Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using non UPC wireless router with UPC

• 12-08-2011 9:35pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

I've bought a wireless router for use with UPC. I have set it up with a WEP and SSID, left all the other settings at their defaults and it is dishing out IP addresses fine.

However, I cannot access the internet on any machine attached to the router, whether it's wireless or not (it has 4 LAN ports).

My UPC "modem" is a Scientific Atlantic model EPC2203, which I have plugged into the WAN port on the new router, and I have my desktop plugged into one of the LAN ports and my laptop is connecting via WLAN.
    But no internet...

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Samson wrote: »
    I've bought a wireless router for use with UPC. I have set it up with a WEP and SSID, left all the other settings at their defaults and it is dishing out IP addresses fine.

However, I cannot access the internet on any machine attached to the router, whether it's wireless or not (it has 4 LAN ports).

My UPC "modem" is a Scientific Atlantic model EPC2203, which I have plugged into the WAN port on the new router, and I have my desktop plugged into one of the LAN ports and my laptop is connecting via WLAN.
    But no internet...

Any ideas?

UPC is being a nightmare tonight in the D16/24 area. Dunno if that counts :/

Try the modem directly into the PC or something to see?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The modem plugged directly into the PC is and has been working fine, and is the way I usually operate.
    I bought the router as I want wireless access to the web on my PS3 and laptop.

I suspect my problem is just some obvious config thing that I'm not doing on the router.

Have you rebooted the EPC2203 since installing the new router? You might need to do this so it will give out a new public IP. You should be able to check the WAN status in the web interface of your router to see if an IP address is being issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Samson wrote: »
    The modem plugged directly into the PC is and has been working fine, and is the way I usually operate.
    I bought the router as I want wireless access to the web on my PS3 and laptop.

I suspect my problem is just some obvious config thing that I'm not doing on the router.

When you were connecting directly to the modem in the past did you have any "set" ip stuff on your PC or laptop? For torrenting or the likes?

Maybe check with ipconfig /all or go into the lan connection on the PC and check properties/ipv4

Advertisement