Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I hope if he ever ventures out in L.A. without a guide he'll know where he is going. I wouldn't fancy him accidentally wandering into Compton at any time. (Even though he is from Tallaght, I still don't think he'd handle himself :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

noodler wrote: »
    You are terrible at this - the stats prove you wrong when it comes to Ireland as you readily admit. Particularly since Trap took over

Lots and lots of makey-up "Fachts"

I wouldnt be so cocky Noodler, as said before; Keane has scored goals yes, we all can see that, however, Long and Doyle would I feel have done better if they were in the lead striker role the last few years. As i said in my last post, I dont have 'chances to scored stats', im sure they would make interesting reading if making a comparison to 2-3+ years ago. Keane has not been the sharp keane of years ago, numerous games I have watched him last few years that split second off the pace, trying to force it, etc.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

When's his first game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Probably best to try catch a Lakers game, no doubt he will be hanging out courtside with Becks, Snoop, and Tom Cruise, running around in circles waving his hands in the air every time a decision goes against them.

Season is finished for a few months now and there's a lockout so not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

he wont be back in the prem any time soon.

unless he drops his kings ransom demands.

and he is more at npower level now and not prem..

Couldn't give a flying **** what level of English football morons like you think he is at as long as he keeps scoring for us which he has done for 13 years so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RoryMac wrote: »

I wouldn't be his biggest fan but it's hard to argue with his record for clubs or country, he gets goals when he plays and if the move to Liverpool hadn't been such a disaster(no fault of Robbie) then who knows how his career could've panned out.

no fault of Robbie:rolleyes:

well had he put the ball in the net it wouldn't.......he didn't make the grade simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Max Powers wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so cocky Noodler, as said before; Keane has scored goals yes, we all can see that, however, Long and Doyle would I feel have done better if they were in the lead striker role the last few years. As i said in my last post, I dont have 'chances to scored stats', im sure they would make interesting reading if making a comparison to 2-3+ years ago. Keane has not been the sharp keane of years ago, numerous games I have watched him last few years that split second off the pace, trying to force it, etc.

You saying silly, silly things and not having the facts to back them up is one thing - but just because I tear your arugment to shreds doesn't mean I am cocky - it means you are ill-informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

gustavo wrote: »
    Couldn't give a flying **** what level of English football morons like you think he is at as long as he keeps scoring for us which he has done for 13 years so far.

his demise will be rapid now... in a true D4 accent.

Even if he scores some tap in's for Ireland again he has no hope of producing the goods against big teams in finals.

He is so over rated here its amazing.

Even if he scores some tap in's for Ireland again he has no hope of producing the goods against big teams in finals.

There is no overrating here.

You simply fail to recognise his (increased) importance to the national side since Trap took over.

It makes your posts look rather ignorant, nevermind badly written and poorly formatted.

The axe you grind is apparent to all.

You saying silly, silly things and not having the facts to back them up is one thing - but just because I tear your arugment to shreds doesn't mean I am cocky - it means you are ill-informed.

Dissmissing responses and calling arguments 'silly silly' is quite the cocky rebuttle. I dont have the chances to goals stats, naming a few goals keane has scored in last couple of years is not giving the full side of the story. I find it hard that you cannot recognise that Keane's form has been off.

• Advertisement

[Embedded Image Removed][Embedded Image Removed]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

fryup wrote: »

well had he put the ball in the net it wouldn't.......he didn't make the grade simple as

And the fact his manager didn't want him there in the first place and didn't trust him at all had nothing to do with that, right?

Dissmissing responses and calling arguments 'silly silly' is quite the cocky rebuttle. I dont have the chances to goals stats, naming a few goals keane has scored in last couple of years is not giving the full side of the story. I find it hard that you cannot recognise that Keane's form has been off.

No, we are talking about Ireland here and some rather ridiculous comments that he shouldn't have been first choice strriker.

Since Trap took over: Ireland's competitive goals have been scored in the following proportions:

Robbie Keane: 47.8%

Other Players: 52.2%

i.e. We scored 23 and he got 11 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

How is he over rated? Ive listened to arguments like this from my own friends for years, its shocking the man can be such a loyal servant to his country, and unlike most always willing to show up for every game hes called upon no hesitation. He always give 110% when he plays chases everything. Completely and utterly smashed Irelands goal scoring record. Give credit were credit is due.

Maybe he mghtnt be in his prime anymore but hes not over the hill yet, hes still scoring plenty of goals for Ireland. So for all those people harping on about how he should be dropped come back to me when hes stopped delivering the goods. We should always get behind our own instead of being begrudging fcukers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Over-rated or not his record for Ireland stacks up, and he will continue to be a vital part of the international setup for a while yet. He'll score goals in the US and that's good for any striker's confidence.

And the fact his manager didn't want him there in the first place and didn't trust him at all had nothing to do with that, right?

You're quite right. It was clear Benitez didn't want him from the very start, and never gave him much of a chance. Benitez treated him shoddily imo, though it doesn't surprise me as I've always thought Benitez to be a very unlikeable character and I really don't get that the Liverpool fans seem to think he's some sort of messiah. The man in charge now is far superior in every way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

When's his first game?

They are playing at home against San Jose on Sunday morning 03:30am our time.

Bruce Arena and a couple of the L.A Galaxy players opinions on signing Keano.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

fryup wrote: »

He found the net 7 times for Liverpool. He certainly didn't set the world on fire after he arrived, but had he been allowed settle in and finished the season there he would probably have ended up with at least 15 goals, which wouldn't have been a bad return for a new striker.

What I'm saying I guess is that no striker (not just Keane) can alone be judged on their initial 6 months in a club.

I wouldn't agree with this. Robbie has developed as a player as much as he is going to. He has played at the highest level for a long time. Moving to the US as opposed to staying in the Prem won't affect him too much. Confidence seems to be the main factor in a strikers play, so if anything that will be better as he will be playing games and (hopefully) scoring goals.

Another thing that people seem to have missed is that it will be Robbies body that eventually mean he will not be able to do the job anymore for Ireland. Playing and training in the heat of LA as opposed to the cold of England might make him less prone to muscle injuries, which are the kind of things that usually finish off strikers over the age of 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bohsfan wrote: »
    He found the net 7 times for Liverpool. He certainly didn't set the world on fire after he arrived, but had he been allowed settle in and finished the season there he would probably have ended up with at least 15 goals, which wouldn't have been a bad return for a new striker.

What I'm saying I guess is that no striker (not just Keane) can alone be judged on their initial 6 months in a club.

Liverpool finished that season pretty well without him!

He'd have been a good back up striker definitely but the exorbitant price paid and money drying up at Liverpool shortly after he signed (don't think we ever got to spend that money), never made that a realistic option.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

K-9 wrote: »

He'd have been a good back up striker definitely but the exorbitant price paid and money drying up at Liverpool shortly after he signed (don't think we ever got to spend that money), never made that a realistic option.

I'm not saying they didn't! For me, the move in the first place made no sense for anyone really. I'm just saying that his record there probably wouldn't be judged as harshly if he had gone on and finished the season. But sure- who knows!

K-9 wrote: »

Yeah, to be honest with Torres missing a fair few of the games in the second half of that season we really could have used a non-N'Gog striker though.

No, we are talking about Ireland here and some rather ridiculous comments that he shouldn't have been first choice strriker.

Since Trap took over: Ireland's competitive goals have been scored in the following proportions:

Robbie Keane: 48.8%

Other Players: 52.2%

i.e. We scored 23 and he got 11 of them.

Why increased font and more dimmissive cockiness? I feel if Doyle/Long had been lead striker for last couple years, his strike rate would be as impressive if not more. Can you get the 'goals to chances/shots stats'? At the end of the day, if football managers in the Prem, France or Germany thought Keane was not on the slide, surely he would be playing in one of Europe's top leagues instead of the MLS. I think that is a damming indictment from those who matter/know most.

I feel if Doyle/Long had been lead striker for last couple years, his strike rate would be as impressive if not more. .

Better luck next time.

You made some ridiculous statements, when the facts were shown to you - you began to argue for some pathetic hypthetical scenario.

Better luck next time.

You made some ridiculous statements, when the facts were shown to you - you began to argue for some pathetic hypthetical scenario.

Rehashing the same stats and using the word ridiculous in most of your posts shows how narrow the arguement presented by yourself was and did not give the whole story with Keane evidenced by him seeing out his career in the MLS. No team was willing to fork out small enough money for a striker whos form has been slipping for last couple years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No team was willing to fork out small enough money for a striker whos form has been slipping for last couple years.

The transfer fee wasn't the problem. Any team in the Premier League could throw out £3.5m on a player, it's pittance these days. The problem was his wage. None of the top 6 teams would want him as they all have better, Villa have Darren Bent and play with 1 out and out striker so don't need him, Everton barely have enough money to pay the electricity bill at the end of the month never mind his weekly wage. The rest of the teams in the league such as the Sunderland's, Newcastle's etc aren't going to spend £60,000 + a week on him, which isn't small enough money.

He's a very good striker who's wage demands put off potential suitors in the Premier League. I dare say he'd have stayed in the Premier League if he was wanting nearer to £30,000 than £60,000 a week.

He's now making even more money for playing in LA and will have a great lifestyle over there. I don't see the problem myself.

Since he made his debut in the Premier League only two others players have scored more goals. He's proved his credentials time and time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I feel if Doyle/Long had been lead striker for last couple years, his strike rate would be as impressive if not more.
    Do you even watch Ireland play under Trap? We don't have the concept of a lead/second striker. Sometimes Keane drops deep, sometimes Doyle drops deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can those who say his wage demands were too high provide quotes from managers who say they would have liked to have signed him but the wage demands were too high ? Would be interesting to see if these actually exist.

Rehashing the same stats and using the word ridiculous in most of your posts shows how narrow the arguement presented by yourself was and did not give the whole story with Keane evidenced by him seeing out his career in the MLS. No team was willing to fork out small enough money for a striker whos form has been slipping for last couple years.

Rehashing the same stats? You mean the ones that show Keane scored half of our competitive goals since Trap came in?

They are pretty important stats if somebody is going to argue Keane should not have been upfront, no matter how impressive his goal tally, because
    I feel if Doyle/Long had been lead striker for last couple years, his strike rate would be as impressive if not more.

If my auntie had balls etc

Keane's international form and importance to Ireland has improved/increased since Trap took over. Any arguments that he should not have played first choice under than Italian are way off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

At the end of the day, if football managers in the Prem, France or Germany thought Keane was not on the slide, surely he would be playing in one of Europe's top leagues instead of the MLS. I think that is a damming indictment from those who matter/know most.

Spot on. Any manager worth his salt can see that Keane is spent goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Spot on. Any manager worth his salt can see that Keane is spent goods.

Like a 'former model' if you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It's pretty astonishing that anyone would seriously consider Shane Long a better option than Robbie Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

For all the waffle about how much worse the MLS is than the 'mighty' EPL, Landon Donovan didnt look out of place in the EPL despite him trying to regain match fitness on loan at Everton. David Beckham didnt look out of place in Serie A either when he went out on loan. So this idea that he'll get worse because he's playing in the MLS is pretty much bull by begrudgers with an agenda.

Also, have to snigger at those trying to detract from his efforts for Ireland and spend pages and pages trying to make it out to be everything and anything but begrudgery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dempsey wrote: »
    For all the waffle about how much worse the MLS is than the 'mighty' EPL, Landon Donovan didnt look out of place in the EPL despite him trying to regain match fitness on loan at Everton. David Beckham didnt look out of place in Serie A either when he went out on loan. So this idea that he'll get worse because he's playing in the MLS is pretty much bull by begrudgers with an agenda.

Also, have to snigger at those trying to detract from his efforts for Ireland and spend pages and pages trying to make it out to be everything and anything but begrudgery!

How good is the average defence in MLS?

There is no overrating here.

You simply fail to recognise his (increased) importance to the national side since Trap took over.

It makes your posts look rather ignorant, nevermind badly written and poorly formatted.

The axe you grind is apparent to all.

lets do a poll so

Keano

1/ the dogs b0llox and all that

2/ spent goods

3/ best bench warmer in the british isles

4/ $$$$$$$

5/ LAtari jaguar

let the public decide.

How is he over rated? Ive listened to arguments like this from my own friends for years, its shocking the man can be such a loyal servant to his country, and unlike most always willing to show up for every game hes called upon no hesitation. He always give 110% when he plays chases everything. Completely and utterly smashed Irelands goal scoring record. Give credit were credit is due.

Maybe he mghtnt be in his prime anymore but hes not over the hill yet, hes still scoring plenty of goals for Ireland. So for all those people harping on about how he should be dropped come back to me when hes stopped delivering the goods. We should always get behind our own instead of being begrudging fcukers.

he has largely sat on a bench for 2 season in the EPL.

His performances for Ireland have been good but he is by no means a player to dictate games. I dont think he is much of a team players, he makes too many poor passes, too many misses.

people here seem to have orgasams over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dempsey wrote: »

Just because the 2 best players in the entire league didn't look out of place in EPL and Serie A, doesn't make the league of equal quality.

Vidic would slot into the Spain defence beside Pique, doesn't mean Serbia are winning the Wold Cup now does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

gustavo wrote: »
    Can those who say his wage demands were too high provide quotes from managers who say they would have liked to have signed him but the wage demands were too high ? Would be interesting to see if these actually exist.

no, but the global R word and general lack of money

(unless you are into the oil business), makes is pretty easy to work out the math

no team will pay Mr Keane 60k a week or whatever he earns for spurs. He has played f**k all football for years week in week out to justify that.

as a goalscoring sub, I would value him at about 25k a week MAX...;)

markc91 wrote: »

lol

"Robbie Keane - The Only Player to Play for all 8 of his Childhood Teams"

poor robbie, this is popcorn material.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Fair play to Robbie. He's provided Irish fans with great moments over the years in spite of whatever situation he found himself in at his clubs. I hope he continues to play for Ireland for another couple of years anyway.

I find it strange that many Irish fans are critical of his move to the USA, citing that standard of the league as reason enough to drop him from the Irish squad. Firstly, we're Ireland, not Spain, Italy, France or Germany. We've never had the luxury of only choosing players from the top leagues in the world.

Secondly he hasn't been getting his game in England for a long time. It begs the question, would you rather him to be sitting on the sideline for a great club, or playing regular football for an average one.

Lastly the MLS is not as bad as people like to make out. It has a small but passionate fan base and the level of fitness required to play in the league is very high. The Americans may not be the best technically gifted footballers, but they are fit and have great stamina and determination as witnessed in the last world cup.

The only issue I can see with Robbie's move is the distance. However, travelling first class from LA to Europe isn't really that tough. Although, I don't think it'll be an issue he'll have to deal with for much longer as I think he'll retire from International football after the 2012's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Fair play to Robbie. He's provided Irish fans with great moments over the years in spite of whatever situation he found himself in at his clubs. I hope he continues to play for Ireland for another couple of years anyway.

I find it strange that many Irish fans are critical of his move to the USA, citing that standard of the league as reason enough to drop him from the Irish squad. Firstly, we're Ireland, not Spain, Italy, France or Germany. We've never had the luxury of only choosing players from the top leagues in the world.

Secondly he hasn't been getting his game in England for a long time. It begs the question, would you rather him to be sitting on the sideline for a great club, or playing regular football for an average one.

Lastly the MLS is not as bad as people like to make out. It has a small but passionate fan base and the level of fitness required to play in the league is very high. The Americans may not be the best technically gifted footballers, but they are fit and have great stamina and determination as witnessed in the last world cup.

The only issue I can see with Robbie's move is the distance. However, travelling first class from LA to Europe isn't really that tough. Although, I don't think it'll be an issue he'll have to deal with for much longer as I think he'll retire from International football after the 2012's.
    Good post. Fully agree about him being better off playing that sitting on the bench. Playing alongide Donovan won't do him any harm either.

I think it will work out great for him and I too hope he continues to play for Ireland. The standard in the MLS has improved a lot in recent years and I don't think his game will suffer from playing over there. Only thing is that with Shane Long making a big impact on debut for West Brom he might see himself pushed down the pecking order. Still an all-time Irish great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

dsmythy wrote: »
    How good is the average defence in MLS?

Good enough to test him
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just because the 2 best players in the entire league didn't look out of place in EPL and Serie A, doesn't make the league of equal quality.

Vidic would slot into the Spain defence beside Pique, doesn't mean Serbia are winning the Wold Cup now does it?

Did I say that it did? You could try re-reading my post because you have obviously not read it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

MrStuffins wrote: »

Let's not lose the run of ourselves now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's pretty astonishing that anyone would seriously consider Shane Long a better option than Robbie Keane.

not really your going by keano's past, at present and even going by last season long has performed better than keano fact.

its true you dont become a bad player over night but in robbie's case its been what 2 years+ since he done anything of note on the club scene.

i wouldn't class the opposition ireland play against most of the time world class or even decent, the fact that he's been a bench warmer for the past couple of seasons in the EPL maybe suggests he's over the hill.

i think money talks and there's no way it was really a dream of his to play in a poor league, he just wants to sit back and count the ching ching if you ask me and live the life in LA.

but imo any hungry footballer trying to show he has still got it wouldnt have moved to america, again money talks as if he isn't rich enough already:rolleyes:.

i wouldn't class the opposition ireland play against most of the time world class or even decent, the fact that he's been a bench warmer for the past couple of seasons in the EPL maybe suggests he's over the hill.

I think you are underestimating the opponents we played since Trap took over. Goals against Italy and France were obviously important but if you don't value his goals against the likes of Cyprus and Macedonia then it begs the question why his teammates weren't taking advantage of the 'not even decent' teams we were playing.

Keane's really getting it in the ear now when people start saying the only reason he scored 50% of our competitive goals under Trap because the opposition was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think you are underestimating the opponents we played since Trap took over. Goals against Italy and France were obviously important but if you don't value his goals against the likes of Cyprus and Macedonia then it begs the question why his teammates weren't taking advantage of the 'not even decent' teams we were playing.

Keane's really getting it in the ear now when people start saying the only reason he scored 50% of our competitive goals under Trap because the opposition was poor.

It's always the same though isn't it? The old myth that Keane doesn't do it against good opposition, only scores his goals against poor sides. However, if you actually look at his strikerate in competitive games and the sides he has scored against, you realise that he has been an immense player for us, and has hit a great patch of form under Trapp.

People don't want to, or are incapable of doing that though. They are ultimately wrong, and he will continue to do his talking on the pitch in an Irish jersey so who cares what they think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe he'll finish his career where he started.....Tallaght > shamrock rovers

although i don't think Claudine would be seen dead in the Square with the shiney tracksuit brigade :cool:

another of his boyhood teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

"Keano Robbie Keane" :) arrives in LA

Advertisement