Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He would be a mad man to turn this down if its true. I think he will stay at Spurs though. He will stupidly stay and fight for his place.

Levy has been trying to flog him to anybody for over a year and Harry doesn't rate him anymore. They want him off the wage budget and to make room for another member of the 25 man squad.

There is nothing to fight for and he knows it. If he does end up staying it will be for the money. Can't say I blame him, football careers are short enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

In golfing terms this is going to the senior tour. You can still be a star in MLS when you are over the hill - look at Beckham. I would be very surprised if he does not announce his retirement from international football after the euro championships. The travel alone is a major problem.

Good luck to him though. Best strker we've ever had. Hope he does well.

His decision is right for him. At 31 and no prospect of premiership football and getting harder to justify selection in International team ahead of premiership strikers what choice did he have. Grab this with both hands and enjoy the sun. Before you go though a few goals against Slovakia and Russia would be much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This is a semi retirement move for Keane. MLS is a very poor standard. I would say League 1 or SPL standard (look at MU's results in their recent tour for example). It is a shame that Keane is going there this year as I think he could of had a couple more years at a premier league player even if it was with a club in a relegation battle. Have seen Keane miss chances for Ireland that he would have bagged when he was playing every week for a good team and I don't think MLS standard will get his touch back. Beckham used to get loan moves every winter just so he could play at a decent level for part of the year.
    Sad about this as Keano was a great servant to Ireland and Spurs. Would have liked a better swan song for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If the English can barely understand him I can't wait too see his first press conference over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Fair play to him! Poor Robbie always had his begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Hope the move goes well for him, still think he'd do well at at spurs if 'Arry gave him a decent run in the team.

At this stage of his career he should do whats best for him and the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

bobmalooka wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

What's he on at spurs ? He be getting around €53000 a week if I worked it out properly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

robbie always made money out of deals , the man clearly likes the greenback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

bobmalooka wrote: »

True.

wheelbarrow-of-money-520x340.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Great news for Ireland. Hopefully he will be sharp for the Slovakia and Russia games next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

I wonder will Komrade McGeady be so eager to pass him the ball now he's going Stateside? :pac: Never thought I'd see the day of an Irish squad containing players in both Russia and the US.

BTW I presume Keane can avail of loan-moves during the off season (like Beckham and Donovan) so we might still see him back in the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I doubt it. The reason teams like Milan came in for Beckham during the offseason is because he is a world star. He brings the media, attention and shirt sales.

Keane wouldn't bring any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Kirby wrote: »
    I doubt it. The reason teams like Milan came in for Beckham during the offseason is because he is a world star. He brings the media, attention and shirt sales.

Keane wouldn't bring any of that.

I never said anything about going to a club like AC. I was thinking more like Molineux than Milan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    I never said anything about going to a club like AC. I was thinking more like Molineux than Milan.

keane would not drive within 20 miles of wolves....

clearly not in his league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    I wonder will Komrade McGeady be so eager to pass him the ball now he's going Stateside? :pac: Never thought I'd see the day of an Irish squad containing players in both Russia and the US.

BTW I presume Keane can avail of loan-moves during the off season (like Beckham and Donovan) so we might still see him back in the PL?
    I'd say he'll go to Celtic during off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's his childhood team

Club was founded in 1995, so they were his teenage team.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

The yanks will absolutely adore him, an Irish lad, and he'll score goals in a poor league. My only worry would be his performance for our national team. All that travelling to even play a shíte friendly against a shíte eastern European team will take it's toll. He is a huge player for us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Robbie Keane, America, where did ye get such a notion?
    119998007RM009_Manchester_U.JPG

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

dartbhoy wrote: »
    While he's going to rake in a fortune over in MLS I don't think this is a good move for Robbie Keane as regards his International career and it's only a matter of time now when we see Long and Doyle Ireland's new strikeforce up front.

If Keane wasn't so obsessed with money and had interest in prolonging his international career a move to recently linked championship team Leicester would have made a way more sense as regards Ireland IMO. In fairness to Keane it's a good retirement package for him!

How would signing for a championship team keep you ahead of two premiership strikers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

gustafo wrote: »
    won't this be a disaster for the irish side ? if he goes there would ye think he will still compete with ireland ?

He's been playing for Ireland for the last two years despite playing next to no football of any variety. I think he'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Blatter wrote: »
    I won't believe it until I see it

Same
    It's his childhood team

I know thats a joke but I think people are kind of ignoring the fact that a helluva lot of people in Ireland support Celtic as a given + one premiership club. How anybody can honestly doubt the liklihood of an Irish man from a working class part of Dublin supporting both Celtic and Liverpool is totally beyond me.
    $$$$$$$ wise, very good move.

is there a player who has had more transfers than keane in the modern era, lol

he is a gas man.

This was one of my main reasons for thinking it would not be true - if he has made a slice of every transfer he has ever done then he would surely be better placed than most EPL footballers for cash (I would have thought)

Anyway: Sky Sports news are NOW reporting that Galaxy have agreed a fee with Spurs: I will be very disappointed if this is true. The national side's most important player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

noodler wrote: »
    Anyway: Sky Sports news are NOW reporting that Galaxy have agreed a fee with Spurs: I will be very disappointed if this is true. The national side's most important player.

Yes. Fee in the region of 3 million said to have been accepted by Spurs. MLS transfer window is about to close so deal needs to get done in the next few hours if it's going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes. Fee in the region of 3 million said to have been accepted by Spurs. MLS transfer window is about to close so deal needs to get done in the next few hours if it's going to happen.

And apparently, Angel would need to leave as well as they can only have 3 designated players.

Alot needs to happen between now and 5am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

if the deal goes through good luck to him & wish him all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Why does everyone here seem to begrudge Robbie. The Galaxy are the only team that have actually bid for him. And he has just a few hours to wrap a deal up. I'm delighted for him he's coming to the end of his career and gave a lot of years of great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

ever since inter signed him all them years ago, $$$$ went to his head to be honest and he has been over rated. all the failed transfers put testimony to that.

he has done well for Ireland and I applaud him but he is hardly a george best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ever since inter signed him all them years ago, $$$$ went to his head to be honest and he has been over rated. all the failed transfers put testimony to that.

In all fairness now there's not many like George Best, unfair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Galaxys bid has been accepted according to RTE website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

I think that's unfair. He would be moving from Spurs, where he reportedly gets a hefty wage and sits on a bench, to another team where he will also be paid handsomely, yet also play. And to a decent standard - certainly better than the English Reserves anyway. I don't see a problem with regard to his international career, apart from the travelling. But South Americans make longer journeys and seem to get on ok...

Also, this Robbie-bashing has to end. He always gives 100% in every game for club and country. I don't think anyone can begrudge such an honest player for wanting to make his career as financially successful as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

'Arry made a big loss on that deal then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ever since inter signed him all them years ago, $$$$ went to his head to be honest and he has been over rated. all the failed transfers put testimony to that.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thank God he is not a George Best, he has done far better than that drunken waste of talent.

Hope this deal goes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Equium wrote: »
    Also, this Robbie-bashing has to end. He always gives 100% in every game for club and country. I don't think anyone can begrudge such an honest player for wanting to make his career as financially successful as possible.

Personally I believe Doyle and Long should be ahead of him in the Irish team, however that being said Keane is Ireland's greatest ever striker and deserves respect in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This isn't a done deal is it? I'd say he'll turn them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Their transfer deadline is in a few hours, isn't it? He will go there IMO, he'll be keeping the missus sweet by moving where she wants after he was caught out a while back.

Good move for him a personal level, gets to move to America and pocket a shed load of cash whilst in the last few years of his career.

I've never got the hate towards him. Good luck to him. I'm sure I'd be off to America at that stage of my career if I had the chance. He'll score goals for fun over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Paully D wrote: »
    Their transfer deadline is in a few hours, isn't it? He will go there IMO, he'll be keeping the missus sweet by moving where she wants after he was caught out a while back.

Good move for him a personal level, gets to move to America and pocket a shed load of cash whilst in the last few years of his career.

I've never got the hate towards him. Good luck to him. I'm sure I'd be off to America at that stage of my career if I had the chance. He'll score goals for fun over there.

couldn't of put it better Paully
    why shouldn't he have a go in America,good luck to him

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Paully D wrote: »
    He will go there IMO, he'll be keeping the missus sweet by moving where she wants after he was caught out a while back.

I must have missed that, was he caught with his hand in another cookie jar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

If he goes, Harry will get Adebayor on loan from City. Thus making a mockery of the 100.0 price I just got on him to be top goalscorer via Betfair.

Sincerely,

Mystic Meg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Does anyone think he might have his final year in the league of Ireland? He won't get paid a lot, but even if he did it for free, playing here would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

best of luck to him if its true. cant blame the man for following the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

CorkMan wrote: »
    Does anyone think he might have his final year in the league of Ireland? He won't get paid a lot, but even if he did it for free, playing here would be good.

No chance. He's all about the dosh.

Did he have a childhood LOI team? Rovers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

tolosenc wrote: »

It's just annoying when you see international football players who moved abroad during their primes, move back to their home country and play for 1 or 2 years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

flahavaj wrote: »
    This isn't a done deal is it? I'd say he'll turn them down.

Not a chance imo, his wife will see posh and becks and sunshine and that'll be it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Well he has several childhood teams.
    Coventry, Leeds, Inter, Wolves, Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs and apparently LA Galaxy.

Good luck to Robbie hope the move works out for him he deserves it. Don't understand all the begrudgers on here without him in the Irish side we would have been severely worse off. Cant deny his commitment to Ireland playing for us just days after his Dad died. Hope it all works out for him and be just glad to see him playing football. Good game on espn against henry's team in 2 weeks be interesting now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

BOHtox wrote: »
    Well he has several childhood teams.
    Coventry, Leeds, Inter, Wolves, Liverpool, Celtic, Spurs and apparently LA Galaxy.
    Hilarious! We've only heard that joke about 6 or 7 times on this thread alone now :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am disappointed that he's considering this move, he's still clearly good enough to be a 10-15 goal a season player at one of the lower-level Premier League clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good luck to Robbie hope the move works out for him he deserves it. Don't understand all the begrudgers on here without him in the Irish side we would have been severely worse off. Cant deny his commitment to Ireland playing for us just days after his Dad died. Hope it all works out for him and be just glad to see him playing football. Good game on espn against henry's team in 2 weeks be interesting now !

If your going to find a place for people to despise someone irrationally you'll most certainly find it in ireland.

Best of luck to Robbie, he indemnifies everything we should want from a player in international selection and has had nothing but love and pride in the jersey throughout his career. If I had the ability to have done that over a career id die a happy man.

Good luck rob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I can't really understand this argument at all. The move to Italy floundered mostly because the manager who believed in him was axed almost immediately and the next one (Tardelli, ironically enough...) didn't rate him. After that he moved to Leeds where he started brightly before having a bad season as Leeds imploded. Then he moved to Spurs where he was consistently one of their best players for years.

Time and again, managers and chairmen have believed in Keanes ability enough to invest millions in him. It wasn't Robbie that signed those cheques. The guy has a skill that was recognised and he has made the most of it. Good luck to him.

As long as Robbie is fit, he will be the first name on any Irish teamsheet for the next 2 years at least. He has proven himself in the Prem over many years and even operating from the Spurs bench he still does the business for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Hilarious! We've only heard that joke about 6 or 7 times on this thread alone now :rolleyes:

Anyway, I am disappointed that he's considering this move, he's still clearly good enough to be a 10-15 goal a season player at one of the lower-level Premier League clubs.

Does a kid die everytime it's used?
    No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not that I know of, no. Think he was a childhood Liverpool supporter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement