Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostels in Perth

Options
  • 12-08-2011 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey all... myself and my other half are making the big move to Oz next month, starting in Perth. Was just wondering if anybody knows of any hostels in Perth where one can work to pay for accomodation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Caoimhin. wrote: »
    Hey all... myself and my other half are making the big move to Oz next month, starting in Perth. Was just wondering if anybody knows of any hostels in Perth where one can work to pay for accomodation?

Pretty sure Billabong on Beaufort St lets you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭kod12

Heading over to Perth in November. Does anyone know of any good hostels to stay in been reading a few reviews on hostel world and some are hit and miss.

Also for anyone that has just arrived in Perth over the last while how have you found finding accomadation over there is gumtree and real estate.com the best route to go?

Cheers in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't know about paying for accomadation but the Billabong was pretty rough when we checked out the accommodation there last year and then decided not to stay there; plus it had "schoolies" so was quite noisy.

Stayed in the Underground Backpackers and it didn't fare much better but had lots of Irish there (a bad thing in my book)! and wasn't that great either. The Emperors Crown was a nice hostel but was booked out and couldn't accommodate us. Best of luck with the move!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Im currently in the Billabong, here nearly a month, have met a few nice people, but it has a scummy element to it too and some of the staff are rude and ignorant, i wouldnt recommend it to anyone TBH.

Cheers for the info guys. Ye seems fairly hard to pick out a decent hostel in Perth it seems. Someone said to check out spinners hostel they were there a few years ago so i wonder what its like now. How is the housing situation there at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Found a place to live!! In Glendalough, near where I work, so very handy, thank got I'm out of that Billabong dive!! :)
    Had to complain to staff last night over tossers shouting and roaring next door to me while I trying to sleep, this place attracts some of the biggest pricks I ever come across.

ha ha wont be staying in the billabong so. Heading over there start of November so hopefully will be handy to get a house sorted in the first few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Tieko

I stayed in the Old Swan Barracks when I was in Perth and have to say it was a decent hostel with a pretty cool bar and hang out area. All hostels are usually looking for people willing to do a few hours work for acc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jaycarlow

Hey how are ya? In Perth myself just moved into a almost brand new townhouse with my 3 friends and pinching ourselves to be honest how lucky we were to get it and delighted how we furnished it.With regards to Hostels i would stay away from Underground. I was almost knifed in that place cause i asked a lad to leave my room. After that moved into a place called Shannon House in Subi.Cant say enough good things about it. Nice furnished rooms and if ur with the other half u could have a room just for the 2 of u.2 nice living areas and a nice kitchen.Only 30 capacity so its nice a cosy and everyone is good friends in there. No bar or anything like that but unlike other hostels you can stock up your fridge with ur own drink and enjoy the weekends without too much hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Caoimhin.

So I've been in Perth a week or so now and I thought I'd check back in with my experiences so far. Stayed at two different hostels so far. The YHA on Wellington and Bambu in Northbridge. Good experiences in both hostels. Bambu slightly more "rough and ready" of the two but also a good bit cheaper, 34 per night in YHA vs. 28 per night in Bambu.

Been warned to stay well clear of the uderground too by a few folks here... good for a constant party and little else :)

• Advertisement

Hi guys

Thanks for all the responses ill stay away from the underground so ha ha. Is realestate.com.au and gumtree still the best way to get a house. Are they fairly strict on references in perth. Subacio Scarbourgh have been recommended as good places to set up.

kod, yeah those are the two sites that everybody uses over here as far as I can tell, with gumtree being the best for short term and sharing.

You will almost definitely need references. The rental market here is extremely competitive. Some friends I have living here (who I'm hoping to move in with), working full time in an engineering company have been turned down for the last two houses they applied for. And they will call your Irish referees, so I've heard

Perfect. Ye thats what I have been told alright about the references have to get them sorted before I go. How long did you book a hostel for when you went over theres 3 of us heading over in November so prob best to book a hostel for 2 weeks or so while on the house hunt

I didn't book, I just showed up. Not these wisest idea to be honest and if you plan on staying two weeks you should definitely book ahead. The weekends can be busy and you could lose your bed if not booked in.

You'd probably be better off contacting the hostel directly if you plan to stay two weeks, as they will be able to give you a weekly rate which will be cheaper (usually) than the price you'll get on hostelworld

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Duckie88

jaycarlow wrote: »
    Hey how are ya? In Perth myself just moved into a almost brand new townhouse with my 3 friends and pinching ourselves to be honest how lucky we were to get it and delighted how we furnished it.With regards to Hostels i would stay away from Underground. I was almost knifed in that place cause i asked a lad to leave my room. After that moved into a place called Shannon House in Subi.Cant say enough good things about it. Nice furnished rooms and if ur with the other half u could have a room just for the 2 of u.2 nice living areas and a nice kitchen.Only 30 capacity so its nice a cosy and everyone is good friends in there. No bar or anything like that but unlike other hostels you can stock up your fridge with ur own drink and enjoy the weekends without too much hassle

Great info, i'm hostelhunting at the mo and stumbled upon Shannon House - there doesn't seem to be a direct website for it though? Anyway, we're hoping to book into a hostel for a week, then scout out this Shannon place. Or should we book it now? Me and the boyf, flying in 18th June, terribly unorganised right now.
    Also, found a cool site that offers house swap/one night stays/something longterm - bit like gumtree. Don't think it's for us though, we had a bad experience with that kind of houseshare:rolleyes: But lots of options for Perth:

http://www.airbnb.com/

Advertisement