Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT211 Computing in DIT

Options
  • 12-08-2011 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey, does anyone know what this particular course is like? I only know what's on the DIT website and would like to hear from some people who are currently on the course or who have been on the course!

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

As a graduate of Computing, i'd recommend Computer Science. Much better structure and has a 6 month work placement in third year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paula_K

I've already chosen Computing as it was my second choice! Being an idiot, I was so convinced I'd get my first choice (applied computing at WIT) that I didn't really pay much attention to my other choices, so Computer Science is my third choice. Apparently you can only get offered higher choices by CAO.

They don't look too different which is why I said I'd stick with computing! Can you tell me anything about the course either way? Is it really bad? :P I'm really interested in the programming end of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Yeah i'm in dt211. Here's a facebook group that was inspired by the course https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=476282790507 . That's not to say it's all bad or how much of that is just unfortunate circumstances or the dit or even just "college" in general.

On the work placement though, dt211 get's internship for 2 years in 3rd and 4th year. We do 2 days a week and 3 of college so i'd actually say we're better in that respect. (and also you're expected to work summers). It's actually quite nice to be able to get a bit of income consistently and not just for 6 months)

dt228 (comp science) does seem to be more popular than dt211 from what i've seen but it's pretty hard to tell. One of the big differences is that dt211 does ccna which is a big bonus. DT228 seems to do a bit more programming, haskel, c++, game programming etc.

I've read a number of documents and talked to a lecture or two about it and i still can't actually put my finger on the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

I've just looked at the timetable for the computing (dt211), can someone please tell me I'm not actually going to have to be in 9-6 almost every day?! Its HORRIBLE!

PlayGirl wrote: »
    I've just looked at the timetable for the computing (dt211), can someone please tell me I'm not actually going to have to be in 9-6 almost every day?! Its HORRIBLE!

Haha yeah I seen that too. If you look at it it has alot of DT211/1 A's B's and C's ... I think the class will be split up into groups and we go to the corresponding classes! Not sure though! : )

• Advertisement

Paula_K wrote: »
    Haha yeah I seen that too. If you look at it it has alot of DT211/1 A's B's and C's ... I think the class will be split up into groups and we go to the corresponding classes! Not sure though! : )

Hope so! I went from being delighted on monday to thinking of droping out already lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hope so! I went from being delighted on monday to thinking of droping out already lol

Don't worry about it, the course doesnt have crazy hours, your timetable will change anyway.

I'm just going into 3rd year btw, I'm in the same year as wolfric.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

i really hated this course altogther! i dropped out by christmas :D
    hours are long and classes are terrible, most lecturers talk a load of bull and are quite useless if your in anyway stuck with something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I missed the induction day for this today due to some unfortunate circumstances, can anyone fill me in on what I missed?

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I missed the induction day for this today due to some unfortunate circumstances, can anyone fill me in on what I missed?

Hey! You didn't miss too much, most of the info they gave us (about DITSU, socs etc) is all available online. The statements 'don't hesitate to ask us if you need help with anything' and 'get involved' were repeated alot. We got a student handbook which you'll get again. We were shown videos that are all available on the colleges youtube I think.

We were given a tour as well but not many had a clue where we were going due to not being able to hear the tour guide! So you'll be as lost as the rest of us! :P

We have to be in tomorrow between 10am and 12am, we're being split up into different rooms between Aungier St. and Kevin St. My second name begins with K so I'm in room 005 in Aungier street.

You might want to go in a bit early before 10am and explain your situation to someone in Kevin St. and they'll most likely show you where to go. It shouldn't be a problem, by the sounds of it tomorrow is more important and more about the actual course itself than today was.

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask. Cheers! :)

• Advertisement

were the timetables given out today? how many groups are the classes split to? (my surname begins with f?)

were the timetables given out today? how many groups are the classes split to? (my surname begins with f?)

I think when they split the class into groups is was just for tomorrow! I'd say we will be permanently split into 'DT211/1A' b and c etc but they never mentioned that today. You'll have to find out tomorrow what class you need to be in for the two hours, I think you're in Kevin st (a girl I was talking to had the surname beginning with G and that's where she went) but I'm not 100% sure.

We haven't gotten timetables, someone asked and we where told our class tutor would let us know. No one let us know. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

That's brilliant, thanks Paula! I'll go in tomorrow and find out where the Ls are hanging out. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cenright

Im going into 3rd year too my advice to first years is to attend all your algorithms tutorials because the exam at the end of first year is hard enough! and don't go by your timetable being set in stone, I remember our timetable in first year got changed at least 4 times was completely different after a few weeks then the original!

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    That's brilliant, thanks Paula! I'll go in tomorrow and find out where the Ls are hanging out. :pac:

I'd say you'll be in 005 in Aungier street as my surname begins with K so that's where I am. It'd be good to double check though :P

Thanks for the tip cenright! I'll keep that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Motivatedhobo

I was lucky enough to get into a tour of 6 people, so thankfully I have an idea of were I'm going (I say that now).

Best bit of today had to be the Blue Screen of Death, maybe I found that funnier then I should have...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I was lucky enough to get into a tour of 6 people, so thankfully I have an idea of were I'm going (I say that now).

Best bit of today had to be the Blue Screen of Death, maybe I found that funnier then I should have...

Blue screen of Death?

Do elaborate...

Blue screen of Death?

Do elaborate...

They where preparing a presentation of some sort on the big screen in the main hall when the computer crashed and the blue screen of death came up. T'was pretty funny, the applause they got was even funnier! :P

They where preparing a presentation of some sort on the big screen in the main hall when the computer crashed and the blue screen of death came up. T'was pretty funny, the applause they got was even funnier! :P

Oh I see. Well at least they got an applause!

Hey, we start classes tomorrow and I can't get into the timetable online! All I keep getting is an error screen with "The connection to webtimetables.dit.ie was interrupted." I have no idea what my first class is tomorrow, anyone know what I should do? Are the timetables down for everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Hey, we start classes tomorrow and I can't get into the timetable online! All I keep getting is an error screen with "The connection to webtimetables.dit.ie was interrupted." I have no idea what my first class is tomorrow, anyone know what I should do? Are the timetables down for everyone?

Down for me! Wouldnt be suprised if everyone is trying to get on to see what they have tomorrow and its crashed..that or they are being changed/updated and hence taken down! Id say give it a while and try again! :)

Zyzz wrote: »
    Down for me! Wouldnt be suprised if everyone is trying to get on to see what they have tomorrow and its crashed..that or they are being changed/updated and hence taken down! Id say give it a while and try again! :)

Cheers mate! What do you reckon I should do if they're not up by tomorrow, be in for 9am?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Cheers mate! What do you reckon I should do if they're not up by tomorrow, be in for 9am?

Yeh I'd say that would be your best bet! Its a bit shameful though on DIT's part if the timetable isnt back up by tonight/early morning..sure keep an eye out just incase it does go back online, Ill make a post here if does!

Zyzz wrote: »
    Yeh I'd say that would be your best bet! Its a bit shameful though on DIT's part if the timetable isnt back up by tonight/early morning..sure keep an eye out just incase it does go back online, Ill make a post here if does!

Cheers, I'll keep an eye on it as well! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Welcome to DIT! Where essential IT services die at the most critical of times! Hahaha.

All the timetables will be printed outside the computing office, on the third floor of the annex building. Go up the stairs to the 3rd floor, and there'll be a hall on the right. Go down there, and there's a bulletin board on the left past a couple of classes with the timetables on it.

Welcome to DIT! Where essential IT services die at the most critical of times! Hahaha.

All the timetables will be printed outside the computing office, on the third floor of the annex building. Go up the stairs to the 3rd floor, and there'll be a hall on the right. Go down there, and there's a bulletin board on the left past a couple of classes with the timetables on it.

I'll be looking forward to four years of that then! :P

Cheers for the info as well. I'll take a note of it as I'm not going to rely on the site to be back up!

Oh and if anyone from DT211 first year is online and has any idea of tomorrow's timetable can they let us know, cheers!

Oh and if anyone from DT211 first year is online and has any idea of tomorrow's timetable can they let us know, cheers!

Have a look through the Know Your DIT Thread and see if any one from DT211 is there. The little light under their name will be green if they're online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are you a first year Paula?

If so try webcourses (student number for username and dob for password). If you are lucky your tutor might have sent out a timetable in a spreadsheet.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys but nothing there! I'm 99% sure we're in for 10am tomorrow morning. I had it written down, so I'll be in for then. I'll head up to where the timetables are in the annex building and see what the story is! Thanks for all the advice guys! :)

Advertisement