Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop small claim

Options
  • 12-08-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Im looking for some advice with regard to pursuing a european small claim.

I bought a sony laptop in january 2009 from a uk store for circa €750/800 but this week the blueray/dvd drive appears to be after packing up out of the blue on it. I contacted the store it was bought from and (suprise suprise) they said to contact sony as its out of their hands, the only way they will accept a return for repair is with me paying.

Instead of getting the run around any longer I'm wondering is 2 years and 8 months within a reasonable time frame for a claim or to expect the drive to be working fine? Is a claim likely to be successful as its nearly 3 years old or should I start looking to have it repaired myself locally?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With a laptop that old you should just get it repaired or replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As long as you believe the damage is due to poor workmanship and not wear and tear, customer damage.

I would write to the retailer quoting the EC directive and give them 14 days to offer you something in writing. If it not a remedy you agree with then proceed to the small claims.
    How much would a new DVD drive set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im not sure what the cost would be of a new drive ill look into it,i dont think its from wear and tear though because i only use it for burning the odd cd or dvd its rarely used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

You're well within your statutory rights to request the retailer provide for repair of the DVD drive.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and Directive 99/44/EC both state that when a consumer buys goods from a trader they must be as described; of a satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. This legislation also states that the seller, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out a problem if the goods do not meet these requirements.

Call the Dublin office of the European Consumer Centre and speak with an advisor, they're most helpful.

http://www.eccireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

OK this is what you should do ring Sony on : 01 4073040
    Given the age of the unit they might be a small fee but Sony are great on the phone.
    Laptop gets collected from the door and gets brought back to your door within 10-15 days .

• Advertisement
Advertisement