Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUTBUILDINGS.

Options
  • 12-08-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

What exactly is covered under the "outbuildings" cover of a household policy?.

I am trying to sort out a query for an elderly relative who seems a bit confused about this as her policy is now up for renewal. Having read the policy document I am a bit confused too !

The property has a garage and a shed (concrete block construction). Both of these buildings are stand alone - they are not connected to the main house or to each other. They are both part of the insured property.

As I read the policy document it seems that the garage and the shed appear to be covered under the definition of buildings.

So, am I reading things wrongly or does the outbuildings cover mean something else ? Do the garage and the shed actually need to be covered under the outbuildings section or should they fall under buildings ?

Some of the confusion arises from the appearance of a separate sum insured for outbuildings in the policy schedule.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It doesn't matter what the size or shape the detached buildings are, it is down to the use it is put to. Once the structure is put to a domestic use, the household policy will cover it. Eg storing the lawnmower etc. Make sure the sum insured includes the rebuild cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Query resolved.

Buildings definition does include garage and shed.

"OUTBUILDINGS" actually meant the sum insured on the contents of the outbuildings something not readily apparent from the policy documents !

Thanks again.

Advertisement