Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commercial zone

Options
  • 12-08-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

What do you think of band's lending songs to advertisements?

My opinion is that the band own the songs and if need to cash then go for it, plenty of people work in jobs they hate for companies they despise, it’s about paying rent not lending support. But some people have a real gripe with songs they love selling cars, jeans or politicians.

What’s the general conscious here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I think the argument against allowing your songs to be used in advertising doesn't have the same relevance it had twenty or even ten years ago. The notion of 'selling out' has been replaced with a certain pragmatism that bands need to make money to survive. Money they are not going to make anymore from album sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

In general I don't care, however if it was an industry I found objectionable then I'd be a bit miffed, if only because the artist is propping it up. Iggy Pop selling insurance for example, I don't really mind, but at the same time its a bit lame. What annoys me more is when advertisers use an imitation of a popular song but have to change the notes just to the point that they avoid copyright infingement, it usually ends up being crap because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think it's become so much the norm now which is down to ownership of copyright music . McCartney wasn't happy with Michael Jackson selling his Beatles stuff to the highest commercial bidder and nearly all the Beach Boys hits including Good Vibrations , I Get Around , Wouldn't it be Nice and more recently , God Only Knows , have being flaunted for their commercial value which on the one hand , keeps the music fresh and alive in the conciousness of the masses, even though it wasn't ment to be flogged in this way . It's all about the $,£,€ now and just another form of revenue for the artist( s) concerned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't see what the problem is as long as the music isn't used for something the artist objects to. Though it would be funny to see Morrissey getting annoyed at his music being used in a McDonald's ad :pac:

Some artists have a good reason to let their music be used in ads. Moby allowing just about everything off Play to be licensed definitely gave his career a boost. And yeah, pragmatism certainly comes into it too. I don't know how much an artist makes these days from selling albums and singles but I'm pretty sure it's a fraction of what it was even 10 or 15 years ago.

Advertisement