Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching back to ESB from Bord Gais

• 12-08-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of switching from Bord Gais to ESB - I was a customer of the ESB before. What is the process involved in this switch? do I need to read the meter myself and send in a reading?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hi shoes34,

Switching to ESB Electric Ireland is easy, all we require would be your MPRN number, which would be located on your electricity bill regardless of supplier, a meter reading, and the direct debit details. We would ask that customers provide a meter reading in order to have a starting point for a customer's bills. You can make the switch by calling us today on 1850 30 50 90. You can also make the switch online at the link below:

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/entry.htm

We are currently offering up to 14% off our standard electricity prices, and up to 17% off electricity and 6% off gas if you switch both. Specific price information can be viewed at this link:

https://www.esbelectricireland.ie/switchchange/allPricePlansIE.htm

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Is that extra 6% on your gas bill only if you go Direct Debit as I'm looking at going back to the ESB but don't want to go dd so how would that would out for me?

Hello kiersm,

With our new price plans for customers switching back to us, direct debit is a requirement. We are not currently in a position to offer discounts without direct debit.

If you have further questions please ask :)

Regards,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Thanks Mark,

I'm not willing to pay direct debit so I'll probably just go on the standard tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ecomac

Hi Mark,

Two questions about switching back from Bord Gais:

- should I give any notice to Bord Gais before requesting switching to ESB or you take care about all process?

- is there any contract lenght if I'd switch back to ESB?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi ecomac,

We would advise all customers to ensure that they are not in a contract with their current supplier, as switching may incur a cancellation fee if this is the case.

However, if you are sure that this isn't the case, there is no necessity to contact the other supplier. When you provide us with meter readings during the switch, we forward those to the other supplier through an intermediary. You would then receive a final bill from the supplier based on those readings and this would automatically close your account. This entire process takes approximately 20 working days. During this switchover period you cannot change to another supplier.

However after this period, there is no contract with ESB Electric Ireland.

I hope this answers your questions and if you require any further information please ask :)

Thanks,
    Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

Today I'd received a letter from Bord Gais saying that they were sorry to see us go. I was very confused to see such a letter as my husband nor I authorized this change.

I contacted BG and was informed that I needed to contact Airtricity or ESB. Because the new service provider would need to issue cancellation of the service. Well as it turns out ESB now holds our current account as of the third of this month. Apparently, we should have received notice from ESB regarding the change. We hadn't.

ESB told me that they cannot cancel. *Sigh* Back to BG, who state that they cannot either. I am outraged. I asked if I can just order new service for our flat. They allow this, I just needed to talk to someone else. Fantastic.

It seems everything goes without a hitch. I am able to reinstate our account and resume the direct debit. All is well, until fifteen minutes later I receive a call from BG. The last person I'd spoken had done some sleuthing because he thought the situation was strange. He shared with me the details of the change and who authorized it. Apparently, our landlady had. AND we cannot go forward as the account will remain with ESB.

This is very strange to me considering she was not responsible for establishing our service, nor does she have any stake in the cost of the service. We're direct debited from BG.

As I wait for confirmation from my landlady, I really want someone to answer how can that legally be done without the consent of the party most affected?

I know I am in another country and things may operate a tad differently here, but this just seems criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

You've changed electricity supplier. It's hardly criminal, bit of perspective darling ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Madame K,

Can you PM me the details of the property in question (MPRN and address) please? I'll then be able to look into this for you.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

how do I open the white box to read the meter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi km79,

A key is required to open it - these can be issued to you from Customer Service if you do not have one.

A generic meter key can also be purchased in hardware stores.

Regards :)
    Una

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

if i PM you my accound details can u get one sent to me??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi km79,

Yes, that's no problem at all - if you include: account number, name of the account-holder, address, telephone number. And confirmation that you are the named account-holder. For data protection/security reasons, we can only discuss details of an account with the named account-holder.

Regards :)
    Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sara025

I'd be sitting tight for a while...every other energy supplier will more than likely be following Bord Gais in their price hike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭zac8

Are the discounts guaranteed for any period of time for new customers?

Hi zac8,

They are indeed; until 31st March 2012 to be exact. See here for the relevant Terms and Conditions.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

But the discounts just mean that they're off the standard rate price of gas/elec
    So if gas and elec std rates go up 10% then all the discounted rates mean is that they will be still guaranteed to be X% less until March next year. That doesn't mean they won rise by 10% to remain X% behind the std rates.

Hope this makes sense

That's correct cookie1977. If, for example, a customer is currrently in receipt of a 17% discount off the standard rate, it is the 17% as such that is guaranteed until March 31st 2012.

Advertisement