Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning & Development Contribution

Options
  • 12-08-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice.
    I just got planning after a year and half with loads of conditions. However the biggest condition will cost me €10K i.e. Development Contribution to Cork Co Council who have requested that we connect to the mains. However, i want to drill a well rather than pay for the mains / water connection. The water charge element of the contribution is circa €5K. The well should hopefully be cheaper and i will not, hopefully, have to pay the water charges in the future.

Has anybody else had this issue with the Council and how did you get on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nok2008 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of advice.
    I just got planning after a year and half with loads of conditions. However the biggest condition will cost me €10K i.e. Development Contribution to Cork Co Council who have requested that we connect to the mains. However, i want to drill a well rather than pay for the mains / water connection. The water charge element of the contribution is circa €5K. The well should hopefully be cheaper and i will not, hopefully, have to pay the water charges in the future.

You can apply for planning permission to drill the well and take the domestic water supply from it in lieu of connecting to the public water mains as approved/conditioned in your original grant of permission.

If granted it effectively discharges that part of the contribution scheme in respect of the domestic water.

I just lodged an application for this today on behalf of a client after the council wanted her to lay a 100mm dia, pipe for a distance of 800 metres which involved a bit of rock excavating. A lot cheaper to go for a well/bore hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I just got planning after a year and half with loads of conditions. However the biggest condition will cost me €10K i.e. Development Contribution to Cork Co Council who have requested that we connect to the mains.
    Did they request that you connect to the mains or did they actually condition the planning permission (demand) that you connect?
    i want to drill a well rather than pay for the mains / water connection.
    You don't need planning permission to drill a well so this element is basic.
    The water charge element of the contribution is circa €5K. The well should hopefully be cheaper and i will not, hopefully, have to pay the water charges in the future.
    There is a lot in this quote, firstly the water charge part of the contribution is for the provision of water in your area, not specifically to your site, so if there is a water mains in your area you will probably be asked to pay the water contribution regardless of whether you are connecting to it or not. Secondly, drilling your own well does not exempt you from paying water charges in future as you are tapping into the water supply in the area and under the control of the local authority, but this is not in or finalised yet so that part is way down the road, imo.
    The above is just my experience from dealing with Local Authorities, but as muffler said above you could always attempt to formalise a trade of one for the other and hope sense prevails in the LA.

Advertisement