Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need an advice re: Alarm kit for an apt

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Hi
    i'm thinking to install some sort of house alarm in the apt I rent.
    Unfortunately the landlord does not want to spend money for it so I have to pay :(
    therefore it must be cheap and possible wireless.
    The thing is I have a cat so i'm afraid it can activate the PIR movement detectors.
    Do you have any suggestions giving the above conditions?
    I was looking into some Keypad Controlled Magnetic Door and window Alarm in case someone breaks into the apt throu the window/door but I don't know if this is effective (ie is the siren loud enough?)...or something like the Argos wireless home alarm kit :confused:
    any suggestion is really appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Absolute muck. Don't go near it.
    Take a look at the Suppliers Sticky
    Something like the Visonic Powermax Complete or Powermax express would be ideal.
    You can also get those with pet tolerant PiRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Powermax kit would be a good choice and the kit comes already set up.
    It has 2 pet pirs and a contact which should be ok for an apartment once it's not on the ground floor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Blackpitts wrote: »
    Hi
    i'm thinking to install some sort of house alarm in the apt I rent.
    Unfortunately the landlord does not want to spend money for it so I have to pay :(
    therefore it must be cheap and possible wireless.
    The thing is I have a cat so i'm afraid it can activate the PIR movement detectors.
    Do you have any suggestions giving the above conditions?
    I was looking into some Keypad Controlled Magnetic Door and window Alarm in case someone breaks into the apt throu the window/door but I don't know if this is effective (ie is the siren loud enough?)...or something like the Argos wireless home alarm kit :confused:
    any suggestion is really appreciated!

Equipment like that is a waste of money. I would hold out for the HKC Quantum 70 kit that is being released this month. The good thing about putting in a wire free system is when you move you can bring it with you :D

Still think the powermax is the best option, it's been around for a long time is very reliable and is a diy favourite.
    I tend not to use new products to the market until they have been properly tested.
    I've got burned too many times to start "beta testing" new products for companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Jnealon wrote: »
    Still think the powermax is the best option, it's been around for a long time is very reliable and is a diy favourite.

Thats what puts me off powermax anybody cant get there hands on the kit and makes it makes the panel a less professional alarm in my eyes but that it just my option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Taking that thinking, anyone can get their hands on most systems.
    If anything the Powermax is less available than the more popular brands like Astec, HKC & Aritech because less suppliers stock them.

Yes Cadzer that is true but you can't knock their reliability.
    As the op is a diyer and not a pro this panel will be fine.

People can get their hands on most products these days, especially alarms, going by the amount of blank bell boxes around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jnealon wrote: »
    I tend not to use new products to the market until they have been properly tested.
    I've got burned too many times to start "beta testing" new products for companies.

There is no need for that, they are using the Securewave technology in the Quantum which has more than proved itself. They have also field tested it in premises with no problems. To expect problems like you say is scaremongering.

Not scaremongering, just speaking from experience, lots of experience

Advertisement