Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

If Keane had not missed the chances at Wigan and at home to Blackburn Rovers, he could have been the lynchpin of a reformed West Ham United team in the Premiership.

A fully functional West Ham team was probably the best he could hope for, unless Newcastle or Sunderland came in and offered him a deal. There was no way the Champions League teams would be interested, while a return to Liverpool or Spurs was probably out of the question.

Otherwise, he would have had to utilised the likes of Wolves or QPR to rejuvinate himself, and at his stage of life, it is unlikely such a move would give him a new lease on life.

The American League is not bad, but it certainly is not great. I believe he will come back to Europe ala Beckham, but his principal club will be in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Het-Field wrote: »
    If Keane had not missed the chances at Wigan and at home to Blackburn Rovers, he could have been the lynchpin of a reformed West Ham United team in the Premiership.

Obsessed you are!

If he had score against Italy (the second) in Bari we might have gone to the World Cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

noodler wrote: »
    Obsessed you are!

If he had score against Italy (the second) in Bari we might have gone to the World Cup!

Big difference.

He missed successive open goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The begrudgery in this country is truly pathetic. Surely only here would you have bitters lambasting a chap who works his socks off every time he plays for his country. He has gone above and beyond for Ireland. I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

noodler wrote: »
    God, even more ridiculous than your last post.

"If striker X hadn't missed a chance then team Y would have won?" - Does that about sum up your argument?

...opinions are funny aren't they - I was thinking exactly the same about your posts.

... he was taken in on loan - as a striker to score goals - paid a king's ransom to just that: he scored two and missed a hatful - that's my point really...

• Advertisement

pjmn wrote: »
    ...opinions are funny aren't they - I was thinking exactly the same about your posts.

Great reply, outstanding counterpoint, 10/10...would certainly debate again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It usually takes foreign players a while to adjust to playing here with tight, physical defenses and also there is a ton of travel involved e.g. traveling coast to coast is not uncommon. He won't find it all that easy to score in MLS as some have suggested.

Also, I'm disgusted at some of the flak being spewed in here. Ireland's record goalscorer, one of only 30 or so players to score more than 50 for their country and it's still not enough for you. Typical Irish begrudging attitude.

Dont understand anyone disliking Robbie, typical Irish begrudgery.

He always comes across as a nice guy.

Why would he not want to live in L.A.

He will probably earn more money with tax incentives, lovely lifestyle and weather and English speaking.

New experience for his young family and he will probably enjoy the football more because it is a lower level so i would imagine it would be kind of like playing as a youth where he will be a level above and it will be less demanding on his body.

For a guy whose attitude stinks his record at club and international level speaks for itself. He has had a great career and will go down as an Irish great and the player of his generation despite the hatred some seem to have.

Such dickheads on this thread.

Good luck to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Statement from Robbie Keane prepared by the the Mr Alan 'Lets not look a gimp' PR company;
    I'm delighted to come here to the US to sign for LA Galaxy. Obviously with the high profile additions to the league over the last few years these are exciting times for soccer in the US & I'm delighted to be a part of that

I did that just now, while having one hand down my jocks, half watching the City game. I'm sure he couldve come up with something that didn't make him look a tit if he tried hard enough!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Statement from Robbie Keane prepared by the the Mr Alan 'Lets not look a gimp' PR company;

I did that just now, while having one hand down my jocks, half watching the City game. I'm sure he couldve come up with something that didn't make him look a tit if he tried hard enough!

Honestly, I'll hold my hand up here Alan - I don't know what you do for a living but when I got my job (and its fairly modest) I was delighted, I shook the hands of my employers and fairly beamed about always wanting a role like it.

I honestly can't see the issue in that statement when it is aimed at another country, another continent even of fans who may not know him or may be suspect of his motivations to play for them. He is being paid alot of money and telling your new fans and new owners you always wanted to play in the MLS (for whatever reason) really seems like alot of fuss about nothing for me.

I still think some people in this thread got the impression he was saying specifically that it was a dream to play for Galaxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's not a big deal Noodler, it's just funny & people are taking the piss out of him for it. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's like the equivelant of the time we've ALL had to lie!

"So MrStuffins, why do you want to work here"

{Don't say coz i'm broke, don't say coz i'm broke, don't say coz i'm broke..........}

"Well, I feel that Dunnes stores is a magnificent place to work. I feel the ethos of the company fits perfectly with my basic ideology and I when I was a child, when some of my friends dreamed of playing in The FA Cup Final and others dreamed of being astronauts and secret agents, it was always my dream to stock shelves at my local supermarket............ also, i'm f*cking smashed!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

So thats TWO egosticical big heads on the LA galaxy team

Becks & Keano what a pair they'll make hitting the tiles in Beverly Hills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

eugeneious wrote: »
    Good luck to him. Still could easily play in the prem and do well. Really don't understand people's lack of respect towards him and to say his attitude stinks is just lol.

he cant and thats leaving with him with no choice but to move to a team he always loved, the mighty la galaxy.

absolutely nothing to do with money this.

The begrudgery in this country is truly pathetic. Surely only here would you have bitters lambasting a chap who works his socks off every time he plays for his country. He has gone above and beyond for Ireland. I wish him well.

he is a cute hoor, and for that we all admire him..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Put yourself in his shoes.

You have 2-3 decent years max. After that nothing (most players don't make it into management). Your only other options for those 2-3 years are to stay at a club that doesn't want you or drop to Championship for that crunch game with Burnley. You are a big name again in LA and hanging with the Beckhams. You are one of the teams stars instead of hoping to get on for a few minutes. You can go home and tell your wife "we are moving to Hollywood" instead of "sorry love its Wigan". Its sunny. Your international manager watches videos instead of going to games so its OK there as well.

Tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Good move for Keano. He'll get regular football, a truck load of money and a nice lifestyle. Hard to know if it will even harm his international performances as he's hardly played for his club for the past few years.

Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mixednuts wrote: »
    I dont know what other people think but Robbie wont find it easy to hold a first team place.

The standard of the MLS is improving season after season .

Seriously?? Of course he will play if fit. If they choose him as one of their big 3 players of course they are planning to play him. Agree with you that the league is getting better but it is still rubbish.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Seriously?? Of course he will play if fit. If they choose him as one of their big 3 players of course they are planning to play him. Agree with you that the league is getting better but it is still rubbish.

considering becks is about 60 and a regular apparently, im sure robbie 'I frigging love la galaxy' will walk into that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭twilight_singer

He is a little weasel and nothing short of it. Disgusting selfish attitude on the pitch and nowhere near captain material. I guess a career of tap ins and raping the offside line will get you a retirement package in the sun. Good on ya Robbie, ya little dancer ya.

51 goals in 109 games for his country. Wise up ffs.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Best of luck to him, he'll have a great lifestyle and earn a packet over the next few years and will probably come back to the PL or other European leagues on loan in the US off season as well.

You would understand him wanting to get as far away from these parts as possible if the comments in here are any indication of your average Irish droolers' opinion of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

He is a little weasel and nothing short of it. Disgusting selfish attitude on the pitch and nowhere near captain material. I guess a career of tap ins and raping the offside line will get you a retirement package in the sun. Good on ya Robbie, ya little dancer ya.

I wish other Irish players, with more storied club careers, showed or had shown the same attitude to playing for Ireland as Robbie does.

keanos autobiography would be interesting.!

Leeds United " The best team I played with as a young lad"

Coventry " I loved Coventry, the second best team I was with back then"

Inter " my dream come true!"

Wolves " fantastic side!"

Spurs " Bright Lights, big city.. I always wanted to play for a big london side!"

Celtic " I am Irish and Celtic are my blood"

Liverpool " Everyone loves Liverpool, I am no exception"

West Ham " Forever Blowing bubbles, ...erm. i always had a soft spot for the hammers"

La Galaxy " The american dream... I am a made man now"

*note: due to the amazing array of teams, some may be ommited, and the order could be ar$eways

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

he cant and thats leaving with him with no choice but to move to a team he always loved, the mighty la galaxy.

absolutely nothing to do with money this.

As many journos have pointed out on twitter Robbie had Blackburn, Bolton and Everton all interested in him but turned them down because he wanted to live in LA. If he was starting week in week out in the PL he would score 10+ a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Leeds United " The best team I played with a young lad"

Fr Keane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Good move for Keano. He'll get regular football, a truck load of money and a nice lifestyle. Hard to know if it will even harm his international performances as he's hardly played for his club for the past few years.

Fair play to him.

cant help but feel that 14 hour flight to get home for matches could be a problem

I hope he enjoys it. To get the chance to live and travel around america in the last years of his career is amazing I think and if I was in his boots I would have jumped at the opportunity too

Paully D wrote: »
    Fr Keane?

FMP...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

hunter164 wrote: »
    “I am delighted, honored and very excited to be joining the LA Galaxy,” Keane said. “I have always wanted to come and play in MLS so it’s the perfect combination for me and a dream come true."

Fcuk sake.

I actually thought those quotes were another joke till I read the article!

• Advertisement

I hope he enjoys it. To get the chance to live and travel around america in the last years of his career is amazing I think and if I was in his boots I would have jumped at the opportunity too

he is a lucky ba$tard, no one could have so many misreable transfers and seemingly pull them all off with a nod of the head and move onto another million pound transfer, lol.

well in son.

look at poor fanny jeffers, he flopped after his first mega move to the arse. :rolleyes:

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I actually thought those quotes were another joke till I read the article!

dream come true, lol

really taking the piss now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

fryup wrote: »
    So thats TWO egosticical big heads on the LA galaxy team

Becks & Keano what a pair they'll make hitting the tiles in Beverly Hills

becks said that tom cruise was a wise man and a good friend after his move, so i wonder if robbie and the missus will be tagging along to some scientology meetings soon?!!

hope he enjoys himself out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

what a waste of talent he could of done a job at a load of premier league clubs the greedy bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

what a waste of talent he could of done a job at a load of premier league clubs the greedy bollox.
    None of them were offering anywhere near the money that LA Galaxy are. Easy decision to make for anyone really.

Good luck to Robbie, one of the very best players this country has ever had. He'll set all sorts of records over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

AgileMyth wrote: »
    None of them were offering anywhere near the money that LA Galaxy are. Easy decision to make for anyone really.

Good luck to Robbie, one of the very best players this country has ever had. He'll set all sorts of records over there.

Thats right I forgot its money first, football 2nd these days.

He wont get any respect for anything he does in that micky mouse league if we are all honest who.gives a flyin fook about the mls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thats right I forgot its money first, football 2nd these days.

He wont get any respect for anything he does in that micky mouse league if we are all honest who.gives a flyin fook about the mls.

He does. He's always wanted to play there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Well if Robbie Keane can play for the LA Galaxy and still play for Ireland, then why can't Kevin Kilbane play for Huddersfield and still get called up?

</sarcasm>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0815/1224302449729.html

Coincidence? I don't think so. Get me a Galaxy season ticket:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

doomed wrote: »

You have 2-3 decent years max. After that nothing (most players don't make it into management). Your only other options for those 2-3 years are to stay at a club that doesn't want you or drop to Championship for that crunch game with Burnley. You are a big name again in LA and hanging with the Beckhams. You are one of the teams stars instead of hoping to get on for a few minutes. You can go home and tell your wife "we are moving to Hollywood" instead of "sorry love its Wigan". Its sunny. Your international manager watches videos instead of going to games so its OK there as well.

Tough one.

Absolutely bang on! I wish Robbie the best and nevermind the begrudgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dickheads will be dickheads.... Some posters cant see the what he has done for irish football for the last decade.

Get real lads. get bloody real. If you were offered that sort of deal in a climate the emulated the cast of Entourage you would be all over it. Anyone that says any different is an out and out liar. I call shenanigans on you all.

And has for his comments, well yes id say that rubbish too at a press conference its called playing to the crowd. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

doomed wrote: »

Tough one.

Personally I'd have a hard time choosing between L.A. and Wigan as far as places I'd least like to live go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I would have chosen Wigan. in the premiership you will be playing against some of the best in the world. His form has been on a downward trajectory for years now and I think he should be dropped from Ireland. Doyle and Long up front all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Max Powers wrote: »
    I would have chosen Wigan. in the premiership you will be playing against some of the best in the world. His form has been on a downward trajectory for years now and I think he should be dropped from Ireland. Doyle and Long up front all the way.

Keane has done nothing in an Ireland shirt over the last 2 years that suggest he should be dropped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I doubt premier league clubs were queuing up to sign him

Oh like anyone would turn it down .. His only offer on table was leicester so fair play to the lad 31 and has worked hard enough to deserve the move. For what he has done for Ireland dont see how anyone can begrudge him though we are a country of begrudgers and seem to love to put down our players at every opportunity. Good luck to him right choice imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The amount of negative comments is a joke. He's the highest scoring player in the history of our country, and has worked his ass off for the country for over 10 years. What more can he offer? You may not like the guy, but don't spout bull**** about his record or his attitude. I'm no fan of the MLS, but at least it will be regular football rather then the bench.

I guess, in the end...
    9412874.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Incidently Great piece on gift grub this morning on it

http://media.todayfm.com/live_stream/popup

:)

The hatred towards Keane has always baffled me.

Slog it out in the championship or move to sunny California for big wages and a different challenge? Tough choice that was.

I'm sure if given the choice though, the keyboard warriors slagging him off would have picked Leicester over LA :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would rather he stayed in England but once he's playing regularly it's better than sitting on his hole. Still a big player for Ireland.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The hatred towards Keane has always baffled me.

Slog it out in the championship or move to sunny California for big wages and a different challenge? Tough choice that was.

I'm sure if given the choice though, the keyboard warriors slagging him off would have picked Leicester over LA :rolleyes:

He is at the wrong end of his career agewise. He had the option of banging in goals in sunshine with an excellent lifestyle or sit on the bench listening to Redknapp fing and blinding.... easy choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement