If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that some Philips TVs are Saorview approved...

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

...are they going to release updates for the older models?

I know that you guys were on their case about Saorview issues on and off over the past few years... but as far as I know nothing ever came of it.

I've a PFL8404 and from what I can see on the Philips website the firmware hasn't been updated in a year.

-ZB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Good question.

Will bring it up at the trade show on the 24th and see what they say - all the tech folks should be there.

What Saorview issues do you have and i'll ask directly?

atb
    ash

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126824

and

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056123899

Also, pretty poor (dire) divx playback etc.

Just was hoping that those of us who bought tvs and had done our research into the whole Saorview bit wouldn't be left out in the cold.....

Still love the tv, and would probably buy Philips again but ONLY after checking one out in a shop, connecting a USB stick to it and ensuring it plays everything it's meant to...

I suppose it's really one simple question - are they going to upgrade the firmware for some of the older models that are (it would seem) probably fully Saorview CAPABLE with an update to their firmware - seems reasonable given that the tvs aren't that old and the hardware is already built in....

Rant over. Many thanks for your efforts and hope it's a good show!

-ZB

Just wondering did you get a chance / remember...

Hi Zaphodbeeb

Sorry for delay in coming back to you on this.

When I was out at the trade show I asked about firmware updates for the discontinued models of Philips TV - specifically in relation to Saorview updates.
    It would seem that there will be no more firmware updates released for the Philips xxPFL8404 Range or the other models from that time period now.
    The last issued update for the 42" version was 25th Aug 2010.

This range, and the other Philips TV models from that generation, will need to set to "UK" as its location in the Installation menu before tuning in.
    that way you should get -
    1) all the RTE TV stations
    2) all the radio stations
    3) all the above correctly named on the channel grid,
    4) the on board EPG
    5) the MHEG5 Digital Text.

I dont have an answer as to why when you select IRELAND as the location it doesnt tune correctly, nor for that matter could I get one except to be told its sorted in the incomming range.

Philips will be releasing an external interface box that lets you plug a Hard Drive into pretty much any TV via HDMI - this little box has pretty much all the Audio, Video and Photo codec's built into it.

It's really designed for TV's that have no support for this sort thing, of course more and more DVD and BR players have these features built in, inc DivX HD etc.

I expect this to be into us in the next few weeks - no spec up on the website just yet for that matter.

Sorry nothing more positive to report back

Regards
    Ash

Meant to say thanks for trying anyway.

Still a great TV, bit disappointed but as you say, most of the functionality is there and the BDP7500 plays all the divx etc formats so.....

Whenever it breaks down I'll be back to you guys :-)

• Advertisement

Hi Zaph

No worries - sorry not the news you wanted to hear.

I'm sure you'll get many years happy service from it however:)

Cheers
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.