and was the first around the corner and then gave it everything for the line. Couldn't believe I was in that position after what I had done earlier in the race. However when I looked up I was only half way to the line and the legs were starting to turn to jelly. I could feel the speed dropping and I got passed by the bunch. Fair play to you for hanging in there and getting a result.
    Shame that's the last DMS of the league. :(

Yeah, you looked to have settled once you were back in the group, thought you were going fairly well. Lumen and Idleater's break looked good, they seemed to have a few strong riders with them, but the pace of the group went up dramatically when we got to the back end of the lap and I guess that was that then! That drag from the last corner to the finish line is always deceptively long; I tried to play it smart, but there's always someone playing it smarter! Ah well, beaten by two of the most experienced lads in SL, nothing to be ashamed of for me!

Cheers for the support on the break, I reckon had I been out there alone for much longer I'd have popped totally. It was handy having someone to help set a steady pace and give the odd breather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Cheers for the support on the break, I reckon had I been out there alone for much longer I'd have popped totally. It was handy having someone to help set a steady pace and give the odd breather.

Maybe if we had one more rider with us we could have done more. Not enough time to recover after each turn at the front.

lalorm wrote: »
    Maybe if we had one more rider with us we could have done more. Not enough time to recover after each turn at the front.

I made it half way across then saw you sitting alongside each other chatting. So I sat up.

Next time look more serious. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    I made it half way across then saw you sitting alongside each other chatting. So I sat up.

Next time look more serious. :pac:

That was when we were saying that there's someone on their way, steady on till he gets here and start kicking on then! We had a quick chat about how the legs were and took on a bit of food waiting for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

I'm told the win at the end came from a break, but I really have no idea...

Yeah, they were gone before the roundabout on lap one. Very impressive ride by Gavin and the lad from UCD.

And great ride by Buffalo, too. Don't be listening to any of those old vets <cough> trying to gee you up to attack more. You did plenty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

SS knocked the crap out of legs last night, 3rd race in 5 days, attacked about 6 times trying to breakaway but nothing stuck , felt like everytime i chased down a small break the pelaton said thats so many men up road and chased it back, legs fell off in the final km and drifted of the rear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Dont know where eveyone else was but i though what the f~~k when the SS group broke in the middle in the first 5 km and and about a 100m gap opened up. Knew after that it wasnt going to a doddle to get round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

The Crunch wrote: »
    Yeah, they were gone before the roundabout on lap one. Very impressive ride by Gavin and the lad from UCD.

And great ride by Buffalo, too. Don't be listening to any of those old vets <cough> trying to gee you up to attack more. You did plenty!

Thanks! Paid for it in the end - like lalorm, couldn't keep up the pace on the home straight.

I hope you weren't the guy I called a bollocks along the way. I had just been caught and was on way back through the bunch when someone decided to sit on my wheel instead of coming around me. I waved them on a couple of times as I continued to drift back, but I guess my hand was missed, because some shouting started. I apologised to a Lucan guy later, the shouty one. I think that's who I was shouting at, but I'm really not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

I hope you weren't the guy I called a bollocks along the way.

Definitely not me (even if it would have been accurate). I was your team manager in Ras de Cymru.

I apologised to a Lucan guy later, the shouty one.

You're going to have to narrow it down a bit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 gav07

That SS race ended up as tough on the legs as the 25TT! It was good to see a few attacks go off the front at the start, promising to be a more open race - so different to the handicaps when there's far more inertia and it generally all stays together. The early breaks of 1 or 2 riders were reeled in quickly. When the UCD rider got a 50m gap half-way up the Mullagh without much of a response, I jumped across to him, probably hoping another 1 or 2 would follow because for the next chunk of time I was only thinking it is way too early to go with only 2 of us and how wrecked I'd be when we eventually blew up. But he was strong so there was a chance.

We pushed hard early on to open a gap and then just took our turns well. A few pings in my calves in the last 10km - there's just so much less time to take a drink staying on a wheel before pushing to the front again - didn't bode well for a sprint if we made it home. But we got to the last corner just clear and had a straight sprint. Happy to get my first win - in my last league race for the season :(

Well done Ross on a good break, some great pulls and sound tactical strategy!

I thought our number was up after the 2nd Mullagh drag when a small group seemed to be closing. But later on, looking over a shoulder and not seeing anyone is as good a fillip as any energy gel!

Advertisement