Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray(?) cat query-how long to wait before neutering?

• 12-08-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

There's been a cat hanging aound our house for about 2 weeks, this week we put out some food and water and have been feeding it all week. It has been coming into the house and seems very friendly and very well trained.

i've checked the lost and found websites etc and the local animal rescue places to see if anyone has reported her missing - no luck! I am also going to arrange a trip to the vet to see if it is microchipped.

However, in the event of not being able to find the owner - how long would you normally wait to have it neutered (if its not already) - don't want to get it done, and then the owner appear and go mad.

Whats the normal length of time you should wait?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

is it an adult? If so and it is not neutered, it's fairly safe to assume it's not owned. I'd get it done straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I would get the cat neutered asap. Males can be done at any time of year once they are old enough and if the cat is a female (and not spayed) she is likely to have had a litter within the last few months so she would be fine to neuter now.

If an owner does turn up and have a go at you (which is really unlikely) you can point out that they left their "pet" to stray, unneutered and without any care for at least 2 weeks and they should be thankful you took it in.

Good on you for doing the right thing, and just a reminder that if the cat is a stray it will probably need some worm (and maybe flea/tick) treatment, which you can get from the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

As there is no legislation in Ireland in relation to cats and their welfare, even if her owner does show up, there is very little they can do about it and if they were responsible pet owners, they'd have had her neutered before letting her out to roam - though I know there are genuine accidents, cats get out and get lost, but I for one wouldn't dream of letting my cats out until they are neutered. If she is belonging to someone and she accidentally got out, then the owners should be thankful that their cat was safe, looked after and most importantly neutered. Cats, unlike dogs, can be neutered at any time, so I'd get her done or you could end up with kittens on your door step too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 booklover1975

Found out somebody down the road owns the cat, knocked on the door to ask them and they said it wasn't theirs:mad:

What should we do now? Cat is always in our garden, at our front door etc and don't want to see it starving - if we keep feeding it, it will keep coming back.......whats the right thing to do in this case???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

sounds like you've got yourself a cat! Please neuter straight away, there are so many unwanted kittens right now.

• Advertisement

I have no problem keeping it and bringing it to the vet for a check up - would the vet know by looking at it if it was neutered or spayed?

My one concern is that I know it is owned by this particular person - this has been confirmed by a few different people - what if they come around and accuse us of taking their cat?? We have been keeping the cat in at night - could they report us to the gardai for theft?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If the cat is in your house its yours unless they can prove ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

We have been keeping the cat in at night - could they report us to the gardai for theft?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

As I said before, there is no legislation relating to cats so you shouldn't worry. If they are unwilling to take responsibility for their cat and have denied ownership, then they have nothing to fight against. Get the cat neutered before you have kittens at your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

Well you already called to them and they said the cat want theirs so its highly unlikely they would turn around and want the cat back!

The vet should be able to tell you if its spayed or not, by the sounds of it I doubt it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

For peace of mind perhaps get it in writing? What are these people like, are they likely to cause trouble.

• Advertisement

For peace of mind perhaps get it in writing? What are these people like, are they likely to cause trouble.

If they are denying they own the cat, I doubt they would want to put it in writing that they don't own it. Don't know what they are like, have never spoken to them before.

At the end of the day its their word against ours - but I don't want to see the cat suffer, or don't want to stop feeding it (in case they aren't putting out food) - but don't want to cause trouble or be accused of theft either!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Maybe call back to them once more and just say that you are planning on keeping the cat, are they sure they don't know who owns it. See what they say. Thats given them 2 opportunities to own up to owning him/her and you've informed them that you plan on adopting it. Can't do more than that.

Advertisement