Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a Grave

Options
  • 12-08-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Not sure if this is the correct forum but I'm wondering if anyone can advise how to go about selling a grave in Palmerstown and how much it would be worth. We have called Palmerstown graveyard who said they would just refund the amount we paid (aprox €500) but we have heard it can cost up to €4000 to buy one from them now. I would be grateful for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've only ever heard of a refund; as opposed to selling one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you allowed to re-sell the grave? That would be my first question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Maybe ask a local undertaker - if its totally empty and in good position close to the gates you might get a reasonable price.

Small advert in local newspaper is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Isn't the idea of buying a grave so that the family can be buried together, you don't wan't some stranger lying on top of Grandad for eternity.

It seem you got it at the right time, would it not be worth keeping, someone in the family will more than likely need it at some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

Try an auctioneer, they have plenty of free time now and after all it is a site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

corkonion wrote: »
    Try an auctioneer, they have plenty of free time now and after all it is a site.

Do you need planning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Moved to Accommodation & Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Moved to Accommodation & Property.

They could do with some green shoots of hope over there, €500 euro piece of land now valued at €7000:)

Go Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - helpful posts only please

dudara

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've only ever heard of anyone getting a refund. When my grandfather died years ago, we bought 2 plots side-by-side in case my grandmother passed away soon after. We were told by the cemetery that a certain amount of time needed to have passed between burials before they'd open the grave, and if my grandmother had died in the intervening time she wouldn't have been able to be put in the grave. As it turned out, she died 10 years later so she was able to be put in the same grave without any problems, but we were left with a spare plot. I know my family looked into selling it back to the graveyard (just basically looking for a refund) but they just decided to keep it in the end and if anyone in the family needs it it's there.

It might be worthwhile ringing one of the local funeral homes and see can they give you any advice or let you know the current going rate for plots in that area of the graveyard. I'm not sure how far you'd get with an ad in the paper though, I know if a relative of mine died I'd be leaving it to the undertakers to sort out sourcing a plot, can't imagine I'd be in the humour of going through the classifieds section tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Toots* wrote: »
    I've only ever heard of anyone getting a refund. When my grandfather died years ago, we bought 2 plots side-by-side in case my grandmother passed away soon after. We were told by the cemetery that a certain amount of time needed to have passed between burials before they'd open the grave, and if my grandmother had died in the intervening time she wouldn't have been able to be put in the grave. As it turned out, she died 10 years later so she was able to be put in the same grave without any problems, but we were left with a spare plot. I know my family looked into selling it back to the graveyard (just basically looking for a refund) but they just decided to keep it in the end and if anyone in the family needs it it's there.

It might be worthwhile ringing one of the local funeral homes and see can they give you any advice or let you know the current going rate for plots in that area of the graveyard. I'm not sure how far you'd get with an ad in the paper though, I know if a relative of mine died I'd be leaving it to the undertakers to sort out sourcing a plot, can't imagine I'd be in the humour of going through the classifieds section tbh!
    The problem with selling a side by side grave would be that you may not know who the new neighbours could be.

The last thing one would want would be a monstrosity of a head stone towering over the plot that your loved ones are buried in and blocking out all the sunlight shining on the plot. This has happened quite frequently down the country where headstone planning are seem to be non existent.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/trouble-brewing-over-highrise-headstones-put-up-by-travellers-1074492.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

You can certainly do it in Cork. This is the document that Cork City Council have on their website.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationamenityculture/cemeteries/assignment_right_burial_living_to_living1.pdf

Ask the management if they have a similar document in Palmerstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

It looks like you don't buy the plot you just get some sort of leasehold interest in it. If this is the case I think leases can be re-assigned to a third party but INAL.

You may get better answers to this question in the Accommodation & Property forum where leases are a common topic of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The problem with selling a side by side grave would be that you may not know who the new neighbours could be.

Aren't we all equal when we die - or is there a posh part of the cemetery where you plan to be buried and where you'll be kept well apart from the riff-raff?

Sceptre and Crown
    Must tumble down,
    And in the dust be equal made
    With the poor, crooked, scythe and spade

Death the Leveller, James Shirley
    The last thing one would want would be a monstrosity of a head stone towering over the plot that your loved ones are buried in and blocking out all the sunlight shining on the plot.

You're burying the dead, not planting spuds FFS.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The last thing one would want would be a monstrosity of a head stone towering over the plot that your loved ones are buried in and blocking out all the sunlight shining on the plot. This has happened quite frequently down the country where headstone planning are seem to be non existent.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/trouble-brewing-over-highrise-headstones-put-up-by-travellers-1074492.html

That's true also. I probably should have added that my grandparents are buried in a lawn cemetery where there's basically one long concrete foundation that you can put your headstone on and the rest is grass (no surrounds) and there's restrictions on headstone sizes there (basically for the very reason that some people had veritable tower blocks on the graves and others just had a simple plaque).

It's definitely something you'd want to clarify before you sell on the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

coylemj wrote: »
    Aren't we all equal when we die - or is there a posh part of the cemetery where you plan to be buried and where you'll be kept well apart from the riff-raff?

We're all equal when we die, but the living are the ones who do the grave.

Advertisement