Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

the oppsostion ireland play 8/10 are average nothing more, nearly all of his goals came in friendly games which meant fu*k all.
    Keane has scored 32 times competitively including three in play-offs and three in the World Cup. He has scored against Yugoslavia, Turkey, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, France and Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

keane has done nothing of worth since being sold by liverpool FACT.

Hmm
    noodler wrote: »

WC Qualifiers:

V Cyprus (H) Keane scored winnner
    V Italy (A) Keane scored equaliser
    V Georgia (H) Keane scored both goals (2)
    V Cyprus (A) Keane Scored winner
    V France (A) Keane Scored equaliser

Euros (so far)

V Russia (H) Peno in the defeat
    V Andorra (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (A) Keane scored 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

the oppsostion ireland play 8/10 are average nothing more, nearly all of his goals came in friendly games which meant fu*k all.

Clueless post is clueless.

And bolding 'FACT' doesnt make it anymore factual....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just face it he's over the hill it happens to the best of them even the glorious robbie keane:D.

V Andorra (H) Keane scored 1 = bad team
    V Macedonia (H) Keane scored 1 = bad team
    V Macedonia (A) Keane scored 2 = bad team
    V Cyprus (H) Keane scored winnner = bad team
    V Georgia (H) Keane scored both goals (2) = bad team
    V Cyprus (A) Keane Scored winner = bad team

most of irelands competive fixtures also come against bad teams, im not saying keane is a bad player he has been a great servant to english football but again in recent years he's been shocking and well all though i am thankful for the job he has done for ireland, i take note that its not as if we are playing good teams, we play average to bad teams most fixtures competively or friendlys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

just face it he's over the hill it happens to the best of them even the glorious robbie keane:D.

V Andorra (H) Keane scored 1 = bad team
    V Macedonia (H) Keane scored 1 = bad team
    V Macedonia (A) Keane scored 2 = bad team
    V Cyprus (H) Keane scored winnner = bad team
    V Georgia (H) Keane scored both goals (2) = bad team
    V Cyprus (A) Keane Scored winner = bad team

most of irelands competive fixtures also come against bad teams, im not saying keane is a bad player he has been a great servant to english football but again in recent years he's been shocking and well all though i am thankful for the job he has done for ireland, i take note that its not as if we are playing good teams, we play average to bad teams most fixtures competively or friendlys.

Tell us who do you think is a better irish natural goalpoacher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

astonaidan wrote: »
    Sometimes I really worry for the youth of today and there knowledge of the game, Judging players on one or two good games, writing people off after two or 3 bad ones, Saying Keane is finished cause Hes in the MLS christ sake Landon Donavon is a top player he plays there

I agree on the point your making about the criticism of Keane. But the MLS is still generally the league players go to have a decent last few years there. Donovan playing there dosen't change that. He would be at Everton already except for the MLS's big asking price for him.

anirishlad wrote: »
    Tell us who do you think is a better irish natural goalpoacher?

long has the potential, but the truth is no one as of yet that we know of. I think the whole structure of irish football and how they coach and develop our youth is complete bullsh*t.

it might have worked 20 years ago when the game was more emphasized on physicality and less technical but not these days, imo if you want to produce a strong national team in years to come it has to start at the very beginning developing technically good players to those of spain and a lot of south american nations there's no reason why we cant.

england and the FA are slowly starting to relize this and changing there approach on there grass roots system hopefully the irish FAI will follow suit until then we could be waiting a long time for another robbie keane but he came up in a different footballing structure and environment to that of young players these days.

ask yourself this would you rather see keane banging in goals against good teams or banging in goals against terible oppostion week in and week out?

for the record on people bringing up donovan, yes we know he is a good player but theres always a diamond in the dirt!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Keane - was a fine goal poacher... however,

... for the past 12/18 months he wouldn't hit an elephants arse, with a banjo from 3ft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

i couldn't be arsed watching anything that keane does in america its a micky mouse league with a few has beens like keane, Beckham etc, keane has done nothing of worth since being sold by liverpool FACT.

Of course not, you just post alot about it instead:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sometimes I really worry for the youth of today and there knowledge of the game, Judging players on one or two good games, writing people off after two or 3 bad ones, Saying Keane is finished cause Hes in the MLS christ sake Landon Donavon is a top player he plays there

I think Keane will probably do well in the MLS, and regular games may help his Ireland career too. Landon Donovan is indeed a top player, but being brutally honest, Leverkusen didn't rate him enough to play him very often, Bayern Munich had him on loan and decided against extending the loan. He played in the Premier league, and played well for Everton, but I don't think a dozen or so games can tell you whether he would have a been a long term success in a european league.

Regarding the MLS generally, would most ambitious american players rather stay in the US, or move to Europe? Would Donovan, if Everton had the money, rather have been a player in the English Premier League or the MLS? Only a guess, but I would guess England.

MLS is a good league and I enjoy watching some of the games, but its currently for players whos careers are at the beginning or the end, it can only be seen as a step down for Keane, difficult to think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I think Keane will probably do well in the MLS, and regular games may help his Ireland career too. Landon Donovan is indeed a top player, but being brutally honest, Leverkusen didn't rate him enough to play him very often, Bayern Munich had him on loan and decided against extending the loan. He played in the Premier league, and played well for Everton, but I don't think a dozen or so games can tell you whether he would have a been a long term success in a european league.

Regarding the MLS generally, would most ambitious american players rather stay in the US, or move to Europe? Would Donovan, if Everton had the money, rather have been a player in the English Premier League or the MLS? Only a guess, but I would guess England.

MLS is a good league and I enjoy watching some of the games, but its currently for players whos careers are at the beginning or the end, it can only be seen as a step down for Keane, difficult to think otherwise.

Yes MLS is kinda associated with players nearing the end of their careers for me anyways

While Keane will do well there I'd prefer if he was with Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

tbf, he flopped in Germany and was nowhere near a "top player" in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    While Keane will do well there I'd prefer if he was with Celtic
    Why ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

He bagged himself another individual goal there. I think this was yesterday:

The_B_Man wrote: »
    He bagged himself another individual goal there. I think this was yesterday:

Keep it up until the qualfiers Robbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Well taken goal that! No doubt the haters will blame the defence like they did for his debut goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

How many celebrations did he do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

markc1184 wrote: »
    Well taken goal that! No doubt the haters will blame the defence like they did for his debut goal.

shocking defending and goalkeeping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Dempsey wrote: »
    How many celebrations did he do?

I've always got the feeling that Robbie's been celebrating goals like that since he was about four years old, sure half the time he's celebrating before it goes in.

Trilla wrote: »

And i'll agree to an extent, but it still wont stop the detractors from jumping on that point alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Predalien wrote: »
    I've always got the feeling that Robbie's been celebrating goals like that since he was about four years old, sure half the time he's celebrating before it goes in.

When did he start doing that 'messi celebration' and the tattoo kissing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Well taken goal by Keane,hopefully he will stick a few next month for the boys in green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Dempsey wrote: »
    When did he start doing that 'messi celebration' and the tattoo kissing?

He's been kissing the tattoo for a while now, have no idea why. He's always the last to start headin back to his own half, he likes to soak up the applause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Predalien wrote: »
    He's been kissing the tattoo for a while now, have no idea why. He's always the last to start headin back to his own half, he likes to soak up the applause.

I wish he'd stop scoring for Ireland so we wouldn't have to put up with such scenes :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

gustavo wrote: »
    I wish he'd stop scoring for Ireland so we wouldn't have to put up with such scenes :(

Nonsense. He can flagellate himself with the corner flag for all I care, once he's scoring goals.

He's been kissing the tattoo since his child was born.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit unkind of the commentator to keep shouting "asshole, asshole, asshole" as Keane was walking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Trilla wrote: »

Is it a uniquely Irish thing to berate and belittle one of our own achievements?

Not picking on you alone Trilla, i'm sure there has been lots putting down Robbie since he moved to LA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

gustavo wrote: »

I do cringe myself when he does his little tumble but to wish that is just stupid as he is Irelands best goal scorer

• Advertisement

I see Keane got a goal and an assist in last nights match. Wasn't a great header but a goal none the less.

markc1184 wrote: »
    I see Keane got a goal and an assist in last nights match. Wasn't a great header but a goal none the less.

Thought twas a very good header myself.

noodler wrote: »
    Thought twas a very good header myself.

It was probably just the highlights that I seen of it. Bad camera angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Keane starts for LA Galaxy against The New York Red bulls in tonight's playoff game.

Live on ESPN.

Kickoff in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Robbie Keane just hit the post following an incredible cross from Beckham.

• Advertisement

Pitch is a disgrace btw.

Pitch is a disgrace btw.

Big snow storm in New York yesterday.

1-0 Galaxy, another wonder cross from Beckham, don't care what anyone says, he still has the best right boot in the world.

Keane has looked decent so far, won the free for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Just butchered a certain goal...

Why don't we just rename this thread to Robbie keane fanatics.

Can believe this thread is still active everytime keane plays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

He's the captain of the national team, all time leading scorer and all time leading transfer fee for an Irish man (probably) so there's bound to be an interest. Nobody asked you to read it.

Well, looks like he has faded a little in this second half. Probably not fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well, looks like he has faded a little in this second half. Probably not fully fit.

Yeah, he looks a little leggy and the pitch can't be helping. He's had some good touches, and some bad ones. Been quite involved though - dropping deep to collect at times, being the highest up the pitch and on the end of stuff at others.

Match being played at a decent pace and intensity, so overall it's a great workout for him. Good for an Irish perspective.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    He's the captain of the national team, all time leading scorer and all time leading transfer fee for an Irish man (probably) so there's bound to be an interest. Nobody asked you to read it.

No, you're correct.

Taken off after 82 minutes. Not at his best, but put in a shift as usual. Worked very hard, and it will have done him the world of good.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Taken off after 82 minutes. Not at his best, but put in a shift as usual. Worked very hard, and it will have done him the world of good.
    Yep, was vital he got this game under his belt especially with Doyle and Long being out of the first leg of the Estonia game.

Do you not keep up with current events? We have a Euro 2012 play-off in just under two weeks and it is absolutely vital that our top source of goals gets minutes under his belt after his injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just won the Western Conference final beating Real Salt Lake 3-1. Robbie scored 1 but could have had a hattrick. Hit the post in the first half and missed a sitter in the 90th minute when 1 v 1 with the keeper, all the time in the world (the defenders had given up) and he put it wide of the post.

Good performance from him ahead of the Estonia games.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Just won the Western Conference final beating Real Salt Lake 3-1. Robbie scored 1 but could have had a hattrick. Hit the post in the first half and missed a sitter in the 90th minute when 1 v 1 with the keeper, all the time in the world (the defenders had given up) and he put it wide of the post.

Good performance from him ahead of the Estonia games.

Good to hear and good from a fitness point of view we have him available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Seen the game on ESPN last night, I thought Keane played quite well. Here is the nice little goal he scored.

• Advertisement
Advertisement