Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane to L.A Galaxy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Any ideas where to get a Galaxy jersey in Ireland, lads? Only place I can see online is the LA website, but they only sell the $160 tech fit ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No matter if you like him or dislike him, i think everyone can agree that the rolly polly and bow and arrow celebration is very cringeworthy for a 31 year old.

Compared to some of the African lads celebrations over the years its a bit limp, but not much chance of injuring himself with a forward roll. Didn't Babayaro at Chelsea injure himself doing a flip years ago.

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Didn't Babayaro at Chelsea injure himself doing a flip years ago.
    Nani did the same thing last season. http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/46132/Nani_reveals_reasons_for_shelving_backflip_celebration_.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I dont really see how a celebration makes a player bad which is what some of ye seem to think, Should everyone just Alan Shearer it, Wow that would be exciting, I suppose Ye dont like Zlatans jump in the air, Nanis flip, or Martins 54 backflips

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Nobody had any problem with Robbie's goal celebration here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQOoSUbnBs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

stupid argument the lads always done that celebration, he enjoys scoring goals and shows it so what!

Fair dues to Robbie he's taken a gamble in going there and i hope it works out for him as Ireland will benefit from a fit sharp in form Keane.
    He will be beaming from ear to ear now that he's off the mark all ready so here's hoping he bangs in a couple in the qualifiers in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

scaller wrote: »
    Nobody had any problem with Robbie's goal celebration here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQOoSUbnBs

surprised mick didnt do a flip there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm sorry, but the last few pages of this thread are showing up your forum lads. Criticizing a player because of his goal celebration? Jaysus! Childish stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

No ,he is a good goal poacher.
    Its Keanes celebration that lets him down,its all about him .
    You'd think he'd scored the World cup winning goal.
    Oh ffs. The guy has scored a goal on his debut in MLS and shows a little bit of passion. What do you expect him? A fleeting nod to the Galaxy fans before trotting back to his own half for the restart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

No ,he is a good goal poacher.
    Its Keanes celebration that lets him down,its all about him .
    You'd think he'd scored the World cup winning goal.

As a striker, every goal you score should feel like the World Cup winning goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

blue-army wrote: »
    Any ideas where to get a Galaxy jersey in Ireland, lads? Only place I can see online is the LA website, but they only sell the $160 tech fit ones.

why would you, or anyone want one of them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

To show support for the captain of our national team who has served us proudly for many years ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

To show support for the captain of our national team who has served us proudly for many years ?

Also, some people just like collecting exotic jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Also also, some people are fans of players, as well as teams, so just like they'd buy their favourite teams jersey, they'd also buy their favourite players jersey, whatever team they play for.

PS what was that plastered over the rags at the weekend about Keane's missus vs Posh? Something like "Who's hotter?". You have to lol at these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

scaller wrote: »

Quinny's flick on was suberb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

The_B_Man wrote: »
    PS what was that plastered over the rags at the weekend about Keane's missus vs Posh? Something like "Who's hotter?". You have to lol at these things.

tbh I think this would warrant more conversation than some of the other bs surrounding Keane's career. The lack of appreciation for your countries top scorer is baffling to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

fair enough so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Pics or gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Blog about Robbies move to MLS,
    Very keen on the Keane move
    August, 19, 2011
    Aug 19
    5:04
    PM ET

At the risk of mixing my football metaphors, I'm giving a game ball to the Los Angeles Galaxy this week. The reason: for completing the Robbie Keane transfer from Tottenham Hotspur. It's an inspired piece of business. The Galaxy get a proven goal scorer and MLS's most prominent franchise demonstrates that it's willing to shed its financial training wheels once again to win a championship. And these days, like it or hate it, that's what big boy soccer is all about.

Keane turned 31 last month, has scored goals wherever he's played and his passion for the game resonates with fans like the unique aroma and velvet aftertaste of a perfect pint of Guinness. And like his nation's iconic stout, Ireland's captain is a much-traveled commodity (that according to some is an acquired taste that comes served with a big head). But by temperament, natural-born goal scorers are all divas, worth their weight in all the bouquets of white orchids placed perfectly in their locker stall. And Galaxy fans will be happy to pay any required florist bills for the foreseeable future.

According to reports, Keane will take his place in the Galaxy locker room for Saturday's game against the San Jose Earthquakes, replacing the quickly discarded, surplus-to-requirements (and MLS rules) Designated Player Juan Pablo Angel. The former Red Bulls striker has been one of the best DPs in MLS history, but this season he has scored fewer goals (three) than EPL teams Keane has played for (five), and now seeks to reboot his career across the Home Depot Center corridor at Chivas USA.

Angel came to MLS with an EPL pedigree, but it wasn't anywhere near as extensive as Keane's. The Irish striker leaves the Premiership tied for 10th on the all-time goal-scoring list (123 goals, level with Dwight Yorke). He's also Ireland's all-time leading scorer with 51 goals and is still very much a fixture on the national team, and -- unlike other notable DP signings such as David Beckham and Thierry Henry -- Keane doesn't wash up on MLS shores carrying an injury.

So, what could go wrong? Well, for starters, Keane will be riding the energy-sapping trans-Atlantic shuttle to play in Ireland's Euro2012 quest (the Irish play crucial games against Slovakia and Russia in September). The Galaxy have already been down this flight path with David Beckham, and those England late-substitute appearance expeditions only expedited exasperation with the Beckham experiment. In addition, Keane clearly wore out his welcome with the easygoing Harry Redknapp at Spurs despite being a prolific scorer and significant contributor for much of his time at White Hart Lane. Also, his Liverpool move was a short-lived bust, and recent loan spells at Celtic and West Ham produced goals (especially at Celtic) but didn't lead to permanent moves. Finances were a factor in both cases most likely, and that's where the Galaxy brass must get some credit here. They not only put up a significant DP salary but also reportedly paid Spurs a transfer fee in the $5 million range.

The Galaxy want to win the 2011 MLS Cup, and this week they put their checkbook where the easy clichés reside. Bruce Arena's team already leads the Western Conference and is well placed for a title chase without another large expenditure. But the same could be said for Barcelona in a much bigger arena, and that didn't stop the world's best team from signing Cesc Fabregas this week. Of course L.A. isn't in the same galaxy as the Spanish giant, but the organization demonstrated huge ambition this week. And that's great for MLS and great for American soccer.

When MLS teams go beyond signing celebrity free agents who have few significant bidders on the European side of the Atlantic and begin competing in transfer payment bidding, then the league sends serious signals of intent to fans, sponsors and its players. It has ambition, and is willing to pay to fulfill it. MLS has a long way to go on this, but the Galaxy made a significant step in the right direction this week.

And now, the league and its best-known team have an established international-caliber player still in his prime with a point to prove and that rare talent for scoring goals. Another North London legend, Thierry Henry, leads the MLS scoring charts at the moment. Don't be surprised if Robbie Keane starts chasing him down very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Keanes first goal :)

(Camera man is garbage!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

"Irish Eyes are smiling" "Welcome to Hollywood" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Pics or gtfo

thats the tip of the Iceberg tbh, Keane and his missus will be up to the 9s with cynical american bs now.

posh is about as attractive as a 12 year old anorexic woman, so Id give the nudge to keanos wan for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    tbh I think this would warrant more conversation than some of the other bs surrounding Keane's career. The lack of appreciation for your countries top scorer is baffling to me.

I'll be honest, I was kinda hopin to de-rail the hater ****e with a change of subject.
    Sure the wasnt even a mention of the fact that he's keepin Thierry Henry out of the team!! Cupla years ago and that'd put him in line for presidency!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'll be honest, I was kinda hopin to de-rail the hater ****e with a change of subject.
    Sure the wasnt even a mention of the fact that he's keepin Thierry Henry out of the team!! Cupla years ago and that'd put him in line for presidency!! ;)

maybe im missing something cause im just glossing over the thread but Henry plays for the Red Bulls!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Doesn't Henry play for New york red bulls? Different team mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Epic Fail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Keane a diva?

did he compare la to barceona because they bought keane while topping their conference?

what were you thinking when you pasted that?

if posh wins that poll i will be very disappointed in the yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I think LA are playing at 3am..any links? (bored.com may aswell see how he gets on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think LA are playing at 3am..any links? (bored.com may aswell see how he gets on)

http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/80390/1/watch-los-angeles-galaxy-vs-alajuelense.html

Nothing there yet..

• Advertisement

Nothing there yet..

http://www.justin.tv/tavocaldpz

somthings never change that ref is still ****ing awful

Beckham gets booked because he wanted the official to move as official was in his way at the corner..ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Commentator just said that Keane has a great aerial presence. :pac:

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Commentator just said that Keane has a great aerial presence. :pac:

yes keane has nearly gotten in at "the back door" twice!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Cheers.

Though you still can't top the South/Central American commentators when a goal is scored.

anymore links? That's stopped working. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

blue-army wrote: »

This is a complete myth. He injured his shoulder in a training camp in Portugal while he was preparing for the world cup. The article only says he modified his celebration to protect the shoulder. Not once does it say he has ever injured his shoulder doing a flip.

A little late, but glad to see Keane scored in his first game. Didn't see the one last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the best way of watching Galaxy matches?....after 14 years of seeing Robbie try an overhead kick in every game I would hate to miss it if he actually pulled it off.

Hope you were watching that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Hope you were watching that

haha was thinking of this post when I saw Robbie flat on his back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

shocking miss by a player who is past it, playing in that micky mouse league in america will do him no good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

shocking miss by a player who is past it, playing in that micky mouse league in america will do him no good.
    Oh God I think i'm going to shoot myself if I hear that fcuking line again!!!!!

Oh God I think i'm going to shoot myself if I hear that fcuking line again!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The 1999 in your username. Is that when you were born?

Watch the second goal in that video above, Keane didn't socre it, didn't get an assist, but made the chance by his movement.

tolosenc wrote: »
    The 1999 in your username. Is that when you were born?

Watch the second goal in that video above, Keane didn't socre it, didn't get an assist, but made the chance by his movement.

refers to man utd winning the treble in 1999:D

i couldn't be arsed watching anything that keane does in america its a micky mouse league with a few has beens like keane, Beckham etc, keane has done nothing of worth since being sold by liverpool FACT.

the oppsostion ireland play 8/10 are average nothing more, nearly all of his goals came in friendly games which meant fu*k all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Sometimes I really worry for the youth of today and there knowledge of the game, Judging players on one or two good games, writing people off after two or 3 bad ones, Saying Keane is finished cause Hes in the MLS christ sake Landon Donavon is a top player he plays there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

refers to man utd winning the treble in 1999:D

i couldn't be arsed watching anything that keane does in america its a micky mouse league with a few has beens like keane, Beckham etc, keane has done nothing of worth since being sold by liverpool FACT.

the oppsostion ireland play 8/10 are average nothing more, nearly all of his goals came in friendly games which meant fu*k all.
    You really haven't a clue have you?

Advertisement