Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flank Steak / Skirt Steak

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi! Just wondering if these 2 cuts of beef are generally available in Dublin - I have been to a few butchers and have not seen them... one said to call him on a Tuesday and he would see if he could get it; but I'm a little skeptical. I tried to get italian sausages once to make red sauce and ended up with a huge dried salami... was tasty but had to change my dinner plans pronto!

I am dying to make my ropa vieja with the flank steak and my korean sizzling beef with the skirt steak...if I can find them!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

I've gotten flank steak here before but had to order it, it's not a "normal" cut but not a problem to take it off the side of beef to sell it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

interesting article on skirt steaks and their availability:

http://www.houstonpress.com/2009-06-18/restaurants/not-so-clear-cut/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

Thanks SBWife!

Thud, I read the article - it was very interesting, thanks.. I have cooked skirt steak many times in America and, when cooked properly, its always been very tender (cut with a butter knife) and also has a GREAT flavor. I was wondering if the cut of skirt steak the article mentioned was the same thing (I have never seen it labled as outside or inside, so I am not sure which part it was that I used to buy). I have never bought it "pre-marinated" before but for the recipe I mentioned earlier, I marinate it for a few hours before cooking it under high heat under the broiler. It does look like a long thin piece of marbled beef... like a smaller, thinner flank steak... wonder if its the same

Anyway, I will go back to the butcher one of these days and request it and test it out...

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

amandausa wrote: »
    Thanks SBWife!

Thud, I read the article - it was very interesting, thanks.. I have cooked skirt steak many times in America and, when cooked properly, its always been very tender (cut with a butter knife) and also has a GREAT flavor. I was wondering if the cut of skirt steak the article mentioned was the same thing (I have never seen it labled as outside or inside, so I am not sure which part it was that I used to buy). I have never bought it "pre-marinated" before but for the recipe I mentioned earlier, I marinate it for a few hours before cooking it under high heat under the broiler. It does look like a long thin piece of marbled beef... like a smaller, thinner flank steak... wonder if its the same

Anyway, I will go back to the butcher one of these days and request it and test it out...

Thanks again!

Try James Whelan Butchers online or go to Ennis Butchers in Rialto. Both do great beef and have done special cuts for me before.

Advertisement