Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renault good or bad

• 12-08-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all I am thinking of changing my camper, the one I am looking at is on a Renault 2.5 ltr 120 bhp I have no knowledge of renaults Can I get you opions or experiances please. Currently on a Ducato

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

eura wrote: »
    Hi all I am thinking of changing my camper, the one I am looking at is on a Renault 2.5 ltr 120 bhp I have no knowledge of renaults Can I get you opions or experiances please. Currently on a Ducato

Is that the 2.5dci G9u engine?

Previous models before 20003 seem to have common gearbox (higher miles) and immobiliser problems.

If the dci model a family friend had a fleet of 13 of them on the road for two years the only prolbme they had was that they were constantly replacing wishbones and retracking them and replacing front tyres after mounting kerbs and pulling into ditches in the normal course of business. They didn't have that problem aith other van models before or since. These van would have had a good load at all times similar to a coachbuilt motorhome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eura

Hi Paddy thanks for the reply,would you buy renault if the right van was right. Any mechanics out there with views would be apprechiated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

we've been selling them on new factory coachbuilts since 2006 , and they have proven to be more reliable , more comfortable and more economical than the Ducatos . And I say that as a firm Fiat fan . You simply can't compare normal van use with MH use , they just don't get the same abuse . The gearbox issue was more prevalent on the smaller Trafic , and pre 2006... and if the g'box was filled to the higher mark and the oil changed regularly , they gave no more trouble than any other van . My Dad even used Renault based Adria "A" classes for 3 years , towing the rally car right across Europe . And nary a concern .

The interior isn't as nice a place to be as the equivalent Ducato , something the new ones have addressed , apparently .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 eura

Hi Aidan thanks for the reply,there are so many negative blogs out there with regard to renaults.It's good to get an honest view from someone in the know.How would I check to see if the gear box has any problems?? if I purchased the first thing I would do, is change the gear box oil and fill to the max and change it every year.

drive it! check for baulking going into gear , whining , and jumping out of gear .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 blokarter

Sorry...a bit late posting here..

I have a Knaus based on an 07 Renault Master.

It drives very well. The only problem we have had is the EGR valve needed replaced in July this year. It turned out to be an electical problem within the EGR system but still need the main piece replaced..

Expensive !

I have been told that Renault do give bother with electrics as they get older..

EGR valves fail on EVERYTHING these days , it's our bad quality diesel .

Advertisement