Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I've a friend from college that grew up with him and he always said that Robbie Keane was mad to move to America. Was fascinated with living there as young lad. Mate said a few years back that he wouldn't be surprised if he tried to play over there at some stage. So i imagine when he says it's a dream come true to play in the MLS that he's really talking about a dream come true as regards to getting to live in the US. LA is a shíthole. Would have tried elsewhere myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've a friend from college that grew up with him and he always said that Robbie Keane was mad to move to America. Was fascinated with living there as young lad. Mate said a few years back that he wouldn't be surprised if he tried to play over there at some stage. So i imagine when he says it's a dream come true to play in the MLS that he's really talking about a dream come true as regards to getting to live in the US. LA is a shíthole. Would have tried elsewhere myself.

It is an it isn't,
    I'm sure the Keane family will find a nice neighbourhood to live in while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Of course it's a dream come true for him! He gets to live in sunny LA while getting paid thousands of dollars a week to play football.

Lucky b@stard.

Exactly. If I was a top footballer this is 100% a move I'd want to be making. Talk about living the dream. Good luck to him.

It is an it isn't,
    I'm sure the Keane family will find a nice neighbourhood to live in while there.

Yeah there's some horrid neighbourhoods over there, but I doubt that's where Keane will be living.

There's also some very nice areas. Not just Beverly Hills, either. I can't think of many places I'd rather see when I open the curtains in the morning than Santa Monica beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd say the wife used the fannygate story as a way to convince Robbie to move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

baldbear wrote: »
    I'd say the wife used the fannygate story as a way to convince Robbie to move!

Fannygate? Go on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Always cracks me up when people doubt Keane in an Ireland shirt. He's been the best servant this country has ever had and always gives everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,398 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Isn't this what he actually said anyway - that he always wanted to play in the MLS (not specifically LA) and that it was a dream come true?

For the record, he also wouldn't be the first or last Irish lad to say he supported both Liverpool and Celtic as a lad, so I never understood the hatred he got for the boyhood comments on the two of them.

Perfectly capable for a person to have more than 1 dream - Robbie, seemingly, has had a crack at 3 of them. Good for him, i'm supremely jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Always cracks me up when people doubt Keane in an Ireland shirt. He's been the best servant this country has ever had and always gives everything.
    We are a nation of begrudgers. Robbie is the greatest Irish player of all time in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

We are a nation of begrudgers. Robbie is the greatest Irish player of all time in my book.

Top scorer, yes. Greatest Irish player, IMO, no. But that's for another thread/can of worms. McGrath, Roy Keane, Brady would all feature ahead of him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Now im with yeh on the point were a nation of begrudgers and i do hate the way people always harp on about how Keanes crap, utter tripe. Best of luck I say at least there hell be getting regualr game time which can only be a good thing for Ireland.

But best Irish player of all time:confused: He'd make the best 11 I think yeh but best ever no way. For me that would have to be Paul Mc Grath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eugeneious wrote: »
    As many journos have pointed out on twitter Robbie had Blackburn, Bolton and Everton all interested in him but turned them down because he wanted to live in LA. If he was starting week in week out in the PL he would score 10+ a season.

What utter tosh!

How can he have turned them down if they haven't made a bid yet?

No bids have been made for him - they might have chnaged as the window approaches the close but we are not going to start listing bull**** media "sources" in an effort to call him greedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

gustavo wrote: »
    Keane has done nothing in an Ireland shirt over the last 2 years that suggest he should be dropped

I think his form has been poor over the last few years, Harry Recknapp thinks the same also. Im not a Keane hater,hes been a good Ireland servant. I just think his finishing hasnt been there last few years, a lot of huffing and puffing around the field with no benefit. If he was interested in playing ball at a proper level, he should have dropped his wage demands and a team would have taken him on, no doubt. He is young enough to have another few years at a low to mid level team in the prem. I also feel that (as far as top scorer) he hasnt been as good as a striker as the likes of Aldo who didnt have the benefit of playing a lot of the very poor defences that were in the groups over the last few years (macedonia, faroes, san marino etc). Move to LA when your retired, thats what i say.

Afterall that criticisim, I hope he does well over there, good luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

Keane says he's off the LA to score lots of goals.

He neglected to say that he's also off to arms-in-the-air gesticulate with the ref, let the ball run through his legs when it would have been better to control and lay off, and fail at one-on-ones with opposing keepers.

I'm being a bit harsh. I do resent more though his comportment on the pitch than his level of ability.

On a serious note, he never should have been made captain and him moving to a weak league is the perfect opportunity for Trappatoni to give the honour to someone who deserves it.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think his form has been poor over the last few years, Harry Recknapp thinks the same also.

Outstanding attempt at subterfuge! We were talking at national level and nice try at getting Harry Redknapp on your side there - I highly doubt he thinks Keane's international form has been poor.
    Im not a Keane hater,hes been a good Ireland servant. I just think his finishing hasnt been there last few years, a lot of huffing and puffing around the field with no benefit. If he was interested in playing ball at a proper level, he should have dropped his wage demands and a team would have taken him on, no doubt. He is young enough to have another few years at a low to mid level team in the prem. I also feel that (as far as top scorer) he hasnt been as good as a striker as the likes of Aldo who didnt have the benefit of playing a lot of the very poor defences that were in the groups over the last few years (macedonia, faroes, san marino etc). Move to LA when your retired, thats what i say.

Afterall that criticisim, I hope he does well over there, good luck to him.

hahhahahahahahaha

WC Qualifiers:

V Cyprus (H) Keane scored winnner
    V Italy (A) Keane scored equaliser
    V Georgia (H) Keane scored both goals (2)
    V Cyprus (A) Keane Scored winner
    V France (A) Keane Scored equaliser

Euros (so far)

V Russia (H) Peno in the defeat
    V Andorra (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (A) Keane scored 2

• Advertisement

kmoon wrote: »

On a serious note, he never should have been made captain a.

Are you for real?

Have you checked out his goalscoring form for us in this campaign and the last? i.e. since Trap came in?

Banging my head against the desk here with the utter ignorance in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Isn't this what he actually said anyway - that he always wanted to play in the MLS (not specifically LA) and that it was a dream come true?

For the record, he also wouldn't be the first or last Irish lad to say he supported both Liverpool and Celtic as a lad, so I never understood the hatred he got for the boyhood comments on the two of them.

Perfectly capable for a person to have more than 1 dream - Robbie, seemingly, has had a crack at 3 of them. Good for him, i'm supremely jealous!

Hold on there, you can only have one dream if yer Irish. Your only a cúnt if ya think you can have more than that! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

AgileMyth wrote: »
    None of them were offering anywhere near the money that LA Galaxy are. Easy decision to make for anyone really.

Good luck to Robbie, one of the very best players this country has ever had. He'll set all sorts of records over there.

damn right they are not offering him the money, I would tell him take a hike too if I was gaffer at a top club and robbies goes looking for a small fortune in wages.

LA galaxy obviously have more money than sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Corholio wrote: »
    Top scorer, yes. Greatest Irish player, IMO, no. But that's for another thread/can of worms. McGrath, Roy Keane, Brady would all feature ahead of him I think.
    Oh please let's not get started about Roy Keane.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I doubt premier league clubs were queuing up to sign him

Everton would have taken a pip at him but for his 100,000 a week demands.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think his form has been poor over the last few years, Harry Recknapp thinks the same also.

Rubbish. His international form over the last few years has been consistantly strong. Keane never, ever lets down the Ireland jersey.

Don't really care how t'riffic the old wheeler dealer thinks he is or isn't.

damn right they are not offering him the money, I would tell him take a hike too if I was gaffer at a top club and robbies goes looking for a small fortune in wages.

LA galaxy obviously have more money than sense.
    Everton would have taken a pip at him but for his 100,000 a week demands.:rolleyes:

You are starting (continuing) to post utter nonsense with little or no evidence.

1) Galaxy paid 3.5m pounds for him
    2) We have no idea what his wages are but you are a bit naive if you think they haven't factored in merchandise sales and other media related bonuses as a result of signing the player
    3) Prove Everton made a bid
    4) I heard he was on 65,000 pounds a week - where are you getting 100,000 from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yes he is possibly the most frustrating player to watch in a green jersey but at the same time he's the only player we have who has that rare ability to be in the perfect place at the right time. His international goal tally will possibly never be matched. We're not a team to smash the smaller nations with stupid score lines so any goal is important and Robbie Keane is the main man to sneak that goal.

Going to LA is better than what he's done for the last year. Playing regular soccer and hopefully scoring goals will do wonders for his confidence and sharpness. The only downside will be the travelling but I imagine business class on a 747 isn't exactly hell on earth.

Fair play Robbie, hope it all works out.

The posts are getting better and better.

Thread of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone know what's the best way of watching Galaxy matches?....after 14 years of seeing Robbie try an overhead kick in every game I would hate to miss it if he actually pulled it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you got that in writing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Ego Has Landed sums it all up nicely for me.

As someone who is not Irish, I find the stick that a lot of people over here give him to be almost laughable.

You guys won't know what you've got til it's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

dooferoaks wrote: »

Well I think the credit he is going to get from some quarters after that piece of writing will do Mr McDonnell's ego no harm at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah there's some horrid neighbourhoods over there, but I doubt that's where Keane will be living.

There's also some very nice areas. Not just Beverly Hills, either. I can't think of many places I'd rather see when I open the curtains in the morning than Santa Monica beach.

OT, but if I could choose to live anywhere in the world it would be Santa Monica. Was there for the first time this year fell in love with the place.

If anyone has ever been there, I don't see how they could begrudge the guy this move at this stage in his career. Good on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Taken from that article:
    "Since the LA Galaxy link emerged, amateur comedians have been making the same, tired joke that Keane would come out and say that the Californians were his boyhood club, similar to statements he uttered upon joining Liverpool and Celtic."

The journo must've been reading this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I must say I'm surprised at the level of knowledge of people at this thread. People seem to know exactly what clubs Keane was offered to and exactly how much he demanded in wages. Impressive work all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

noodler wrote: »
    Outstanding attempt at subterfuge! We were talking at national level and nice try at getting Harry Redknapp on your side there - I highly doubt he thinks Keane's international form has been poor.

hahhahahahahahaha

WC Qualifiers:

V Cyprus (H) Keane scored winnner
    V Italy (A) Keane scored equaliser
    V Georgia (H) Keane scored both goals (2)
    V Cyprus (A) Keane Scored winner
    V France (A) Keane Scored equaliser

Euros (so far)

V Russia (H) Peno in the defeat
    V Andorra (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (H) Keane scored 1
    V Macedonia (A) Keane scored 2

Im aware he has scored goals, I stand by that his form has been poor, I dont have any stats to show you his chances to scored records over the last few years, all I know is from watching him. I feel Long or Doyle would have scored more had they been playing as much as Keane in lead striker role.

As for 'Arry' over in Spurs, you cant deny, he must think his form has dipped in last few years. In my opinion this added to Keane didnt look as sharp for Ireland consequently.

If we dont qualify, id say he will hang up the Green jersey anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm moving to LA in a few weeks and will certainly be popping along to watch him anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ha you actually take your sports knowledge from the Indo sports department.....

Whats more laughable is you read that rubbish he writes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm moving to LA in a few weeks and will certainly be popping along to watch him anyway :)

Probably best to try catch a Lakers game, no doubt he will be hanging out courtside with Becks, Snoop, and Tom Cruise, running around in circles waving his hands in the air every time a decision goes against them.

noodler wrote: »
    You are starting (continuing) to post utter nonsense with little or no evidence.

1) Galaxy paid 3.5m pounds for him
    2) We have no idea what his wages are but you are a bit naive if you think they haven't factored in merchandise sales and other media related bonuses as a result of signing the player
    3) Prove Everton made a bid
    4) I heard he was on 65,000 pounds a week - where are you getting 100,000 from?

my 100,000 figure was obv being sarcastic..

clearly Keane is a money man, he could have stayed and played for any number of teams in the uk which would be a much higher calibre than the MLS.

its atrocious league....

but whatever floats his boat, cant see him getting back into the grand scheme of things with the Irish team much more now.

His wage demands were just absurd, no other word to describe it.

this is a player who largely sat on the bench for all his time at Pool and Spurs ffs.

Every team in britain from Woking to Man United knew what he was getting as a bench warmer so many teams did not even entertain to call his agent as they knew it would be pointless.

They clearly had no intention of meeting his demands.

He has done well for Ireland, I never said otherwise, but he clearly thinks he is too good for his own boots at club level.

Galaxy as I said, more money than sense so of course robbie would jump to it, he loves the MLS!

but if it was chivas usa with a similar bid of course he would go there too.

Its not rocket science.

and at the end of the day keane is back at his boyhood tea.. oh wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

CSF wrote: »
    Long and Doyle the new Irish strikeforce then.

Given that Robbie Keane has scored nearly all our goals in the last two qualification campaigns, I think that's unlikely.

what were his wage demands then?

You seem to know (x in city)

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Have you got that in writing ?

no, but being an Evertonian for longer than I care to remember I am pretty sure Moyes would have thought about Keane more than once

1: while he was at Pool and sitting on the bench

2: while he was at Spurs on the bench

he clearly had something to offer but Moyes had absolutely no notion of paying his wage, I think arteta is our highest earner, about 60/70k a week.

paying that to somone who could not even get a game week in week out is a non runner, also he would be not guranteed games.. (nothing new to him but still).

Moyes would have looked at the usual loan route for Keane and/or play as you earn.

but that was not going anywhere was it.

god damn

when is his first game.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Im aware he has scored goals, I stand by that his form has been poor, I dont have any stats to show you his chances to scored records over the last few years, all I know is from watching him. I feel Long or Doyle would have scored more had they been playing as much as Keane in lead striker role.

As for 'Arry' over in Spurs, you cant deny, he must think his form has dipped in last few years. In my opinion this added to Keane didnt look as sharp for Ireland consequently.

If we dont qualify, id say he will hang up the Green jersey anyway.

But Ireland create very few chances. So the fact Keane has scored so many goals is amazing really. Kevin Doyle is a great player but he hasn't scored the important goals for Ireland. Admittedly, Keane has struggled in the premiership but against the weaker defences we come up against in International Football, he seems like the only one who can be in the right place to take advantage of that. He also scored crucial goals against Italy and France. In the last 16 Ireland qualifiers, he has scored 11 of Ireland's 22 goals, most of them crucial equalisers or winners. We really can't expect any more of him and quite simply, we depend on him for goals. Even if it seems he does little else for 90 minutes. He is an Ireland legend and as far as the National Team is concerned, he is in the form of his life.

There is a worry that travelling the long distances from LA could be a problem in the future though.

Also, "I've always wanted to play in the MLS" is a rediculous quote.

If we dont quali fy, id say he will hang up the Green jersey anyway.

You are terrible at this - the stats prove you wrong when it comes to Ireland as you readily admit. Particularly since Trap took over

clearly Keane is a money man, he could have stayed and played for any number of teams in the uk which would be a much higher calibre than the MLS.

its atrocious league....

but whatever floats his boat, cant see him getting back into the grand scheme of things with the Irish team much more now.

His wage demands were just absurd, no other word to describe it.

this is a player who largely sat on the bench for all his time at Pool and Spurs ffs.

Every team in britain from Woking to Man United knew what he was getting as a bench warmer so many teams did not even entertain to call his agent as they knew it would be pointless.

They clearly had no intention of meeting his demands.

He has done well for Ireland, I never said otherwise, but he clearly thinks he is too good for his own boots at club level.

Galaxy as I said, more money than sense so of course robbie would jump to it, he loves the MLS!

but if it was chivas usa with a similar bid of course he would go there too.

Its not rocket science.

and at the end of the day keane is back at his boyhood tea.. oh wait

Lots and lots of makey-up "Fachts"

most of my make up fhacts would be right tho..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I don't see any problem with Keane going to LA. He's a professional player, play where ever the hell he likes.

Slightly worried about the flight time home for international games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

its atrocious league....

You would choose to live in the UK and play for Leicester City or some other Championship team over moving to Los Angeles, living in the sun and earning a shedload of cash at 31 years old?

It's a no brainer! Who the f**k would want to play in the second tier of English football over LA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Im sure he loved Galaxy as a child... smooth textured chocolate and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Every time Robbie moves to a new club its his 'dream come true'
    think thats wearing a bit thin now
    ca-ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Good Luck to him, as already said the chance to go and play/live in the US on decent money would appeal to me and a lot more I'm sure.

I wouldn't be his biggest fan but it's hard to argue with his record for clubs or country, he gets goals when he plays and if the move to Liverpool hadn't been such a disaster(no fault of Robbie) then who knows how his career could've panned out.

He's still Ireland's main goal threat and our hopes of qualifing for the Euro's rest a lot on him continuing to produce the goods. Hopefully the flights back from the US for out games won't affect him too much and sure he'll be back in the Prem in loan in about 4 months.

he wont be back in the prem any time soon.

unless he drops his kings ransom demands.

and he is more at npower level now and not prem..

• Advertisement
Advertisement