Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Keane should have buried that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Winner winner chicken dinner.

fair play to robbie on pulling claudine also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Robbie Keane - Man of the match. Good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Winner winner chicken dinner.

fair play to robbie on having enough money to pull claudine also.

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meglamonia wrote: »
    I'm delighted for Robbie all the sh!t he gets from our own national fans keyboard warriors who think they know it all is a disgrace they'll know in 5 years time how much they miss him!

Love the guy! :D

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Even though im on the unders its good to see our captain get off the mark. Its a pity the premier league clubs didnt take him. Was it a problem with wages?

awjeeznotthi128525386213130000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Anyone remember the days when american soccer commentry used to be really really bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thought we'd seen the last of that poxy celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Good goal, well taken. He would look stupid (on his debut) if it didn't work out.

Keeper was funny enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great stuff. Hopefully he can keep playing well and be a bit sharper for the Slovakia game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rubbish goal. Defence was rubbish, defender should have cleared that easily, instead he was just flailing his leg at the ball and it sailed right past. Keane should have never even had the chance to touch the ball that time. I wonder how he played during the rest of the match though...

• Advertisement

thorbarry wrote: »
    Fair play to him, good goal

yes, keano should have brough barrys tea over to give the keeper while he was all at sea.

the standard in the MLS is piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Rubbish goal. Defence was rubbish, defender should have cleared that easily, instead he was just flailing his leg at the ball and it sailed right past. Keane should have never even had the chance to touch the ball that time. I wonder how he played during the rest of the match though...

You've still got to make the run and finish it, doesnt make a difference if it was "rubbish" or not in your opinion, he has scored like he has done throughout his career. Clearly he has seen the keeper is all over the place and has taken advantage of this, it's clearly clever attacking play.

How many players can make a run like that and finish it? The hardest thing in soccer is getting the ball into the net and Robbie is an expert at it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

daddydick wrote: »
    How many players can make a run like that and finish it? The hardest thing in soccer is getting the ball into the net and Robbie is an expert at it

It's not so hard when he's up against a flailing goalkeeper who doesn't know what to do either.

It's not so hard when he's up against a flailing goalkeeper who doesn't know what to do either.

I suppose it's not too difficult to score 51 International Goals either?

Fact of the matter is he was the only player that was one-on-one with the keeper at that point in time and he tucked it away, respect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thing is though if he'd beaten four men and lobbed the keeper you'd still have people saying its only because its a sh*t league etc.

Those that want to put him down and begrudge him will find a way to so no matter what, same as if he'd gone to Leicester or stayed st Spurs.

As Lucky Lloyd always says:

haters-gonna-hate-fat-kid.jpg

I suppose it's not too difficult to score 51 International Goals either?

Fact of the matter is he was the only player that was one-on-one with the keeper at that point in time and he tucked it away, respect

It's respect? The MLS is poor. It's an overpriced League One at best! I still wish Keane all the best but for someone of his skill he'd want to be delivering every week, no question! I hope he does, for our sake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It was the clever through ball by Beckham ,poor defending and the woeful goalkeeping that put the goal on a plate for him.
    Keane then celebrates as if he created the goal out of nothing and as if he is a God among men.

It was the clever through ball by Beckham ,poor defending and the woeful goalkeeping that put the goal on a plate for him.
    Keane then celebrates as if he created the goal out of nothing and as if he is a God among men.

You must really hate Pippo Inzaghi.

flahavaj wrote: »
    You must really hate Pippo Inzaghi.

No ,he is a good goal poacher.
    Its Keanes celebration that lets him down,its all about him .
    You'd think he'd scored the World cup winning goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

:cool:

He's just scored on his debut, who wouldn't be happy tbh?

Hopefully his confidence takes a boost, really need him to produce in the upcoming internationals.

His celebration lets him down? :confused:

Best reason I've heard yet from the hater camp.

You missed the point.

Pippo celebrates every two yard tap in like he's just scored the World Cup winning goal as well. If you dislike Keane for his celebrations then you should dislike Inzaghi for the sme reason as he's probably worse.

Goalscorers love scoring goals and celebrate doing so like they'll never score one again. Who really gives a flying f*ck? At least he's actually scoring goals, as he has done relentlessly throughout his career.

But people can't criticise his redord so they turn to his celebrations instead. Keep on drinking that haterade baby.

That is the single most retarded thing I have ever read

Haters gonna hate. Keane is a class act, end of. There will always be keyboard warriors telling him to to live his life but their opinion doesnt matter squat....a living legend and we will miss him when he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

Hell I celebrate if I score in a local 11-a-side, I can just imagine what I'd do if I managed it in front of thousands of cheering fans :p

At this stage I don't care who he plays for (while MLS isn't PL standard it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be), I'd prefer a match fit Robbie playing week in week out then him wasting away on the Spurs bench the last season or so.

Plus, I will never comprehend the Keane hate among Irish football fans (I know not all but it is a sizeable number). I seem to have the same argument with my dad and brother whenever I go to a match with them where they somehow think he's one of our worst players. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mar-z wrote: »
    Plus, I will never comprehend the Keane hate among Irish football fans (I know not all but it is a sizeable number). I seem to have the same argument with my dad and brother whenever I go to a match with them where they somehow think he's one of our worst players. :confused:

+1 he's one of the all time top scorers in international football, he shows up and gives it socks every time.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

mar-z wrote: »

A lad I work with hates Keane because he's from Dublin.

He's only one example I know but there's plenty like him.

The celebration one is still the best I've heard though :pac:

rarnes1 wrote: »

No one has ever come up with a reasonable reason for hating the chap tbh. Now there's plenty people I hate for no good reason but at least I'll acknowledge its irrational, but the Keane haterz will try and convince you with all kinds of retarded stuff. The celebration thing has been brought up before, lame.

I often find a good filter with such arguments is if it sounds like something a taxi driver will regale you with then its probably not worth listening to in the first place. The Robbie Keane stuff is very much in that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's respect? The MLS is poor. It's an overpriced League One at best! I still wish Keane all the best but for someone of his skill he'd want to be delivering every week, no question! I hope he does, for our sake ;)

It's of better quality than the SPL. Nobody seemed to mind when he went to celtic but LA Galaxy is a disaster?

pfffff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

He must hate 50% of the Irish squad, if he wants to be consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't really like Robbie's celebration either but TBH it probably suits American culture more than here and I will say fair play to Robbie for scoring the goal and getting this off to a good start for him.

I do fear his standard of play will decline when he isn't playing in the premiership but hopefully it keeps his confidence up which seems to be the part he has trouble with especially when playing for Ireland for some reason. Not a good player under a lot of pressure to achieve I would have said but he did in this case.

Can't hold anything against him here. He is fresh off a flight to LA and playing in a game when most people would be giving out about jet lag, he is playing 70 minutes and scores on his debut with all the pressure that comes with the move and it was an intelligent goal too so his mind was obviously fresh and focused on the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report/_/id/314314?cc=5739
    CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- Although Robbie Keane has been celebrating his goals the same way for 14 years, his trademark cartwheel-somersault is new on this continent.

The Los Angeles Galaxy's newly acquired forward is already showing off all of his moves in his dynamic MLS debut.

Keane scored in the 21st minute, converting a pass from David Beckham in the Galaxy's 2-0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday night.

The Irish national team striker showed few ill effects from an eventful week of travel and upheaval during his move from Tottenham Hotspur to MLS. Keane was active and aggressive while playing into the 72nd minute, exhibiting clear chemistry with Beckham while generating several good scoring chances in addition to his goal.

"It couldn't have gone, obviously, better for me," Keane said. "It's great to score a goal, but the most important thing is the three points. ... When you come to a new team, it's always good to get the first goal. When you go a few games without a goal, it starts to play on your mind."

Keane doesn't have to worry about any mind games. The 10th-leading goal-scorer in Premier League history already fits in comfortably alongside Beckham and captain Landon Donovan on MLS' top team.

"I knew he was going to be running, and I knew where to put it," Beckham said. "He's a player who knows where to run, and if you're on the same wavelength as him, you've got a real good chance. He's always going to make good runs, and it's up to us to find him."

The Galaxy fans welcomed Keane with the same enthusiasm shown by the club on Friday, when it flew the Irish flag above the pitch and painted bright-green shamrocks into the grassy berm below the scoreboard. Keane's No. 14 Galaxy shirt already was selling briskly at souvenir stands, and a few Keane shirts from Tottenham appeared in the crowd.

Los Angeles was MLS' best team even before the arrival of Keane, who's already providing a new dimension to its attack. The Galaxy has struggled to get consistent scoring from its forwards, but Keane was a factor from the opening minute.

"He looked sharp," Beckham said. "He could have had one or two more goals."

Mike Magee also scored in the 90th minute for the league-leading Galaxy (14-3-9), who moved six points clear of second-place Seattle in the Western Conference standings with their fifth win in six games. Los Angeles has lost only once since May 1.

San Jose defender Steven Beitashour was ejected in the 81st minute for stepping on Donovan in the latest bad behavior in this California Clasico rivalry.

Keane had two good runs at the goal in the first 15 minutes, but was called offside on both. Keane then barely missed an open shot from the penalty dot in the 19th minute, pushing a left-footed shot wide on a deflection from Cristman. Keane went flat on his back in frustration, but the Angel City Brigade supporters behind the net still cheered him.

Keane then got behind San Jose's defense when it failed to clear a through ball from Beckham. Keane waited out Quakes goalie Jon Busch, fired home a left-footed shot and broke into a slightly rusty rendition of his goal celebration, capped by his two-handed gesture at his newest fans.

"When he was younger, he used to elevate a little more," Los Angeles coach Bruce Arena joked about Keane's celebration.

Keane nearly added another goal in the 64th minute when he outran two defenders to a bouncing pass, but his volleyed shot sailed just over the crossbar.

Magee eventually replaced Keane, who left the field to a standing ovation from the crowd of 27,000.

"We're elated with Robbie," Arena said. "I think he had a great 70 minutes tonight, and he's going to have a lot more. I know Robbie's fitness isn't perhaps where he wants it to be, but he's a fit athlete. When he gets two or three games under his belt, he's going to be fine."

The rivalry match again featured physical play and 37 fouls culminating in Beitashour's ejection. Donovan made a tackle and slid underneath Beitashour, whose spikes connected with Donovan's knee when he landed.

San Jose and Los Angeles played to a contentious 0-0 draw in late June, with Magee playing goal for Los Angeles for 47 minutes after starter Donovan Ricketts broke his arm and backup Josh Saunders was ejected.

Glowing review of his general performance from ESPN.

His celebration lets him down? :confused:

Best reason I've heard yet from the hater camp.

Firstly hate is a strong word,I dont hate the guy .

The point I was trying to make is that his celebration was all about him,it seemed egotistical and doesnt do him any favours from his detractors who accuse him of being a selfish and egotistical player.
    Only this week there was a newspaper article entitled "The Ego has landed" .

Keane has been a good servant for the country and he is a good pro but he is overated and there is something about his onfield manner that irks people.

Saying that alot of the media in this country have been over the top with their personal attacks on him ,which is out of order,he should only be judged on his onfield play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

^^^^^^

Don't strikers need to be a bit egotistical and full of self-confidence, nay arrogance, and selfishness to be effective?

• Advertisement

Firstly hate is a strong word,I dont hate the guy .

The point I was trying to make is that his celebration was all about him,it seemed egotistical and doesnt do him any favours from his detractors who accuse him of being a selfish and egotistical player.
    Only this week there was a newspaper article entitled "The Ego has landed" .

Keane has been a good servant for the country and he is a good pro but he is overated and there is something about his onfield manner that irks people.

Saying that alot of the media in this country have been over the top with their personal attacks on him ,which is out of order,he should only be judged on his onfield play.

Stop complaining about his celebrations then!

flahavaj wrote: »
    Stop complaining about his celebrations then!

It happens on the pitch doesnt it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'm not in the Robbie Keane haters camp as he is an Irish Legend and deserves respect for what he has done for the Irish team throughout the last 13/14 years. However with Long and Doyle playing and scoring at a higher level than him his place in the side has to be coming under question soon.

Its got f*ck all to do with his "onfield play" though to quote your own words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Good luck to him I say. A boy from Tallaght done good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ESPN showing the game now for anyone that didn't see it live.

Robbie Keane gets a fair bit of stick but is a decent player,his Ireland goals record shows this despite playing in a national team that hardly creates hatfuls of chances in matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It does yeah. I, for one, think the technique he uses when adjusting his socks is woeful as well. Nothing player.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Why do people seem to have difficulty in holding the tri-colour the right way 'round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Keano to score first and LA to win, I love being a biased Keane fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No matter if you like him or dislike him, i think everyone can agree that the rolly polly and bow and arrow celebration is very cringeworthy for a 31 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No matter if you like him or dislike him, i think everyone can agree that the rolly polly and bow and arrow celebration is very cringeworthy for a 31 year old.

Its a class celebration. What would be cringeworthy is if he injured himself doing it at 31 years of age!

• Advertisement
Advertisement