Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infuriating Eircom BB order

Options
  • 12-08-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

This is so silly. I recently purchased a house, about 13 weeks ago, that had an active Eircom line. I didn't want to pay Eircom's stupid (excessively high) line rental for a service I wasn't using so cancelled the service. Before doing so I double checked with the Eircom agent that I could get BB, she confirmed I could. Nevertheless I cancelled the account as I didn't need it at the time.

Now I call Eircom to explain I'd like to activate the line but, before doing so, want to validate that I can indeed get broadband. Curious thing is they can't validate or even check for BB, the agent explains, and, furthermore, if I order the line and can't get BB I cannot cancel the line as I'm locked into a 12 month contract without any cooling off period!

Surely the latter point is wrong, it's a consumer right to have a cancellation period. And surely Eircom can validate if BB is available in advance! My address is relatively remote so don't have the highest confidence in them (Templeorum in Co. Kilkenny). Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I'm aware of a 10 day cooling down period when for example a modem is replaced and a 12 month contract needs to be renewed. I'm not too sure when it comes to setting up an actual account from scratch though but I assume it'd be the same.

Try ringing back and getting a different agent, maybe even ask for a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They cannot give a definite answer on the availability of broadband for an inactive line. If you activate the line, it is a 6 month contract, not 12.

As for cooling off, it does not apply to services where the service has already commenced within the cooling off period. i.e., you can cancel up until they activate the line, but not afterwards. The cooling off period is 7 days, but it shouldn't take more than 1 day to re-activate an old line.

Moving to eircom forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

This is so silly. I recently purchased a house, about 13 weeks ago, that had an active Eircom line. I didn't want to pay Eircom's stupid (excessively high) line rental for a service I wasn't using so cancelled the service. Before doing so I double checked with the Eircom agent that I could get BB, she confirmed I could. Nevertheless I cancelled the account as I didn't need it at the time.

Now I call Eircom to explain I'd like to activate the line but, before doing so, want to validate that I can indeed get broadband. Curious thing is they can't validate or even check for BB, the agent explains, and, furthermore, if I order the line and can't get BB I cannot cancel the line as I'm locked into a 12 month contract without any cooling off period!

Surely the latter point is wrong, it's a consumer right to have a cancellation period. And surely Eircom can validate if BB is available in advance! My address is relatively remote so don't have the highest confidence in them (Templeorum in Co. Kilkenny). Any recommendations?

Hi darrenheaphy,

Can you PM me with your address and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi darrenheaphy,

I got your PM with your details thanks. I will look into it and get back to you by tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

That's great, Mark, thanks :)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

That's great, Mark, thanks :)!
    Hi darrenheaphy
    I have been advised that a tech has been assigned to have this complete on 07/09. An appointment has been set for approx 12:00 to 14:00 on this day.
    Any delay with this let us know.
    Tony

Advertisement