Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I be a cat owner?

• 12-08-2011 3:38pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some advice. I'm considering rehoming a cat from a shelter and just wondering if my circumstances will be suitable:

I've always liked cats but we never had one growing up due to my dad's allergies so I'd be a first-time cat owner. All going well, I'll be moving from Dublin to Leitrim to study in IT Sligo this September. I'll be living in a small house on my own and gone out to college for long stretches during the day. The garden is not an enclosed garden and there are a lot of wandering dogs and cats around the area. I'll probably be away in Dublin at weekends and couldn't bring the cat with me until I have my own car (which I hopefully will have by January/February), though my aunt lives nearby and would probably pop in at weekends for me if I asked. I'm thinking an older cat who prefers being mostly indoors would be nice.

Anyway, my question is: am I suitable to get a cat? Should I hold off until I am certain I have work lined up and can pay for insurance (although the likelihood of getting a new policy out on an old animal is minimal :( )? Will an older cat be happier to chill out by itself for long stretches of the day so long as it has its toys and scratching post for entertainment? I would love to have some feline company around the house when I'm living there alone but if the cat would be unhappy there's not much point. I have a dog (a 10yr old JRT) but I can't bring her with me as she'd go ape-shit crazy not being allowed outside for such long stretches during the day.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hey all, just looking for some advice. I'm considering rehoming a cat from a shelter and just wondering if my circumstances will be suitable:

I've always liked cats but we never had one growing up due to my dad's allergies so I'd be a first-time cat owner. All going well, I'll be moving from Dublin to Leitrim to study in IT Sligo this September. I'll be living in a small house on my own and gone out to college for long stretches during the day. The garden is not an enclosed garden and there are a lot of wandering dogs and cats around the area. I'll probably be away in Dublin at weekends and couldn't bring the cat with me until I have my own car (which I hopefully will have by January/February), though my aunt lives nearby and would probably pop in at weekends for me if I asked. I'm thinking an older cat who prefers being mostly indoors would be nice.

Anyway, my question is: am I suitable to get a cat? Should I hold off until I am certain I have work lined up and can pay for insurance (although the likelihood of getting a new policy out on an old animal is minimal :( )? Will an older cat be happier to chill out by itself for long stretches of the day so long as it has its toys and scratching post for entertainment? I would love to have some feline company around the house when I'm living there alone but if the cat would be unhappy there's not much point. I have a dog (a 10yr old JRT) but I can't bring her with me as she'd go ape-shit crazy not being allowed outside for such long stretches during the day.

Anyway, let me know what you think :)
    I would say to at least wait until you have a car, as I'd consider it unfair to ask your aunt to put herself out every weekend.

You don't say how old you are, but I know that when I was in college it would have been unfair for me to keep an animal. There are so many evenings when people want to head out straight after college and it could be really difficult to say 'No, I have to go feed the cat.'

Would you consider fish? They're fairly low-maintenance, can last without you for a weekend (you can get dissolvable 'weekend away' food blocks), won't destory your furniture through boredom and are mesmirising to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Well, I'd say a cautious yes, but I have a few concerns.

You could have an indoor-only cat who would be quite happy on its own during the day (I'm fostering one in need of a home at the moment btw!), but every single weekend on its own might be a bit too much. You would also need to be sure you will have the energy/time to give it lots of play time and attention every evening.

My main concern is - what are your plans for summers while you are at college? Will you stay living in Leitrim or will you be moving back to your parents place with the JRT? Or might you go abroad? If you don't know for sure then you should postpone getting the cat until after college.

Also - I presume at this stage you don't have any idea where you'll be or what you'll be doing after college? You might find you have to move again, and what happens to the cat then?

Just a few questions for you to think about....:D

I hope you can get a cat though! There are so many older cats in rescues now in need of a good home. Don't do it though unless you know you can keep to a long-term commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

not suitable to be a responsible owner in my book

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

kylith wrote: »
    I would say to at least wait until you have a car, as I'd consider it unfair to ask your aunt to put herself out every weekend.

A fair point. I can wait til then, so the cat can at least come home with me at weekends.
    You don't say how old you are, but I know that when I was in college it would have been unfair for me to keep an animal. There are so many evenings when people want to head out straight after college and it could be really difficult to say 'No, I have to go feed the cat.'

I'm 20. Tbh I don't tend to go out more than once a week, and even then I tend to leave early anyway. :P
    Would you consider fish? They're fairly low-maintenance, can last without you for a weekend (you can get dissolvable 'weekend away' food blocks), won't destory your furniture through boredom and are mesmirising to watch.

I have had fish before and I did consider them. They don't make great company, though they are nice to look at. I also considered gerbils, hamsters or rabbits.
    MsFifers wrote: »
    Well, I'd say a cautious yes, but I have a few concerns.

You could have an indoor-only cat who would be quite happy on its own during the day (I'm fostering one in need of a home at the moment btw!), but every single weekend on its own might be a bit too much. You would also need to be sure you will have the energy/time to give it lots of play time and attention every evening.

I'd happily play with the cat all evening when I got home :D. But yeah, I get the point about leaving it every weekend. I suppose I'd better wait til I at least had my car sorted before introducing a cat to the place.
    My main concern is - what are your plans for summers while you are at college? Will you stay living in Leitrim or will you be moving back to your parents place with the JRT? Or might you go abroad? If you don't know for sure then you should postpone getting the cat until after college.

Also - I presume at this stage you don't have any idea where you'll be or what you'll be doing after college? You might find you have to move again, and what happens to the cat then?

Just a few questions for you to think about....:D

Dunno yet. Maybe 50/50 Dublin/Leitrim (I like it up there)? The JRT used to live with cats so I'm sure she'd be fine. I'd just need to be certain the cat won't take offense to the dog. And that my dad's allergies don't take offense to the cat. :(

After college, who knows? Hopefully work in Ireland at least. The IT industry is still doing well enough here that I should hopefully be able to get employment here.

[
    I hope you can get a cat though! There are so many older cats in rescues now in need of a good home. Don't do it though unless you know you can keep to a long-term commitment.

Lots of good points. Thanks :)

Care to expand on that thought?

• Advertisement

Care to expand on that thought?
    No problem!
    All explained below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056354224

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'll probably be away in Dublin at weekends and couldn't bring the cat with me until I have my own car (which I hopefully will have by January/February), though my aunt lives nearby and would probably pop in at weekends for :)

This is my only concern really. Would you wait a few more months until you have a car and are more independent and dont have to rely on your aunt?It'll give you the time to research shelters etc and find the perfect cat for you. I wouldnt be worried about leaving an older cat alone during the day either, they tend to just sleep when you're not there.

Also pet insurance isnt that expensive for cats. I currently pay just over €10 for 2...so it'd be only €5 something for one cat, providing they meet the age requirements for insurance companies etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The OP has already said they intend to keep the cat indoors. :rolleyes:

oh misread that sorry op!

anniehoo wrote: »
    This is my only concern really. Would you wait a few more months until you have a car and are more independent and dont have to rely on your aunt?It'll give you the time to research shelters etc and find the perfect cat for you. I wouldnt be worried about leaving an older cat alone during the day either, they tend to just sleep when you're not there.

Also pet insurance isnt that expensive for cats. I currently pay just over €10 for 2...so it'd be only €5 something for one cat, providing they meet the age requirements for insurance companies etc

Yeah I suppose. It'll give me a few months to settle into the house myself and figure out what my timetable will be like anyway which isn't a bad thing. You reckon an older cat would be happy to snooze while I'm out during the day though? That's good :)

It's not the cost, per se, rather the hassle of finding an insurance company who will insure an older animal. We can't get any insurance for our JRT because no-one's willing to set up a new premium for a 10 year old pet. I imagine it will be much the same story for an older cat - thus I'd need to be setting money aside each month anyway just in case something does crop up.
    oh misread that sorry op!

No worries. Like I said, I wouldn't be leaving the cat outside unsupervised because the garden isn't secure and there's always dogs and wild cats passing through the place. This cat would be mostly an indoor cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The fact that the OP has asked for advice means she is wholly responsible. But maybe the current accommodation and status does not suit keeping a cat unless maybe it's going to be kept as an indoor cat.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The fact that the OP has asked for advice means she is wholly responsible. But maybe the current accommodation and status does not suit keeping a cat unless maybe it's going to be kept as an indoor cat.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just want to know whether or not my circumstances realistically allow for a cat. No point rehoming a moggie only to discover it doesn't suit either of us :(. I wonder, do many rescues allow for fostering with the intention to adopt after a while? It might be a good way to find out if a cat will be happy to live with me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Once you've settled in your new place there's a pretty high chance that a cat will find you, with you being a friendly cat-person. The countryside is heaving with strays - I bet there's one waiting for you there already:)

You reckon an older cat would be happy to snooze while I'm out during the day though?
    :)

Cats can sleep for 3/4 of their day if allowed. Completely different to dogs who do need regular exercise and mental stimulation. Not saying you can ignore him and leave him on his own day in day out, but most cats are quite content to snooze alot of the day away and wil lbe glad to see you when home.

Would you get a middle aged cat like 6 or 7? Plenty of those looking for rehoming and insurance companies will insure those, although previous exisiting medical conditions arent insured. Is it that you dont want a kitten but would prefer a more mature pet?

Heres Petinsure.ie's terms of conditions!This is who im with ;)

planetX wrote: »
    Once you've settled in your new place there's a pretty high chance that a cat will find you, with you being a friendly cat-person. The countryside is heaving with strays - I bet there's one waiting for you there already:)

A lot of the strays around there aren't human-friendly at all unfortunately :( They're feral, really. I'd say many of them have been wild or strays for generations at this point, so they're completely undomesticated.
    :)

Cats can sleep for 3/4 of their day if allowed. Completely different to dogs who do need regular exercise and mental stimulation. Not saying you can ignore him and leave him on his own day in day out, but most cats are quite content to snooze alot of the day away and wil lbe glad to see you when home.

Would you get a middle aged cat like 6 or 7? Plenty of those looking for rehoming and insurance companies will insure those, although previous exisiting medical conditions arent insured. Is it that you dont want a kitten but would prefer a more mature pet?

Heres Petinsure.ie's terms of conditions!This is who im with ;)

The main reason I was looking at older cats was that they wouldn't need as much companionship during the day. A kitten would need a lot of play time and supervision and mental stimulation throughout the day to grow into a well-adjusted cat. If I already had a mature cat I wouldn't mind getting a kitten at all because there'd at least be a cat around to show it what's what. When there's just 1 human living in the house (and that human is gone for a large portion of the day), it'd be fairly shit for the kitten. At least, that's my logic anyway.

Yeah, that sounds great. If I can get a 6/7yo insured I'd love to rehome one. Seems perfect, thanks :)

There are so many shelters but you could start with these anyway and get an understanding for how the rehoming process works. As you can see theres lots of older cats looking for homes. Good luck, sounds like you'll be a very caring owner wink.gif
    DSPCA (although i think they require €100/150 but includes vaccinations and neutering if needed)

CatsAid a long established rescue or seeing as you'll be in Leitrim (Leitrim Animal Welfare Centre)

There are so many shelters but you could start with these anyway and get an understanding for how the rehoming process works. As you can see theres lots of older cats looking for homes. Good luck, sounds like you'll be a very caring owner wink.gif
    DSPCA (although i think they require €100/150 but includes vaccinations and neutering if needed)

CatsAid a long established rescue or seeing as you'll be in Leitrim (Leitrim Animal Welfare Centre)

Thanks :) I've been looking at a couple of the SPCA sites alright to see what kind of animals they have for rehoming. I'm curious though, does it cost much more to care for 2 cats instead of one? If some cats in the shelter are inseparable, it might be nice to get a duo to keep each other company during the day. There seems to be few enough mature cats in the shelters right now and tonnes of kittens and young adults...

Anyway, I won't be getting a cat for months yet. Not til I'm settled into the place at least. Just trying to consider everything before making the leap :D

wrote:
    Just trying to consider everything before making the leap :D
    You're right to and fair play!Ive had cats in the family since i was a kid but..now im all grown up :D all i wanted was a pet(s) of my own.

My first cat since getting my own home, i got for free through Boards actually in March 2010 (Beanie), the other was a "semi feral" who arrived on my doorstep about 8mths ago and stayed (Molly)..the drama queen but oh so pretty :D Beanie was neutered vaccinated and microchipped when i got him, Molly i got done a few months ago (luckily free of charge through work).They get on great together, Molly adores Beanie (not so much me though :o) as she still has a stubborn independent streak about her..but shes a little cutie. I always wanted 2 cats and "effort"wise theres no difference tbh apart from double the worry :o

Aside from the initial big things (neutering,vaccinating and chipping) this is what it roughly costs me per week.

Food: Royal Canin 1.5kg bag dry €14 (with staff discount) with half a tin of tuna (with oil not brine) twice a week.Brine is too salty and not kidney-friendly. Some weeks its a mix if im broke, with 50:50 Royal Canin and Select Gold dry. You will be driven demented with peoples opinions on whats the best food/brand. I feed what they like and what i can afford tbh. They are thriving! I rarely feed wetfood eg. tinned Whiskas/Kitekat (Kittycrack :D). I find tinned stuff messier, less filling (its generally 85%+ water) and would spend as much on it as i would dry. I dont judge people on what brands they feed. Ive heard so many peoples experiences of what they feed theirs, some thrive on middle of the road brands...others dont and do better on the "top brands". Cats are notorius for suffering from kidney problems with reoccurent UTIs (urinary tract infections and crystals).Diet plays a big factor so abnormal/excessive urination needs to be monitored.The same goes for defaecation! Cats dont wear their hearts on their sleeves like dogs do, so you often wont spot a sick cat...until they are very advanced sick.If you do adopt dont drastically change food but slowly introduce a new type if needed.You'll get to know its likes/dislikes pretty quickly. Its demeanour,coat condition,bowel movements etc will all become strangely amazing to you :p

Mine luckily drink alot of water naturally, so i dont feel the need to subsitute my dry food with wet (canned) Their litter tray "deposits" are much better for it. Up to yourself though and dont feel pressurised to feed the so called "best" if your cat does fine otherwise ( i expect to be open to criticism though)!

Litter: I have 2 covered over trays like these (initial outlay about €30) or just a normal open tray (less than a tenner). Again up to yourself. The covered ones mean less hoovering :D I buy Otto cat litter from Lidl...one bag lasts about a week or so. It costs less than €3. Again...you'll get mixed reviews on brands. This works well for me.

Worm tablets: Essential!!! Drontal cat every 3-4mths. Essential if they go outside like mine do (im not going into the inside/outside debate again).No need to go to the vet for these as many pharmacies stock them now.

Insurance: ~€10/mth. Not everyone has it, again its up to yourself. You may feel saving a few quid a month is better for you.

So estimating it, id probably spend €20/wk on the basics (food and litter), the essentials (worming and Vaccs) ~€150/yr and the "up to yourself) things (insurance and toys) ~€160+. Vet fees/cattery fees are a whole different ballgame and i couldnt even estimate them as you may have an Ox on your hands who rarely needs a vet.

Ive written a lot and it seems daunting, but pet ownership shouldnt be entered into lightly. They're a HUGE committment, one i wouldnt be without...but its brilliant you're asking questions at all as so many people dont.;)

Again...good luck. Do your research, ask the questions and take your time. It'll be one lucky kitty who gets to live in your gaff :)

Indoor cats can sleep all day and awake just to eat. But at least once a day they want to play so set aside some time to stimulate your cat. Mine loves to fetch like a dog or alittle fighting but buy yourself a glove as they really can do damage to the hands and arms LOL.

That's a very helpful post, thanks Annihoo! :D Great to see what the breakdown is and where the costs go. Lots and lots to consider. Now the only major issue left is to choose one of the thousands of gorgeous kitties looking for a home =3 :P
    Bullseye1 wrote:
    Indoor cats can sleep all day and awake just to eat. But at least once a day they want to play so set aside some time to stimulate your cat. Mine loves to fetch like a dog or alittle fighting but buy yourself a glove as they really can do damage to the hands and arms LOL.

:pac: Sounds great!

• Advertisement

No problem. Thats just my take on things though.Its not perfect by any means so dont be afraid to ask questions though, however intimidating this forum may seem at times.Its not a stupid question if you honestly dont know the answer!!!

It can get a bit prickly in here sometimes as ive experienced yet again this week.:o In "real life" im probably seen as the "mad cat lady"..on here it can be portrayed as im not doing enough and being "irresponsible"! Dont be afraid to hear criticism,shake it off and come back and ask questions/help with advice ok ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

I think you sound like you'll be a good cat owner, not sure if its the right time for you to get one though with college and all. Saying that, its good to see your thinking of getting an older cat, so so many cats in rescues across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A cat is for life, not just for lunch breaks.

All honestly you might not be the most suitable owner but surely you'd be better for the cat than the pound.

I think you sound like you'll be a good cat owner, not sure if its the right time for you to get one though with college and all. Saying that, its good to see your thinking of getting an older cat, so so many cats in rescues across the country.

Thanks. That's nice to hear :)
    Oranage2 wrote: »

All honestly you might not be the most suitable owner but surely you'd be better for the cat than the pound.

Some might argue it'd be better for the cat to wait for a perfect owner than settle for an absentee one

Oranage2 wrote: »

Do you spend 24/7 with your cat? The girl isn't always going to be at home whether she is a student or is out working. If people were to work on your basis they wouldn't keep pets in the first place because they are too busy.

Advertisement