Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding 2 month old

• 12-08-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭

my 2 month old son is still feeding every 3 hours, the odd time he goes to 4 but not much. just wondering when the time between feeds should be getting longer! plus, he cries for food but once we start feeding him he falls asleep and find it hard to get rest of the bottle into him.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

When he's ready.

Some babies will feed less frequently early on, some like more frequent feeds for a longer time. I don't buy into the thinking that by x month your child should feed x times b/c no two babies are the same.

Your son will let you know when he's ready.

Also, as per the falling asleep bit, have you considered that he's not actually hungry? It's very common that people automatically think crying = hungry, but it's very possible that your son wants something else if he's crying but won't eat. Maybe he just wanted the comfort of your arms, maybe he just wanted to suck...ahhh, the maybes of parenting...they'll drive you nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Winnie wrote: »
    my 2 month old son is still feeding every 3 hours, the odd time he goes to 4 but not much. just wondering when the time between feeds should be getting longer! plus, he cries for food but once we start feeding him he falls asleep and find it hard to get rest of the bottle into him.......

Thats normal enough during the first 3 months,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Ayla wrote: »
    Also, as per the falling asleep bit, have you considered that he's not actually hungry? It's very common that people automatically think crying = hungry, but it's very possible that your son wants something else if he's crying but won't eat. Maybe he just wanted the comfort of your arms, maybe he just wanted to suck...ahhh, the maybes of parenting...they'll drive you nuts!

well we try make sure its hunger, we check for everything else first plus he lets us know he is hungry as he starts to sucks his hand and if we pick him up, he starts to root and tries sucking my t-shirt!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I take it that he is a breast fed baby?
    If he is then it is perfectly normal and could be for a while.
    Once he is putting on weight well then it is fine:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

he is bottle fed, weight is fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I understand what you're saying, but rooting & sucking hand still doesn't necessarily mean hunger. Babies suck as a natural comfort, and as his mom you're natually the one he'd look to for that cuddle. Have you tried just holding him close (w/ a dummy, if you use them) - as if you were b/feeding him - so he has the comfort but not the food? Have you tried wearing him in a sling so he feels & hears your heartbeat?

I b/fed both of my girls and they were on & off again more times then I could count (I didn't even bother counting truthfully) so I certainly don't have any suggestions for stretching the feeding times out. I've also dealt with the hand sucking/whingy struggle which resulted in sleep the instant they latched on. It's hard, I know, but try to understand what your son - with his primitive animal instincts - is trying to say right now.

Also, if you're bottle feeding, I'd suggest forgetting about how much you get into him...he'll eat when & if he's hungry. Maybe he only wants an ounce at a time...he doesn't have to toe the line of what everyone thinks he should eat.

Advertisement