Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of visa for sponsor

• 12-08-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Sorry if already asked ,I couldnt find.I was wondering what the cost of sponsoring would be for an American employer.My partner is possibly getting a job as a goalkeeping coach in the Usa (they are looking into cost).I have heard a lot of different prices from $2000-$12,000 so wondering what the real cost might be.Also if they sponsor him what way do i go about getting a famliy visa of sorts.We have a 10 year old son although not married together 15 years.Appreciate any help with this .Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Cost is around $5000 to the employer, but of course it depends where they are, whether they have in-house lawyers etc.

There are visas available for spouses and minor children of work or sports visa holders, but not for partners- ie you'd need to get legally married to be elligible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Thank you for the quick reply.It will prob be Amherst .I thought once we could prove we lived together (have done for 8 years ) that it could be classed as a common law spouse.Is this not applicable then .Do you definetly have to married or are there ways around it .

Definitely have to be married, unless you get a work visa completely separate from him. The USA does not recognise common law spouses for the purposes of visas and/ or immigration.

Apparently when he went to the Us embassy they said we didnt need to be married.The fact we live together and have a child and can prove it .I told him i didnt think so but he said thats what he was told ??

He cannot just go to the US embassy, how did he get in? It's rather complicated to get an appointment, and there are none for non-US citizens to just ask questions. Maybe this is a case of him talking to a friend who knew someone who had a cousin who worked there?

In any case, yes common law marriages are definitely not allowed, as the US embassy in Dublin's website specifies: http://dublin.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/partners-and-common-law-spouses.html You could apply for a tourist visa- giving you 6 months rather than 90 days in the USA, but could not work or anything, and it is very difficult to get these extended past the 6 months.

• Advertisement

Thanks ,I kow he queued to go in and spoke to someone .Appreciate your help.Will look into this more .

Advertisement