Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland Food

• 12-08-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

What food does your Newfy eat.

Ours has a hotspot on his leg, vet has given him antibiotics and steriods 3 times and it aint going. He did a skin patch and nothing showed up.

The dog does not seem enthused about his food. We are feeding him this http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/royal_canin_size/giant/128348
    and he does not seem that keen on it.

Looking for suggestions of foods for a Newfoundland. Just wondering what food other dogs like?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, can I ask, whereabouts on his leg is the hotspot?

I think, as far as food is concerned, I'm joining the ever-increasing ranks of people who just don't trust commercial foods any more. I think they're responsible for a lot of health problems, and a direct and indirect cause of early death. So, when the current batch of commercial food is gone, my dogs are going to be on 100% natural, home made grub. They're on a half-and-half arrangement now... commercial one day and natural the next.
    Possibly the best of the commercial dry foods is George Burn's Luath's or Robbie's.. both are reasonably low in the bad stuff, but I've tried it with my own and plenty of rescued dogs here and, well, they're not hugely gone on it. They'll eat it, but they're not mad about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭sue97

Hi

Thanks for replying, its on the back of his front right leg (elbow joint). Vet suggested Burns Lamb food which they sell in case it was Chicken that was causing the problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed an issue with their dogs and had suggestions.

The reason I asked about the hotspot is that I've met a few dogs of late with hotspots around their wrist joint. It has been suggested before that these hotspots/patches where the dog licks or chews often correspond to acupuncture points, and the dog is chewing and licking these areas because it makes them feel good, less stressed etc. Sorry for going off topic a little, I was just curious!:)

I don't think he is stressed, he has company most of the day, loads of attention and is walked every day.

Any suggestions on how to resolve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What food are you feeding at the mo? My rottie suffers from Hot Spot which is triggered by food and it happened when he was fed Hills Science Plan and Gain food.

Sorry edited to add i see you are feeding Royal Canin. If its not going i suggest you take the dog off that food immediately. Sounds like it could be the food thats causing it if its not improving and unless you stop feeding it, it wont clear up.

Same happened my rottie, when i finally figured out it was the food causing it, once i took him off the food the improvement was nearly instant.

• Advertisement

Royal Canin Giant Junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

sue97 wrote: »
    Royal Canin Giant Junior

Yeah i saw that after i posted, i just added another bit to my last post, see above.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

While my boy didn't get hotspots, he did start pulling his own hair out on the Royal Canin Giant Junior so honestly I have little faith in it. I use Real Nature from Maxi Zoo, and I reccommend it quite highly, but as another poster said, Burns, Luaths and Robbie's are all good foods as well.

I don't think he is stressed, he has company most of the day, loads of attention and is walked every day.

Any suggestions on how to resolve it.

Oops! Sorry Sue97, I hadn't meant to suggest your dog is stressed! Sometimes, dogs just start to lick, then get hooked, but it's not because they're stressed. I suppose it's like thumb-sucking in kids! I was just curious whether the hot spot was on the same wrist spot as the others I've seen of late, but it's not!
    Hot spots have a strong dietary link, as the other posters have said. Royal Canin is one of the better commercial foods, but it still doesn't agree with all dogs. The same can be said for any of the high-quality foods.
    Burns, or George Burns' food ( same family, different foods) would be well worth investigating if you're keen to keep the Newfie on a dry diet, because as far as additives etc go, these brands seem to be the purest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

My Newfie began to eat away at herself on the top of her left hind leg. That was when we used Science Plan.

Have since switched to Royal Canine and have had no issues since (touch wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 SukisMam

BARF diet cures all ailments, I am absolutely convinced. All you need to do it try it and I bet you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP the Royal Canin you're feeding has 31% protein :O which is pretty high - especially for a larger breed dog as building too much muscle too fast can cause joint problems. My guy got hot spots from Hills when I stupidly listened to a different vet than our normal one and put him on it - once he went back on Burns it sorted itself. That said he broke out in hot spots last year and again this year from the cut grass in the park. The first time he got antibiotics but when it came back the second time I gave him pirotin for a few days and it cleared up. My guy did really well on Burns - I like it because it isn't full of extra bits and pieces that I can't pronounce and have no idea what the are. Burns is also nice and low in protein as well. Our guy was getting the runs all the time on RC and switching to Burns sorted the problem. He's on Luath now btw - it's slighly different to Burns (George Burns left and set up his own company) but suits him better also he gets it at daycare so it's just easier so he's not chopping and changing.

I changed dog food yesterday so hoping to see an improvement. Ended up buying this as vets was closed and pet shop did not have Burns. He loved it which is an improvement from his last food so hopefully will see an improvement in his biting of his limbs soon

Thanks all for the advice. If this does not work, will change him to Burns.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/james-wellbeloved-adult-complete-dog-food-with-lamb-and-rice-2kg-and-15kg-12743

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I changed dog food yesterday so hoping to see an improvement. Ended up buying this as vets was closed and pet shop did not have Burns. He loved it which is an improvement from his last food so hopefully will see an improvement in his biting of his limbs soon

Thanks all for the advice. If this does not work, will change him to Burns.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/james-wellbeloved-adult-complete-dog-food-with-lamb-and-rice-2kg-and-15kg-12743

James Wellbeloved is a great food and is good for sensitive dogs so should suit your guy perfectly! They have a good range too and I find it really agrees with my lot.

Advertisement