Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fungus? Or Alien Life Form?

• 12-08-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hello,

Can anyone help identify a fungus I found growing on a dead tree yesterday? I've pictures of it but don't know how to attach so if someone could give me a hint - I did try but was asked for the URL of the photos and haven't got a clue what that is or how to find it.

Anyway I'll try to describe the fungus. It's basically like a pale whitey-orange in colour and looks like a pair of testicles, except there are three of them in the 'sac' instead of two. The 'sac' is soft and squidgy and attached to the tree by a whitish sort of ubilical cord.

Don't know the type of tree it's growing on. I think it's young at the moment and I'm waiting to see what it changes into but I'm impatient so if anyone can tell me what it is or how to get the photos up here I'd be very grateful. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

If photos are on your hard drive, you can attach them

When you post reply, scroll down and find "Manage attachments"

If the photos are uploaded to a host, so that they can be viewed by others such as myself while browsing, then the URL is the bit at the top of page beginning with http://

It's different for every page you visit while browsing (with some exceptions)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Thanks Mothman! Photos now uploaded.

Interesting! and your description was quite good :)
    The host doesn't look like a young tree, in fact it looks like a largish dead trunk....unless you meant the fungus was young...

Would you take regular photos and upload them?
    I'd be interested in seeing the progress.

Ha ha! Yep, they look like something you might see on Embarassing Bodies - but let's not go there.

The tree is a large dead tree, well-rotted, t'is the fungus that is still young. Will take a pic every day - the photo alf2-3 is in fact from yesterday when the 'balls' seem to be getting more defined.

Also on the same tree was this - first pic is an innocuous cauliflower-looking fungus. Next day it had 'melted' to produce a fungus puddle on the ground. Isn't Nature marvellous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

could be the slime mold, Enteridium lycoperdon (false puffball)

• Advertisement

Here's a couple of pics from last night. Sorry they're a bit blurred, it was dusk. Definitely changing colour and getting more globular.

Any update?

Sorry for the silence - visitors staying over so haven't been able to nip out as often.
    Anyway here are the latest photos - looking a bit puffball-ish? The forms are really hard now and the contents are solid, not powdery. I must add that it wasn't me that vandalised them, have tried to cover them with a bit of foliage so they're not as visible.

Any ideas yet?

Whoops! Forgot photos - here they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Intriguing:D
    They are looking more puffball (or false puffball) like.. though I think that's what the caulilower looking one is too. I have little -no real knowledge of fungi though.

* I think the one on the right looks more like a bottom now.

• Advertisement

Haven't updated any pics because there's nothing more to show at the mo. Guess they are some sort of puffball so probably not much will happen until they're 'ripe'. When something else happens I'll post more pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Looks like Calvatia Gigantea.

Advertisement