Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Upgrade

Options
  • 12-08-2011 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all

Im looking to upgrade my Processor and my motherbored. I play a mmo that only utilises 1 core of my 4 core processor! The game has large scale battles and during which I get only 4 frames a secound!

I have done a small bit of research and it seems everyone playing the game agrees its the processor that makes the most difference in the game!

I have linked a gernal overview of my hardware setup below if anyone is able to recommend a good processor for this game!

My budget for a processor is about 200 euro.

Everest info on motherbored

Field Value
    Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 63-204-0000010-00101111-110707-nVidia$ALV6V204_ALIVENF6G-VSTA BIOS P2.10
    Motherboard Name ASRock ALiveNF6G-VSTA

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type AMD K10
    Real Clock 200 MHz
    Effective Clock 200 MHz
    HyperTransport Clock [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    North Bridge Clock [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type Unganged Dual DDR2 SDRAM
    Bus Width 128-bit
    DRAM:FSB Ratio 8:6
    Real Clock 267 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 533 MHz
    Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket AM2
    Expansion Slots [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    RAM Slots 4 DDR2 DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 240 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset nForce6100-430
    Extra Features [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Everest info on current processor

Field Value
    CPU Properties
    CPU Type QuadCore AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition 9600, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200)
    CPU Alias Agena
    CPU Stepping DR-B2
    Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A
    Original Clock [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    Min / Max CPU Multiplier 5.0x / 31.5x
    Engineering Sample No
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB per core
    L1 Data Cache [ TRIAL VERSION ]
    L2 Cache 512 KB per core (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)
    L3 Cache 2 MB (On-Die, ECC, NB-Speed)

Multi CPU
    CPU #1 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 2310 MHz
    CPU #2 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 2310 MHz
    CPU #3 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 2310 MHz
    CPU #4 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600 Quad-Core Processor, 2310 MHz

CPU Physical Info
    Package Type 940 Pin uOPGA
    Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
    Transistors [ TRIAL VERSION ] million
    Process Technology 11Mi, 65 nm, CMOS, Cu, Low-K, DSL SOI, Immersion Lithography
    Die Size [ TRIAL VERSION ] mm2
    I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V

CPU Manufacturer
    Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118,00.html

CPU Utilization
    CPU #1 / Core #1 1 %
    CPU #1 / Core #2 1 %
    CPU #1 / Core #3 4 %
    CPU #1 / Core #4 21 %

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

What is the mmo that you are playing?

What graphics card do you have in your machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Neasha

Hi Johnny

Im playing darkfall onlnie and my graphics card is a 8800gtx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

How much RAM have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

http://evilbastages.blogspot.com/2009/04/optimal-pc-setup-for-darkfall-online.html

Well if you know your way around a PC, for 200 euros you could do a major upgrade as in chip, motherboard and ram (plus you could sell the current chip, mb and ram prob for about 50 to 100 euros)

An AMD x4 955 is about 95 euros - quad core chip clocked at 3.2 ghz, will be about 25% to 50% better than your current chip in games.

A good board and ram would cost about 100 euros (ram is dirt cheap at the moment)

The 8800GTX is a great card, but a little long in the tooth now

You could sell your current PC for 200 euros, maybe more, + 200, plus a little more and you could get an entirely new system - just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Jonny7 wrote: »
    http://evilbastages.blogspot.com/2009/04/optimal-pc-setup-for-darkfall-online.html

Well if you know your way around a PC, for 200 euros you could do a major upgrade as in chip, motherboard and ram (plus you could sell the current chip, mb and ram prob for about 50 to 100 euros)

An AMD x4 955 is about 95 euros - quad core chip clocked at 3.2 ghz, will be about 25% to 50% better than your current chip in games.

A good board and ram would cost about 100 euros (ram is dirt cheap at the moment)

The 8800GTX is a great card, but a little long in the tooth now

You could sell your current PC for 200 euros, maybe more, + 200, plus a little more and you could get an entirely new system - just a suggestion
    Johnny7's right on the ball there, your much better off selling your rig and starting from scratch.

if you dont want to do that, then find €65 (hint: sell old parts) and get this:

Total build cost: €234.49 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155 €152.91
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €60.17
    4GB-Kit Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9 €21.41

that CPU at stock (cant be overclocked) will eat the best AMD CPU's for breakfast at any single threaded applications, and at almost any clock.

selling your old parts though could give you enough to get you an i5 2500K and a cheapo p67 board and OC to 4.2ghz which would net you a few hundred fps if this game is as hard on the CPU as it sounds.

probably keep the 8800gt too if it isnt a bottleneck in that game. what resolution is your screen and what other games do you play?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

This is a much better mobo if you have a midi-tower PC. If you only have a microtower try this instead :) That ASRock is overpriced garbage :p

Solitaire wrote: »
    This is a much better mobo if you have a midi-tower PC. If you only have a microtower try this instead :) That ASRock is overpriced garbage :p
    yea i actually didnt do any search to see if it was any good if im honest :( i just grabbed the "second cheapest" asrock board that i could find. the name made me believe it had USB3 (and i assumed it'd have SATA3)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Even if it did (and often with ASsRock boards the name is a cunning lie :p) what is more important? USB3 or SATA3 compatibility? Or workable onboard sound, networking and overall stability?

I wasn't aware any 1155 boards had issues like that! :(

I thought manufactures were past the days of dud boards because even the cheaper 1155 boards seemed to be feature rich.

time to pay more attention..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's always cutting corners somewhere in features, support, accessories or quality to have the look of an edge over competitors.
    We seem to have returned to an era of two RAM slots. :( It's not a devastating cut but it keeps upgrades open.

• Advertisement
Advertisement