Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BOHtox wrote: »
    Does a kid die everytime it's used?
    No!

No but your credibility does, Each and Every time........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Why does everyone here seem to begrudge Robbie. The Galaxy are the only team that have actually bid for him.

Exactly! No Premier League club has made a bid for him. He should be playing regularly and I'm sure he wants to, so I think this is a great move all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am sure he would prefer a EPL team but does he take the risk of missing this opportunity in the hope a team makes a bid before August ends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would he? 3 million a year in the sun has its attractions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

mike65 wrote: »

Also has the drawbacks of him pulling out of future Ireland squads because of sunburn.

I have no doubt he would prefer the EPL if there was an opportunity.

I know people will argue you can never have enough money but I really think he is set money-wise (Certainly more than many EPL footballers due to his numerous transfers).

I think he knows how a move to Galaxy will be percieved here and in England, no matter what people say - being at Galaxy (whilst better than not playing at all) is still not as good as playing in the premiership.

He also has undisputed national ambitions which have more chance of succeeding if he is testing himself against EPL defenders every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

His mot would save a fortune on Ronseal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

He can hardly say he supported LA Galaxy as a kid they didn't exist til 1997;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

listermint wrote: »
    No but your credibility does, Each and Every time........
    Meh........credability smedability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Im looking foward to Robbie outscoring Henry between now and the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Guess I'm finally going to have to watch an MLS game now. :(

Might tune in for the (shudder) 'post season' Conference Semi-Finals starting October 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Yanks were probably expecting Robbie to come off the plane in a leprechaun outfit :D Saying "Top of the morning to ye all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

The Yanks were probably expecting Robbie to come off the plane in a leprechaun outfit :D Saying "Top of the morning to ye all"

Thats exactly how Id make my entrance:p

Will the yanks even know who he is? I mean I don't need anyone to tell me his biog but it's not as tho he's ever featured in a major title winning team or won the PFA player of the year or played in a major international tournament in a long time etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Will the yanks even know who he is? I mean I don't need anyone to tell me his biog but it's not as tho he's ever featured in a major title winning team or won the PFA player of the year or played in a major international tournament in a long time etc.

Who cares, maybe they just wanted a goal scorer ??

listermint wrote: »
    Who cares, maybe they just wanted a goal scorer ??

Who cares. I care. The guy was asking how fans expect Keane upon arrival. I'm curious as to whether they know much about him as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Who cares. I care. The guy was asking how fans expect Keane upon arrival. I'm curious as to whether they know much about him as it is.

The one's who follow the premier league will (odds are fans going to matches in LA probably have a passing interest in the english game too, since every game is televised over there).

He certainly won't be mega-superstar level, but id say most will know who he is and be happy to have a guy who, while not at his best any more, is still far from a spent force, and will be a step above most in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The one's who follow the premier league will (odds are fans going to matches in LA probably have a passing interest in the english game too, since every game is televised over there).

He certainly won't be mega-superstar level, but id say most will know who he is and be happy to have a guy who, while not at his best any more, is still far from a spent force, and will be a step above most in the league.

Exactly, the US soccer fan is far more knowledgeable than people around here like to give them credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Good move for Keane, not so good for Ireland. Large amount of travelling, bad time for off season. Even better move for his permaorange talentless "model" wife who will become a z list celebrity in a whole different continent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Im not his biggest fan but I do defend him aswell,I think its a great move,first team football where he will bang them in,Beckham never had a problem when he played for England and maybe trap will give Keane some leeway when it comes to stupid friendlies,also it lets his missus try a career in America which means we see less of her talking bollox on the t.v:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I dont know what other people think but Robbie wont find it easy to hold a first team place.

The standard of the MLS is improving season after season .

Sky Sports News confirming it now.

Dark day in my opinion - obviously better than rotting at Spurs but really thought an EPL team would come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's ****e & his attitude stinks. Probably his level now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

“I am delighted, honored and very excited to be joining the LA Galaxy,” Keane said. “I have always wanted to come and play in MLS so it’s the perfect combination for me and a dream come true."

Fcuk sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

He has some list of places he's always wanted to play in!!!

Good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Mr Alan wrote: »

Jesus. I shouldn't get annoyed at nonsense like this, but it still annoys me.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hunter164 wrote: »
    “I am delighted, honored and very excited to be joining the LA Galaxy,” Keane said. “I have always wanted to come and play in MLS so it’s the perfect combination for me and a dream come true."

Fcuk sake.

Amazing.

Fcuk sake.

Meh, playing to a crowd in a different continent - what the hell do you want him to say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

noodler wrote: »
    Meh, playing to a crowd in a different continent - what the hell do you want him to say?

not tell lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

OptaJoe wrote:
    123 - Since his debut, only two players (Lampard and Henry) have scored more goals in the Premier League than Robbie Keane. Hollywood

Thanks for the memories Robbie, Spurs legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

mixednuts wrote: »
    I dont know what other people think but Robbie wont find it easy to hold a first team place.

The standard of the MLS is improving season after season .

Robbie will start every game if he's fit, the standard is improving but Robbie will comfortably be one of the best players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Best of Luck Robbie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

No EPL club came in for him that we know off probably says it all for himself. Once he left Spurs it was down hill after with the L'pool move failing and going back to Spurs. He organised a x-mas party trip over to Ireland that didn't go down well with Harry and i think that was pretty much the end of him at Spurs from then on. Even his International career could be under threat or over now. Shane Long, Kevin Doyle, Simon Cox are playing in the EPL. The argument that happend in the irish camp recently with a punch beenthrown, rumours are it was Keane.

Good luck to him, no doubt he will score goals for fun over there and we will follow him to see how he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cracking striker with two good seasons left in him. Good luck to him. With Beckham and Donovan supplying the service he'll score a serious amount of goals over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

As a West Ham fan - LA is just about far enough away for the useless f**ker - he couldn't score for us from 3ft with the keeper gone AWOL ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'll be back on loan in November, probably for a promoted side or Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

noodler wrote: »
    No.

Attitude-anyone who watches him play can see it.

His level-no PL team in for him & one championship side in for him. Its his level. Accept it.

He's ****ing unreal :D
    He'll be back on loan in November, probably for a promoted side or Everton.

It's always been his dream to go on loan to Everton apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

pjmn wrote: »
    As a West Ham fan - LA is just about far enough away for the useless f**ker - he couldn't score for us from 3ft with the keeper gone AWOL ....

If lack of quality, heart and effort for The Hammers in the Prem last year was the criteria, then most of the current West Ham squad would be joining Robbie in the MLS right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Fcuk sake.

It has to be a running joke at this stage like when the rugby lads taking the piss with their interviews

Des wrote: »
    not tell lies.

How would your opening address to a new club go?

Don't be so naive

2 goals for a fairly crap team in fairness.
    Attitude-anyone who watches him play can see it.

Given his lack of club football over the past year most of the performances many would have seen would be at international level. These performances certainly have no lacked effort, attitude or ability.
    His level-no PL team in for him & one championship side in for him. Its his level. Accept it.

Still two weeks in the EPL window to be fair and FAR more likely cash was an issue - I think it is an incredibly incorrect statement to say that no EPL team would want him.

It's always been his dream to go on loan to Everton apparently.

Again, a huge portion of football fans in Ireland support Celtic and 1 EPL team. That easily explains Liverpool and Celtic - when moving to a new continent - why anyone would expect him to say anything other than "I've always wanted to play in the MLS" is beyond me.

Everyone here have jobs? Did you act indifferently when you were awarded them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If lack of quality, heart and effort for The Hammers in the Prem last year was the criteria, then most of the current West Ham squad would be joining Robbie in the MLS right now!

.. fair challenge (and I respect your opinion), and I agree that some (not most) others could fall in to the same category - e.g. Benni, however he was being paid c. #70k per week and in all honesty he couldn't/wouldn't hit a barn door from 3ft, as others on team contrived to set him up on 3/4 occasions towards the end of the season and he managed to miss the target on each occasion (those chances if converted would have given us the draw/win and in the turn the necessary points to have stayed up...

... on that basis I stand over my original comment...

.. fair challenge (and I respect your opinion), and I agree that some (not most) others could fall in to the same category - e.g. Benni, however he was being paid c. #70k per week and in all honesty he couldn't/wouldn't hit a barn door from 3ft, as others on team contrived to set him up on 3/4 occasions towards the end of the season and he managed to miss the target on each occasion (those chances if converted would have given us the draw/win and in the turn the necessary points to have stayed up...

... on that basis I stand over my original comment...

God, even more ridiculous than your last post.

"If striker X hadn't missed a chance then team Y would have won?" - Does that about sum up your argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Believe it or not, there is a difference between making the right noises to get your new fans on your side and making yourself look like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

He is a little weasel and nothing short of it. Disgusting selfish attitude on the pitch and nowhere near captain material. I guess a career of tap ins and raping the offside line will get you a retirement package in the sun. Good on ya Robbie, ya little dancer ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Of course it's a dream come true for him! He gets to live in sunny LA while getting paid thousands of dollars a week to play football.

Lucky b@stard.

Believe it or not, there is a difference between making the right noises to get your new fans on your side and making yourself look like an idiot.

Saying you always wanted to play in the MLS makes you look an idiot?

No, I think the majority of posters here have misread the statement and press reports and actually think he said he always wanted to play for LA Galaxy.
    He is a little weasel and nothing short of it. Disgusting selfish attitude on the pitch and nowhere near captain material. I guess a career of tap ins and raping the offside line will get you a retirement package in the sun. Good on ya Robbie, ya little dancer ya.

Thats hugely disrespectful paragraph - fairly inaccurate too.
    WC Qualifiers:

V Cyprus (H) Keane scored winnner
    V Italy (A) Keane scored equaliser
    V Georgia (H) Keane scored both goals (2)
    V Cyprus (A) Keane Scored winner
    V France (A) Keane Scored equaliser

Euros (so far)

V Russia (H) Peno in the defeat
    V Andorra (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (A) Keane scored 2

Didn't think I'd be the one defending him from some of this silliness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I guess a career of tap ins and raping the offside line will get you a retirement package in the sun.

Some people still don't get that the whole idea of a striker is to put the ball in the back of the net. If it was that easy to get into those sort of positions then everyone would become a Premier League striker :rolleyes:

Cracking player was Robbie and he'll have another two good seasons at least. I really don't get the hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Good luck to him. Still could easily play in the prem and do well. Really don't understand people's lack of respect towards him and to say his attitude stinks is just lol.

Advertisement