Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interviews on while I'm away! What do I do?

• 12-08-2011 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone!....panic!
    The secretary of a local school just phoned this second about an interview next week for a job I'd love.
    The only problem is............
    I'm going on holidays tonight ( stupid idea wasn't it considering I'm job hunting!)I would come home for it if I was sure the job wasn't already gone.
    Should I say something to the school?
    What will I do?

Thanks for any advice:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You said it yourself, its time of year when interviews will be on.
    Ideally the school won't be able to saw anything in sense of fairness.
    I thought you had to get seven days notice of interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Newteacher

Thanks TheDriver!

Never heard that about 7 days.

Im mad with myself. You're right. The school can't say anything. I don't know anyone I could ask on the QT if the jobs gone either.

Tough one!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would it be worth ringing the school and explaining that you will be away - you don't have to say 'on holiday' and is there any possibility they could reschedule your interview. Its worth a try.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

worth a try but most unlikely, there are so many people looking for jobs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

worth a try but most unlikely, there are so many people looking for jobs right now.

Especially when it's so close to the school year. If the interview is next week that's the week before school, they aren't going to postpone it I'd say. Tbh their attitude will be why did you book holidays when you were job hunting? And I've had interviews at less than 7 days notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Hey, look all you can do is give her a ring and say that you'll be away, no need to mention why. Ask if it's possible to reschedule and if she can't, then ask if there's many going for it and would it be worth your while changing your plans. If she's nice, she might let you know if there are many in for it etc. You can always express your interest in the school and ask them to keep you in mind if the interviews don't work out. In fairness, other than cancelling your holiday (and if it's a cheap one, I'd consider it), you've nothing to lose by ringing.

Thats probably the best plan deemark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

If it's a job you'd love then in my opinion you should go for the interview if it can't be rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Newteacher

Well guys....thanks for all your answers!

Im here in a sunny clime and have decided to take a ryanair flight back for the interview and fly back again straight afterwards. My bf reckons that this interview wont come up again for years and it is my only chance to introduce them to me....even if the job is already gone.

So Im going for it....a bit mad ...but in this jobs climate I think Im going to have to do something mad to get a job. Perhaps if I tell them I flew back especially for it they might feel sorry for me!! :}

Thanks again everyone...ill keep ye postd!!!

All the best!! Could be worth every penny of the ryanair flight if it results in a job

• Advertisement
Advertisement