Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford running club?

Options
  • 12-08-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi All,

New to running, well running for the last year.
    Is there any running club in Headford / Caherlistrane? Would there be any interest in one? I am new in the area.

I see http://www.trilakestc.com/ is tri club around Caherlistrane / Headford... Maybe something could be set up in conjuction... I don;t know...

Just sending out to see what the story is????

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Running has taken on a whole new impetus over the past couple of years. I know that there are huge numbers at it in Tuam, Craughwell, Loughrea and the city. I'm sure there are a good few in the Headford area that would love to be attached to a club that would participate in the various 8ks and 10ks around the place. The 5k series in May is hugely popular. Best of luck with it and if you want any advice, just PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

While I'm not aware of a Headford AC, if you can get contact numbers for the guys behind the Headford 8K, you might be in some luck. You never know - they might start one with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LibbyW

Hi
    I'd be really interested in a running club based in Headford. Living in Annaghdown and joined the GCH Fit for Life but something closer would be great to meet and train.
    Did hear something about a running club starting here in Annaghdown but new to the area so didn't hear anything else and don't know who to ask!
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Headford

There is definitely no running club based in headford however there is alway scope to start one with the right amount of people. I can put out feelers on Headford Online and see if we get any feedback.

Karen

• Registered Users Posts: 13 luckycat

I would definitely be interested in joining a meet & train group in Headford. I also have a couple of friends who'd join up and last year, I got feedback from others on a discussion on Rollercoaster also who are interested too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I and my OH would be interested too for Headford/Caherlistrane

So thats at least 4 people interested in running in headford and surrounding areas, why not organise to meet up and start your own running club? Start informally, get a few running routes, a night to meet up and then see if you can get a few more people and then start an official club? I can put the word out on headfordonline.com if you get things up and running?

Just a thought :-) Best of Luck either way :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

Hey,

I wonder should we all just meet up and decide if there is enough interest?
    Whats involved in setting up? To be honest I am very new to running, last year or so, I am reluctant to take the lead on this? I seen the notice on headfordonline as well...

Running isnt my thing but if someone wants to take the lead on getting even an informal running club up and going then I will do what I can to post any information on Headford Online as we have a fair few readers.

Maybe the folks at Solas Resource Centre might be able to help if a more formal club was formed.

Karen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I know (and often see) a few people around headford who run, some who I think are with GCH. I might be interested but all depends on times of day and if there are other people as slow as me involved :o

In terms of training are most people talking about evenings? Any ideas on lit routes for the dark evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

actually... any objections to posting a link to this thread on the A/R/T forum?

No objections at all littlebug to posting link in the ART forum.
    The winter nights are an issue alright.

I know from the corner chapel, up to joyces is fairly lit up but after that it is not great. I also think there is a track around the pitches in Belclare, I have never used them so I am not sure....

We could also just meet on a Saturday or Sunday... I am not sure to be honest whats the best.... I know I used to see a group of 5 / 6 people running in headford about a year ago. Have not seen them lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Run For Joy

Hi i know i'm very late posting on this tread but just wondering was there any club set up in headford....?
    I just moved to headford and would love to do a half marathon then do the dublin full marathon,
    If i dont get a reply i'll just keep trainning on my own :)

Hi i know i'm very late posting on this tread but just wondering was there any club set up in headford....?
    I just moved to headford and would love to do a half marathon then do the dublin full marathon,
    If i dont get a reply i'll just keep trainning on my own :)
    Not that I heard of. I ended up training alone, which suited me fine, using a Couch to 5k program and I'm now up to 8k with a view to running a 10k soon. There's a girl running the ParkerGoFitness group who organises Sunday morning runs in the area, sometimes around The Demesne. She also runs Circuit Training classes in Kilcoona and is on Facebook so you'll find her number there. If anyone feels like meeting up for a weekend 5-8k, let me know! I'm aiming for the Tuam 8k next!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Pity the enthusiasm that was shown in the earlier posts did not materialise into an organised group that would come together on a regular basis. I too am looking forward to the Tuam 8k in January which is always a great event that attracts a huge entry. There is a lovely five mile circuit around Gardenfield in Tuam for anyone that is interested.

Just as an update, the running group organised by ParkerGoFitness has resumed the Sunday morning meet-up for autumn. It's 9am from Campbell's Tavern, rain or shine, and they usually do a 7/8k run. I joined them early this year and we ran the Galway Simon Community 10k in June as a team and what a great buzz that was! If anyone wants to join us, all levels are welcome and if there is enough interest, I'm sure other days can be arranged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bingi

I started up a running group in Headford in 2012. We meet every Sunday at Campbells Tav @9am for a run which could be anything from a 5k - 8k. Each runner is unique and have their own goals, however, we do enter races around the 8km to 10km mark. We are not professional runners, in fact we call ourselves 'social' runners. We would run 8km in approx. 45min and a 10km in approx. 55min. Check our parkergofitness on facesbook for details of the runs. All levels of runners are welcome.

I think with headford / Caherlistrane / shrule / Glencorrib there would be enough interest in a running club in Headford? At the moment with the dark nights I drive to Keadys and run up to the walking track around the pitch and run around that. Gets boreing but there is not many more places around the area with lights.

Thanks.

I agree and we've had a number of users here who've expressed an interest in that now that the dark nights are back. But does anyone know how to or want the responsibility of setting up an actual running club? Do you need someone with the appropriate fitness training and qualifications? Should we contact Galway Harriers? Would the organisers of the Headford 8k be willing to get involved? Or will we just set up an informal meet & train group and have a Facebook/Twitter group to arrange a schedule?

Yes, they are all valid points.. Maybe a facebook page with people saying they are going for a run on certain dates.. I am not sure how it would work...

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ceallan

I realise that thread is old and all that but I give it a shot.
    I just restarted my running 'career' and wonder if there is an active running group or club in Headford now.
    Is the meeting at Campbell's still happening and what times?

Cheers

Hi Ceallan

We still have a running group going although at the moment, some of the group are training for a half marathon so while 9am on a Sunday morning is usually our group training day, training times/venues vary. Are you on Facebook? If so, have a look at www.facebook.com/parker.gofitness page and if you message Margaret, she will add to you our running group page where we arrange to meet up to train. If you're not on Facebook, you can email parkergofitness@gmail.com for more details. What distance are you running at the moment? We have all levels from 5k up to (almost) half marathon. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ceallan

will do @facebook
    I'm currently running 5k mainly (did the Athenry 5k last Saturday...) but trying to get up to 8k for Streets of Galway and 10k for Galway Bay in October.
    Not sure how often Sundays will work as that is my typical kayaking day but will see

thx for getting back!

Advertisement