Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Seo

Options
  • 12-08-2011 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I moved to Korea and recently started my own website www.exploringkorea.com It has been over 2 months now but I am still getting few website views everyday. Can someone take a look at the site and give me some tips. I am using wordpress and have seo plugins installed. I have a few keywords that I'm working with and write unique content with lots of details.

If anyone has any tips or ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 maryplatts

your going to have to give the website sometime (probably a year) before its going to start appearing high up the rankings. Also you need to write some proper meta data for each of the pages. The key word title tag is very important with google. make sure it reflects key words on the page + is something people are going to search for

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

Your website is informational, not social. People will visit the site, read the information and then leave. The tone of the site is academic, so I think you're looking for a slow haul getting a ranking with Google.

The previous poster was bang on. Titles with phrases such as 'latest posts', 'home', even 'visa for korea' are not going to get you anywhere because they are way too generic for a site starting off.

Mind you, I'm not one to give advise. I abandoned my own site, www.scoopkorea.com quite a while ago because of similar issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TokyoImports

maryplatts wrote: »
    your going to have to give the website sometime (probably a year) before its going to start appearing high up the rankings. Also you need to write some proper meta data for each of the pages. The key word title tag is very important with google. make sure it reflects key words on the page + is something people are going to search for

Thanks for the advice. I have been following these rules so far. I guess I will ahve to focus on this a lot more.

conorcan2 wrote: »
    Your website is informational, not social. People will visit the site, read the information and then leave. The tone of the site is academic, so I think you're looking for a slow haul getting a ranking with Google.

The previous poster was bang on. Titles with phrases such as 'latest posts', 'home', even 'visa for korea' are not going to get you anywhere because they are way too generic for a site starting off.

Mind you, I'm not one to give advise. I abandoned my own site, www.scoopkorea.com quite a while ago because of similar issues.

Before I made the site I decided to be an informative site with all the facts, details etc. I am terrible at writing and making it sociable so I stuck with the facts. With my site I don't expect people to leave comments but in the future I will add a forum or a Q&A page.

When I first started out people would only visit one page and leave now it seems to be 2 or 3 pages. I get about 100 unique visits everyday with 95% of them coming from google search. I think you are right about my site being way too generic for starting off but some of the generic pages are ranking well in google.

If you don't mind me asking what happened your site? How many visits were you getting every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It's an interesting topic for a site and I'd have probably found it useful if it had been around before I went to Seoul a couple of years ago :)

You've got some interesting topics, but they're sort of lacking something.
    For example:
    http://www.exploringkorea.com/daehan-cinema-chungmuro/

What kind of films does it show?
    Does it show films in English?
    Can I book tickets via their site?
    How can I find out what is currently showing?

Basically what I'm trying to get at is making the site that bit more useful

http://www.exploringkorea.com/category/language/

Animal names might be interesting to you, but what do casual visitors to Korea want / need to know?

As for the SEO side of things ..

http://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/ is very helpful and he's also got some very good tips on his site which can help

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    It's an interesting topic for a site and I'd have probably found it useful if it had been around before I went to Seoul a couple of years ago :)

You've got some interesting topics, but they're sort of lacking something.
    For example:
    http://www.exploringkorea.com/daehan-cinema-chungmuro/

What kind of films does it show?
    Does it show films in English?
    Can I book tickets via their site?
    How can I find out what is currently showing?

Basically what I'm trying to get at is making the site that bit more useful

http://www.exploringkorea.com/category/language/

Animal names might be interesting to you, but what do casual visitors to Korea want / need to know?

As for the SEO side of things ..

http://yoast.com/wordpress/seo/ is very helpful and he's also got some very good tips on his site which can help

Thanks for all the advice and checking out the site.
    I am still learning a lot about websites as this is my first. I'd love to add all that information about the cinemas but keeping it updated would be a nightmare unless I had some kind of live feed or scraper. There are hundreds of cinemas in Seoul. My main goal was to provide some information in English and a Map.

The website is no where near finished but for sightseeing there are more than 100 pages. The animal name thing was something I added for content as I had it on my computer already. I will be working on more things in the next few weeks including Korean lessons,getting visas / drivers licence and details about every aspect of living in or travelling in Korea.

Thanks for the link I have looked over it and will go over it in more detail over the next few days.

Advertisement