Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insignia or Mondeo??

• 12-08-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi all,
    This is my first post so go easy! I'm moving back to Ireland from the uk (thats for another forum) and have a new job with a company car. The selection is'nt great but I've narrowed it down to either a Mondeo or Insignia. I was initialy going for the Mondeo Style but its a 1.6 Diesel (115pb) and the Insignia Ecoflex SC is a 2.0 Diesel (130bp). What do you think? I can choose any of the body style available so a recomendation on that would be good too. Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Josieg wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This is my first post so go easy! I'm moving back to Ireland from the uk (thats for another forum) and have a new job with a company car. The selection is'nt great but I've narrowed it down to either a Mondeo or Insignia. I was initialy going for the Mondeo Style but its a 1.6 Diesel (115pb) and the Insignia Ecoflex SC is a 2.0 Diesel (130bp). What do you think? I can choose any of the body style available so a recomendation on that would be good too. Thanks in advance.

Both excellent cars but the Insignia has the edge on styling and power, two of the most important factors in cars - plus I've never seen a Garda Insignia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

My heart says the Insignia, but my head says the Mondeo.
    Most car reviews I've read prefer the Mondeo, but the insignia is a much better looking car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

v Little space in the back of the insignia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

My brother is an opel mechanic and he said they are pieces of ****..

My father has the new mondeo and the only trouble it has given him so far was a small problem with the bonnet catch cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Superb. Skoda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The insignia is nicer certainly, but I'd have reservations about quality. Some aspects of the mondeo Are nasty. I hate some interior bits, the styling is lardy in a lot of places

Surely there are other options that you'd consider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

cronin_j wrote: »
    My brother is an opel mechanic and he said they are pieces of ****..
    I've been hearing this for a while from different people but still it keeps getting recommended everywhere.

OP I'd take the Mondeo although if you can push for a bigger engine

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Josieg

I would have gone for the Mondeo straight away if I had the option of a 2.0 engine. The 1.6 is all I'm being offered. The other cars on the very short list are the Avensis (2.0 Diesel) or the Grand C-Max with the same 1.6 engine as the Mondeo. Not too keen on either of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Josieg wrote: »
    I would have gone for the Mondeo straight away if I had the option of a 2.0 engine. The 1.6 is all I'm being offered. The other cars on the very short list are the Avensis (2.0 Diesel) or the Grand C-Max with the same 1.6 engine as the Mondeo. Not too keen on either of those.
    Have you set in or driven any of the cars?

I like the Avensis.

@Johnos I haven't driven any of them. Its a bit of a pain really. I only got my choices on Thursday evening and I really need to make a decision by Monday to order the car because it will take a couple of months to arrive. I'm still in the uk at the minute and I cant get a test drive in any at short notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

there both fantastic cars,both very ecenomical and reliable with great build quality,a top of the range bmw 3 series or merc c class cant compeat the the insigna's looks or interier and definatly not the price,both are very reliable,our family car was a 96 corsa that we had for 13 years,we changed it in 09 for an 08 corsa,never had bother with either,i personaly wouldnt go past opel and given how common the mondeo is the insignia will hold its value much better,i sat in one and had poke around when we updated the corsa it realy is more luxurious than most mercs and beemers,there a real bargain,i think the insignia is the obvious choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There are an awful lot of insignia's around too so I wouldnt say they will hold much value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

It's a company car, so that's not an issue

P.S my vote would be for the Insignia. I've driven both extensively and found the Insignia to be a much nicer car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

For me its the Insignia. Far superior looking car with the better engine.

I' wouldn't think there would be a big difference on depreciation between the two although since its a company car it matters not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

V Eight wrote: »
    plus I've never seen a Garda Insignia.

orly-owl.jpg

5074571873_60a4fc3eaa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

They even look good as a cop car:D no mean feat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Insignia is better looking, especially as an estate. However there seems to be quite a few reliability concerns with it. Have also heard that the gearing makes it very hard to drive at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

IMG]IMG]

Epic Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can't comment on the mondeo, but I've been driven around in spanking new insignia for a job I did and it gave me cronic back ache. seriously, the seats are the most uncomfortable I've ever been in. I was so disappointed becuase its a great looking car and well specd.

I assume you'll be doing big enough mileage so comfort would come above all else for me. though at 1.6l the mondeo is going to be boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thought that was an avensis first when i saw it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Honda Accord it's in a different league to both me those cars, it's more expensive but better in long run. It's only my opinion and I'm sure some on here will disagree.

200motels wrote: »
    Honda Accord it's in a different league to both me those cars, it's more expensive but better in long run. It's only my opinion and I'm sure some on here will disagree.

Except it's not on the list of choices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Based on the list of choices, I'm pretty sure I know where the op is going to work....

1 mondeo so far and 1 grand c-max, everyone else has gone for the insignia. If you want a small mpv then the c-max is pretty cool, otherwise go for the Insignia in either estate or 5 door, but please don't go for the beige cloth interior

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

orly-owl.jpg

5074571873_60a4fc3eaa.jpg

...................."D'oh!"

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

I have different models of both cars and I really think you need to drive the exact model of both

My concerns with each are

Mondeo

1.6l is too small to push this size car around

Insignia

18" alloys I found very loud and rough even on motorway surface
    Rear seat narrower by 30mm than the mondeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My Vote is Insignia SC but please add the Plus Pack.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Based on the list of choices, I'm pretty sure I know where the op is going to work....

So R.O.R who do you think I'm going to work for then?? and how do you know?:D

Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm leaning towards the Insignia 4 or 5 door. They look very similar. Any reason why I would choose one over the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,311 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends on how much use you give the boot. The hatchback will be more practical than the saloon due to easier access. Not sure also if the SC saloon has a split folding rear seat as standard. If the budget allows it I'd try and get the higher spec SE. The Insigna looks very ordinary in S and SC spec imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd probably go for the Insignia, as I think they're a fine looking thing on 17" wheels.

Alternatively, if you don't need a lot of space then you could have a look at the Volvo S40/V50 D2 (1.6D 4 cylinder with 6 speed manual and 115bhp) or D3 (2.0D 5 cylinder with 6 speed manual/6 speed automatic with 163bhp). Prices for these range between 25-30 grand.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I'd probably go for the Insignia, as I think they're a fine looking thing on 17" wheels.

Alternatively, if you don't need a lot of space then you could have a look at the Volvo S40/V50 D2 (1.6D 4 cylinder with 6 speed manual and 115bhp) or D3 (2.0D 5 cylinder with 6 speed manual/6 speed automatic with 163bhp). Prices for these range between 25-30 grand.

Ahem... :)
    -Chris- wrote: »
    Except it's not on the list of choices...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Insignia - without doubt. I found it much nicer to drive, has better features, and looks better. Have a SE 18 months now and never a moments trouble with it. Had a Mondeo once and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    Really depends on how much use you give the boot. The hatchback will be more practical than the saloon due to easier access. Not sure also if the SC saloon has a split folding rear seat as standard. If the budget allows it I'd try and get the higher spec SE. The Insigna looks very ordinary in S and SC spec imo.

+1 on the spec and the hatch but if the OP is using boxes there are two angled bits on both sides of the boot in the Insignia that'll stop you from sliding them in the back.

I didn't 310 kms as a passenger in one today, 6th gear is completely pointless but other than that, they're a nice comfy car.

He has 60,000 kms up on his in a year and not a single problem so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Suprab1

I would take the insignia over the mondeo but none are great to be honest. If it was me i would take the Avensis without thought.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Suprab1 wrote: »
    I would take the insignia over the mondeo but none are great to be honest. If it was me i would take the Avensis without thought.

:D That could be read 2 ways :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I drove a Mondeo for a while, and bought an Insignia.

I've never looked back. Lovely styling, great handling, no problems with the car itself. It's a lovely drive.

Loads of room, loads of boot space (which was important for me).

Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

Whist the decision is probably already made (the OP needed to make a decision by 'Monday' a few weeks back!), +1 from me on the Insignia also.

I haven't driven a Mondeo but I have sat in a few (prefer the Insignia looks/styling/interior). I hired a new Insignia (2.0 diesel) a few weeks back for a trip to the wesht and back in two days - sweet engine, I liked the interior, and at 6'4.5" it is rare for me to say I was comfortable througout the entire journey (usually drive with knees under my chin). :)

Debate seems even, OP. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,474 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

If it's a company car there's not much to worry about is there?
    I've driven both and the Insignia is a really comfortable car to sit in, however if you want a good drive go for the Mondeo, thats not to say the Insignia doesn't drive well, just not as well as the Mondeo so it's really up to each indiviual to decide what suits them.
    You could be cheeky and get a test drive of both before you decide.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

I changed the car in May & test drove both Insignia & Mondeo extensively (although the 2.0 TDCi, but from reports I have read & owners on the Mondeo forums, the 1.6 is a good motor) both great cars, you would probly be happy with either TBH. My personal opinion was for the mondeo, more space & bigger/more useful boot & better (slightly) drive & handling. Don't know what trim spec that model is but the Titanium I bought has loads of gadgets (and a very useful heated fron screen which is superb in the bad weather).

My 2p/€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IVIada

Superb. Skoda.

Agree with this! But to answer your question, I would go for the Mondeo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement