Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal classes

Options
  • 12-08-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Just wondering when exactly you're supposed to go for antenatal classes? How many do you go for, and what do you do there?

I asked the community midwives at around 26 weeks and was told that they (the midwives) would book the classes for me and not to worry about it. I'm now 31 weeks and haven't heard a peep about them. I call and call and of course, noone answers the phone.

Feeling pretty neglected to be honest - there are loads of things that seem to have been missed or let slide with this pregnancy. Is this the norm with pregnancy care?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Where are you attending? I'm going to the Rotunda. I had my 1st at about 21 weeks & then they sent me out the rest of the dates which are pretty much every week from 31 weeks onwards (starting next monday).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

The only way I heard about antenatal classes was on the notice board in my GP's waiting room. The classes were 1 day/week for 4 weeks and run by the community PHNs.

I called the number, booked a spot & showed up. Honestly, I was personally very let down by them b/c the leading nurse/PHN wasn't from ROI & didn't know anything about the local policies of our two closest hospitals. She was dumbfounded as to why I'd ask if partners/husbands were allowed or encouraged to come, and we spent the first entire class learning the mechanics of *how* we got preg. :rolleyes:

I've heard many positive stories about antenatal classes, but most of those I've heard have been private (ie: paid) classes, and they're not cheap. They're also not offered anywhere close to my neck of the woods so the classes I attended were the only option I had.

If you can't find any or don't get into any in time, it's not the end of the world. A very good option instead would be to go into the maternity/labour ward of your hospital & ask for a tour. In my experience (Sligo Hospital) the midwives were fantastic with showing me everything & answering any questions I had. Other than that, you can learn a lot (if not all) of what would be taught in an antenatal class yourself online & through books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I went to them with my wife in Holles Street. They were free and really good. Very informative, they answer any questions, and the lady that does them (Think her name is Margret) is absolutely hilarious, but also knows her job inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 midnightdream

With the Rotunda as well and its all put into motion at your first appointment. There are about 7 covering everything by the sounds of it!
    There are lots of privat ones if you google them online but I'd say they cost! I think VHI pays some depending on your plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I went to them with my wife in Holles Street. They were free and really good. Very informative, they answer any questions, and the lady that does them (Think her name is Margret) is absolutely hilarious, but also knows her job inside out.

It's funny how people differ. I did ante natal classes in Holles Street the last time (2009) and found them the biggest waste of time. The labour ward she showed us was nothing like the actual labour ward and although the progression of labour part was very informative, that was only one class. I would have thought they'd have told you about breathing, how to cope with the gas and air...all that kind of thing. I thought it really fell short of the actual reality of what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, i was with the rotunda and only did 2classes as i didnt think they were great and i didnt actually have any experience with babies so its not like i knew it all or anything. I personally found the best thing to do was ask lots of questions of parents, ane in the hospital when you have the baby they do help you out and show you how to feed and bath baby... And i found the midwives in the hospital great too, and the other mothers. The classes basically cover pregnancy care and nutrition and excercise, then feedding baby, bathing baby etc. Yo have one around 20-26 weeks and the rest after 30weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I've booked mine at Holles St. I'm only 27 weeks and done two classes already but these were the last evening ones left really and I wanted himself there. I know I gave out about the 1st class last week - cos I was singled out as being absolutly terrified... - but this week was really good. She went through the full lead up to the "pushing" stage and gave a good understanding of the hospitals policy and birthing routine. For me, knowing when they want to start giving you oxytocin and when they'll start suggesting a c-section is really want I want to know as it's one thing that could put me in a panic in the labour ward if the just started suggesting these things. And I do mean suggesting, she made it clear that they listen to pretty much all your demands in there...

If I got nothing else out of the classes, I'd be happy with that. I am surprised that you feel a lot has been let slip with this pregnancy. From your tone it's your first (same here) and from what I understood about the community midwives they were a lot more hands on and ears on than the docs or the maternity. But I know there were a lot of cut backs that they suffered so maybe their time is more limited than it was before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It's funny how people differ. I did ante natal classes in Holles Street the last time (2009) and found them the biggest waste of time. The labour ward she showed us was nothing like the actual labour ward and although the progression of labour part was very informative, that was only one class. I would have thought they'd have told you about breathing, how to cope with the gas and air...all that kind of thing. I thought it really fell short of the actual reality of what happens.

How many classes did they do? They did the breathing with us. 5 hour long classes, they went through everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Paparazzo wrote: »
    How many classes did they do? They did the breathing with us. 5 hour long classes, they went through everything.

Hi Paparazzo....erm...I can't remember how many classes, it might have been 5 hour long classes alright, and they definitely didn't do breathing. They may have said 'the midwife will tell you when to breathe and when to push', but I thought they would have showed us how your breathing can help you deal with your contractions and how to breathe through a contraction etc. And most importantly how to deal with the air and gas, if it wasn't for one midwife that only happened to walk in as I was in labour I would have given up on it completely.

Also, they tell you about hospital procedure as regards the progression of labour and when they intervene, but they don't warn you they have to phone for an anaesthetist if you want an epidural and you have to wait for them to get there. I just felt there was so much they left out about what actually happens, maybe it's to avoid scaremongering, but if they're going to be so honest about other things, I don't know why the scrimp on important details.

If it was my first again, I'd go to an independent antenatal class, not the hospital one...find out as much information as I could and then present them to the hospital/consultant at my next appointment and have them talk me through the hospital procedure on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

I have my first of 2 classes this evening........

wondering how it will go. I am intrigued as to what they cover- my hospital does not give tours of labour ward so it will interesting to see how they prepare us for the birth etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement