Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Character references?

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi there,

I have just put a deposit on a flat, and have given work references for myself and my girlfriend. I explained to the letting agent that we didn't have previous landlord refs as this was our first rental. She said that this was not a problem, but asked me if I could get a character reference from a local doctor, parish priest, etc. Being an atheist, I don't feel right asking a priest for a reference, but how realistic is it that a GP can give me any kind of meaningful character reference? Who else can I ask?

Thanks in advance.
    -Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

PulpitNeil wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have just put a deposit on a flat, and have given work references for myself and my girlfriend. I explained to the letting agent that we didn't have previous landlord refs as this was our first rental. She said that this was not a problem, but asked me if I could get a character reference from a local doctor, parish priest, etc. Being an atheist, I don't feel right asking a priest for a reference, but how realistic is it that a GP can give me any kind of meaningful character reference? Who else can I ask?

Thanks in advance.
    -Neil

Basically find a professional (doc,lawyer,accountant) mate or if you know any gardai that will knock up a basic reference for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

If you paid the deposit that should do.

Character references from a priest ? Unacceptable and offensive.
    Character references from a doctor? Unacceptable and offensive.
    Character references from a lawyer? Unacceptable and offensive.
    Character references from an accountant? Unacceptable and offensive.

The mere suggestion of having these kind of people write up a character reference as if they know the person and/or are somehow 'authoritative' on personalities is ridiculous and offensive. Tell them you wont be able to get a references and if thats not good enough tell them to look for another tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

What a load of old **** ^_^

I gotta say, my current landlady has been a see-you-next-tuesday about many many things, but even she laughed when we brought up what items she would like when we were signing our lease when we mentioned character references "Oh I work in HR, I know what they are worth, forget about them!".

A - tell them you really dont know who to ask and you honestly dont see the point
    B - scribble 1 line of nonsense down on a page, step outside your door and ask the first person you see to sign it.

(My sarcastic humour aside, Im quite serious that both of those are valid options)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

noxqs wrote: »
    The mere suggestion of having these kind of people write up a character reference as if they know the person and/or are somehow 'authoritative' on personalities is ridiculous and offensive. Tell them you wont be able to get a references and if thats not good enough tell them to look for another tenant.

I completely agree it's BS, but sure if the OP is happy with the place he may as well indulge her with a meaningless scrap of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Only reference worth anything is a name and phone number to HR to confirm you are working full time

That's it, can you get this OP? Are you working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 PulpitNeil

Yep. Gave work references. She's only asking for a character reference in place of previous LL references and tbh, I got the impression that it was more of a formality than anything else. I'll get someone to write me a reference. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking the piss by handing her something meaningless. Thanks for the input, folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement