Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick PSU question

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick one maybe someone can help me with:

Got a new 6970 graphics card, and it requires an 8 & 6 pin power cables. It also came with a 8 to 6 pin converter cable.

The previous card I had 2 no. 6 pins cables connected.

The PSU is a 1000w Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W & has 2 no. 8 pin connectors, which also have a 6 pin connector looped off the end-please see below. My question is it ok to use a seperate 6 pin & 8 pin cable (excuse the sh!te photo's):

IMG_0971.jpg

Or should I use the 8 pin & loop the 6 pin-as shown here?

IMG_0972.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I cannot see the picures atm (blocked), but you should use seperate cables for the 8 pin and the 6 pin. It is best to not use the 6 and 8 pin from the same cable simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

marco_polo wrote: »
    I cannot see the picures atm (blocked), but you should use seperate cables for the 8 pin and the 6 pin. Do not under any circumstance use the 6 and 8 pin from the same cable simultaneously.

Many thanks Marco, I guessed right then :). I had it in my head that both 6 & 8 should be on the same 12V rail for some reason.

Tme to boot up Metro 2033 & cysis 2 so :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I was a bit over dramatic before the edit to tone it down a little, the worst that would probably happen is a bit of power instability to the GPU, not talking explosions or anything like that :p

Enjoy you evening gaming anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

No, no appreciated. Last thing I wanted is a 300+ euro paperweight.:D

Advertisement