Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you help? Really horrible story.

Options
  • 12-08-2011 6:23pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For anyone with a bit of land....PLEASE SHARE & HELP: thoroughbred horses no longer wanted, all due to be put down on Saturday, most broodmares, broken & some in foal, homes badly needed.

Edit: just hearing the horses will not be put down... so i'll edit out the details til i hear more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

That's awful... TBs are fantastic horses, regardless of what they've done in their past careers, but unfortunately due to the still-present belief that they're 'highly strung' and unsuitable for pleasure riding a lot of people still won't even consider taking one. Thankfully that perception is changing recently, but we've still got a long way to go! :(

Are the horses with the IHWT at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I've had this exact message posted several times on my Facebook page each time with a completely different telephone number to phone. After researching I came up with the below...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/facebook/ss/52-Thoroughbred-Horses-Need-Homes.htm

The original horses have found homes back in February...

http://yourseosucks.com/2011/02/52-horses-barnesville-ohio/

Its possible now scammers have caught on to this and are trying to catch people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Scam or not, the truth is that TB horses are being put down all over the place due to high costs of keeping and low value. Unless they are turning over money as racers, most owners won't see it as financially viable to keep the horses. As convert said, TB's are still attached with the reputation of being highly strung and unsuitable for most riders, making them difficult to sell. Abandonment or factory are the other options, unless people are willing to take the horses off their hands.
    So yeah, it could be a scam, but the fact still remains that there are a lot of TB's and other horses out there in bad need of homes, making the chances of this being a Facebook viral message fairly slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I completely agree with you about the TB issue and don't get me wrong on that. The fact that I've seen this posted several times with several different phone numbers on various different sites suggests that there is something dodgy about it and is unfortunately as stated on my links above, something that went viral. The original 52 TB's in Ohio have already been rehomed. So why is this message continuing with different phone numbers each time? Yes there are TBs needing homes but I for one am not going to ring each and every separate number just because people keep posting it on the Internet.
    Same message, different numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I haven't seen too many messages regarding the welfare of the thousands of cattle, pigs amd sheep that are killed. Time to grow up and realise that the factory is the humane way to go for lots of horses unfortunatley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

These messages are a sam looking for funds...beware

Advertisement