Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whelans, Dublin

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Has anybody seen any bands in Whelans? Is it good sound, thinking of booking some tickets to see a band there (already seen the band before), just wondering what it's like? Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

one of the better more intimate venues in Dublin. Some great bands have played their first Irish gigs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

sweetie wrote: »
    one of the better more intimate venues in Dublin. Some great bands have played their first Irish gigs there.

Is there a separate room or do they play in the pub itself ? It is years and years since I've been in Whelans so have no idea as to what is is like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

The venue part is out the back. After the gig, they open up the whole place as a late bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The gig could be in the little venue upstairs, which is more intimate because it's tiny. The sound in here is good, but it's a weird L shaped room, so if there's any amount of people and you're stuck in the bad part of the L (if you get what I'm saying) it's not so good.

I really like Whelan's as a venue. I've managed to see some (now) huge bands playing there in my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah it's good,get there early if it's on upstairs just to be safe!

Seeing John Spillane there tomorrow night actually!

• Advertisement

Great, sounds like a good place to see music. I've booked tickets now anyway for weekend after this one. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

it can be 100% hit and miss........soundwise.

downstairs, once you have a decent crowd the reverb clams down and the sound is quite good, but if the place is only half full, I remember one of the regular artists from there saying that the sound was like "playin on the inside of an empty pot of coddle"...............

in saying that ive seen a fair amount of gigs there, and more better than worse.

as for upstairs, i absolutely love the place, quite like someone playing in your living room, but the 90 degree angle at the bar is a bit of a pain if you havent positioned yourself right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

jossnjuice wrote: »
    it can be 100% hit and miss

:confused:

So............all hit and miss? <head explodes>

yep........piss poor, or quality...........they dont do half measures!

jossnjuice wrote: »
    it can be 100% hit and miss........soundwise.

downstairs, once you have a decent crowd the reverb clams down and the sound is quite good, but if the place is only half full, I remember one of the regular artists from there saying that the sound was like "playin on the inside of an empty pot of coddle"...............

in saying that ive seen a fair amount of gigs there, and more better than worse.

as for upstairs, i absolutely love the place, quite like someone playing in your living room, but the 90 degree angle at the bar is a bit of a pain if you havent positioned yourself right!

So, is it better to be nearer the bar or nearer the front? Usually the bar is at the back.

• Advertisement

id say somewhere in the middle, just in front of the dj/sound box......

only a couple of feet from the bar, not front row, and not far back by any means. probably about 15ft from the stage.

Advertisement