Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new arrivals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Why would we need this?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

lakeroad wrote: »
    Just drove by around 20mins ago and saw three vans with caravans trying to get onto the new section of road. Called Greystones Garda Station and was told they could do nothing as the IDA had given them permission to enter their land. :mad:What are the IDA playing at?

Lakeroad
    I can't believe that IDA gave the "visitors" permission to occupy their land. Where did you get this information from?. Did Garda ask IDA if they would allow "visitors" to camp?
    Passed by last evening and noticed heavy blocks had been moved, Left hand gate open and down in the cul-de-sac the "visitors" were still on site. If gates were closed and blocks moved who removed them and opened gate? Looks like the "visitors" themselves did the moving.
    What will we have next, 100's of wagons with their occupants. When they eventually leave we will be left with the rubbish and desecration they leave behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Threads merged again. Please folks, can we keep this in one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I cannot believe that the IDA actually said or agreed to this. Has this come from a credible source?

Was in Superquinn on Saturday night and there was a young lad in the queue in front of me - quite obviously not from around here - and looked about 14. When it came to his turn, he requested a bottle of vodka. The lad at the till took his ID and went to that friendly manager chap who came back telling him to get lost. His ID had a DOB for 94, but he couldn't understand how that didn't make him 18?!?! :confused: When I came out of the shop he started hassling me to get him some vodka. After being rejected by me and the chap behind me, he hopped into this NI reg white van and sped off. How he's even legal to drive that I don't know! It all seemed odd at the time, but after learning of our new visitors, things are falling into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Langerland wrote: »
    I cannot believe that the IDA actually said or agreed to this. Has this come from a credible source?

Was in Superquinn on Saturday night and there was a young lad in the queue in front of me - quite obviously not from around here - and looked about 14. When it came to his turn, he requested a bottle of vodka. The lad at the till took his ID and went to that friendly manager chap who came back telling him to get lost. His ID had a DOB for 94, but he couldn't understand how that didn't make him 18?!?! :confused: When I came out of the shop he started hassling me to get him some vodka. After being rejected by me and the chap behind me, he hopped into this NI reg white van and sped off. How he's even legal to drive that I don't know! It all seemed odd at the time, but after learning of our new visitors, things are falling into place.
    While I understand your post, underagers buying drink and 17 year olds driving aren't something specific to travellers and if you walk around during the weekend evenings, you'll find some local 17 year olds looking for the same thing. That being said, in my experience, the majority of travellers I've encountered have been rude, violent and thieving. Then again, I've seen some that are are nicer than some settled folk. Realistically, I do feel a little less safe if going for a walk around the town now, particularly at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

vinpaul wrote: »
    Lakeroad
    I can't believe that IDA gave the "visitors" permission to occupy their land. Where did you get this information from?. Did Garda ask IDA if they would allow "visitors" to camp?
    Passed by last evening and noticed heavy blocks had been moved, Left hand gate open and down in the cul-de-sac the "visitors" were still on site. If gates were closed and blocks moved who removed them and opened gate? Looks like the "visitors" themselves did the moving.
    What will we have next, 100's of wagons with their occupants. When they eventually leave we will be left with the rubbish and desecration they leave behind.

Hey Vinpaul, As my post said I spoke to a Garda in Greystones Garda Station and he said they had been told that the IDA had given the Visitors permission to access the site. Don't be making stupid comments like "Where did you get this information from?" its all in the post if you read it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

lakeroad wrote: »
    Hey Vinpaul, As my post said I spoke to a Garda in Greystones Garda Station and he said they had been told that the IDA had given the Visitors permission to access the site. Don't be making stupid comments like "Where did you get this information from?" its all in the post if you read properly!
    The Gardai were telling you porkies cos they are fed up with people ringing them>simple

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Langerland wrote: »

I totally agree, I still can't believe that the IDA would give permission but this is what I was told when I called the Station last night. They could do nothing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Just say wicklow coco water unit up at the site, not sure whether they were turning water on or off but a unmarked garda car went into the site before them. I find it hard to believe the IDA would allow them to errect a temp halting site, is there any precedence anywhere else in ireland. Cant think Charlesland GC would be over joyed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Just off the phone to the GCC and they are not aware of any water truck out at that site. They advised that as it is an IDA managed site any concerns / questions / queries should be directed at them.

I also contacted the Mgt company for the Park and they were unaware of any situation developing either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Millers02

I phoned the IDA this morning to see what the story is. The man responsible for our area was out, but he has just phoned back to say that they are aware of the situation and are in the process of taking out an eviction notice. He says they are aiming to move people on in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

I hope they don't move back to Jackie Skelly's area if the IDA court order is served.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Millers02 beat me to it, but I was in touch with the IDA as well - the visitors definitely don't have permission to be there, and following discussions with them the understanding was that they would move on today. As they're still there, steps are being taken to evict them, after which more blocks will be put in place to seal off the road.

Glad to hear that IDA did not give permission for them to park on their lands. I hope getting eviction order doesn't drag on as they sometimes do.
    Now that the harbour area is approaching the finishing stages, I hope we won' t see "visitors" parking up there. Remember, some years ago a large contingent of travellers from the UK arrived and spent some days opposite the Beach House. WCC must be vigilant and keep all unwelcome visitors at a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

They've been coming every year around about this time for years. Calm down everyone....they'll move on shortly regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

recedite wrote: »
    IDA came in for criticism over recent years for hogging the site and not coming up with any industrial development/ jobs.
    Maybe now they have a handy excuse for inactivity?

Pretty pathetic effort to waste so much of our money "developing" a site with no demand or tenants identified in advance, during a recession... Typical of the type of "thinking" at the so called management level of state and semi-state bodies. Though you can be sure the pressure to "look like you are doing something" came from government.

Travellers are the only demand for this "development"...development being one of the great oxymorons of the last decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The works there provided jobs for people over a number of months and we now have the infrastructure in place for new businesses to come into Greystones... hardly a waste of time

The works there provided jobs for people over a number of months and we now have the infrastructure in place for new businesses to come into Greystones... hardly a waste of time

an illegal halting site is hardly going to attract any business! :)

Pony trade maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 INUTERO

The IDA sent the heavies on to the site earlier and have locked it up,they hope to have them moved on by today or early tomorrow at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's terrible the way we treat tourists here...

[/joke]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

INUTERO wrote: »
    The IDA sent the heavies on to the site earlier and have locked it up,they hope to have them moved on by today or early tomorrow at the latest.

I saw them earlier, big guys too. They had blocked the entrance with their trucks and also blocked off another entrance between the bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Jimjay wrote: »
    INUTERO wrote: »

I saw them earlier, big guys too. They had blocked the entrance with there trucks and also blocked off another entrance between the bushes.
    Isn't that what I said in my earlier post. It is counter intuitive but blocking them in is the answer. (if that indeed is what they did) So are the travellers gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Lots of extra concrete across in front of all the gates this evening. Couldn't see anyone in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Can anyone confirm if this is case closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mean_Day

I was in the Shoreline pool last night and I couldn't get over the amount of "visitors" were in there. There was at least 7-10 out of control kids with no parental supervision and then half way through the swim the presumed fathers of the children emerged from the sauna/steam room area. Was really not impressed with Shoreline considering it was supposed to be an adult swim. Lifeguard seem to be adding to the chaos with the kids letting it get more out of control.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if this is case closed?
    Was cyling through Charlesland at about 4:00 yesterday afternoon when about 16 vans & caravans passed by heading south towards N11. Hope their gone far away. Alas they will be someone else's problem this morning.

Mean_Day wrote: »
    I was in the Shoreline pool last night and I couldn't get over the amount of "visitors" were in there. There was at least 7-10 out of control kids with no parental supervision and then half way through the swim the presumed fathers of the children emerged from the sauna/steam room area. Was really not impressed with Shoreline considering it was supposed to be an adult swim. Lifeguard seem to be adding to the chaos with the kids letting it get more out of control.

Sounds like they enjoyed their holiday here anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

And everyone can put their torches and pitchforks away till next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 INUTERO

Will put the white sheets away so till next year.;)

Advertisement