Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Dog App

• 12-08-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey,

Best of luck in the results to last years leaving cert students!!!

But I'm more interested in this years LC students :D

During this summer after my first year of college I create an Android App for this years Leaving Cert Students.

This app lets you view/download/save leaving cert papers and marking schemes to your phone.

Any feedback on how to make the app better for the students for this year would be great!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

would a few sample answers or tips be there too :D
    sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭robbio87

Hey,
    The answers would be handy alright :D, all answers are available online for free.

All answers are also included in the pro version of the app. Which is €1.99. Is that too expensive?
    Depending on the feedback then I'm open to changing it.

But who knows, i could include some answers in the next update!

As for tips, I didn't do too well in my LC :( so its unlikely I'll be any help there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Is the app just for Android? I would get it if it was an iPhone app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

robbio87 wrote: »
    Hey,
    The answers would be handy alright :D, all answers are available online for free.

All answers are also included in the pro version of the app. Which is €1.99. Is that too expensive?

As for tips, I didn't do too well in my LC :( so its unlikely I'll be any help there!

The app is for students, make it free with an ad somewhere. You will get way more downloads but still get revenue from the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Limericks wrote: »
    The app is for students, make it free with an ad somewhere. You will get way more downloads but still get revenue from the ad.

Considering that it would allow access to all the past papers €1.99 is an extremely good price. The cheapest papers there are to buy are €2.50 per subject.

I suppose at the same time it doesn't eliminate the need to buy hard copies of the papers as they're often needed in class.

• Advertisement

Geo10 wrote: »
    Is the app just for Android? I would get it if it was an iPhone app.

Unfortunately its only for Android. I don't think I could release an iphone version this year, because I'm heading back to college in sept. But I think there is a Leaving Cert Papers App for the iphone, its €4, only has papers as far as 2008 and is 500mb big. :(

That is a big possibility also. The app is only a couple of weeks old, and the price is not set in stone.

I suppose at the same time it doesn't eliminate the need to buy hard copies of the papers as they're often needed in class.

You mean students can't use mobile phones in class??? :D
    That's the apps biggest problem alright.

And to be clear, I'm not selling any papers with the app. You need the internet to view/download them to your phone. And the Downloaded papers are listed in the app.

Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpful!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Why is it called a dog app or am I missing something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Are the exam papers in the app in pdf format?

If people don't know you can go to examinations.ie download the exam papers and send them to your email. Then go on your iphone/ipod touch and download the pdf's. You can use this method to read any pdf's you want on your ipod touch/iphone while you are offline. To view the pdf's just use the evernote app which is free or some other free pdf viewer. I'm not sure if android reads pdf's if not there is probably a pdf viewer for android.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Why is it called a dog app or am I missing something :pac:

:D Good question. I wondered when I would be asked that...
    It originally started out as a sniffer dog that sniffs out exam papers online.... but it's kinda developed into a pet that lives inside your phone and finds your papers for you now.
    Just a gimmick!
    As you can probably tell I don't have a masters degree in marketing :D

Neodymium wrote: »
    Are the exam papers in the app in pdf format?

If people don't know you can go to examinations.ie download the exam papers and send them to your email. Then go on your iphone/ipod touch and download the pdf's. You can use this method to read any pdf's you want on your ipod touch/iphone while you are offline. To view the pdf's just use the evernote app which is free or some other free pdf viewer. I'm not sure if android reads pdf's if not there is probably a pdf viewer for android.

Yes they are all in PDF format.
    And as i said earlier, all papers and marking schemes are available online for free.
    Some android phones come with Pdf readers installed, but if your android phone doesn't have one. Then you can download "Adobe Reader" for android. And its also free! :eek:

Thats a good alternative for iphone users too, I have the evernote app on my ipod, and on my laptop. Its very good, I use them nearly every day! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hey,

Not sure about the viability of charging for the app. Someone else mentioned making a free app and using adverts to generate revenue. Students have to have paper versions of the papers for class and can't use mobile phones in school, so what is going to encourage them to buy the app when they already have the papers?

If I'm at home and want to check a marking scheme I'll just go online on my computer or if I didn't have access to a computer on my mobile and it's costing me nothing extra.

Nice idea, but I'm not sure how you will make money on it.

• Advertisement

Not sure about the viability of charging for the app. Someone else mentioned making a free app and using adverts to generate revenue. Students have to have paper versions of the papers for class and can't use mobile phones in school, so what is going to encourage them to buy the app when they already have the papers?

If I'm at home and want to check a marking scheme I'll just go online on my computer or if I didn't have access to a computer on my mobile and it's costing me nothing extra.

Nice idea, but I'm not sure how you will make money on it.

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.
    You make a good point. I could put the app as free and try make money off the ads! It seems like almost everyone so far is in favor of that...
    I have lots of time before school starts back to make improvements to the app(and to the price). So I'll keep ye posted. :D

On another note.
    If anyone has any ideas on how I could improve the features in the app for the next update, then please let me know. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

In my opinion, I think it's a really good idea... For me anyway, I like reading through the exam papers at every chance I get so having them with me at all times (via my phone) will be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I'm just gonna post again and say it really should be adverts supported and free download.

I think the application would do well, especially with the tablet market. I could see it being in the top irish marketplace items (I'm not sure if there is an irish marketplace like on the iphone?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Selling this app may have legal issues. You might want to look into that.

Of course aside from that this reminds me of during the year. In chemistry I sat beside a friend of mine. Sometines I'd do the homework, sometimes he would (We got LOADS). Sometimes though, none of us would have it done. So in those scenarios, I took out my phone and looked up the marking scheme and read it word for word to the teacher. She never figured it :D

ChemHickey wrote: »
    In my opinion, I think it's a really good idea... For me anyway, I like reading through the exam papers at every chance I get so having them with me at all times (via my phone) will be great!

Good to hear Chem, lets hope all students have your willingness to learn!! :D

I'm just gonna post again and say it really should be adverts supported and free download.

I think the application would do well, especially with the tablet market. I could see it being in the top irish marketplace items (I'm not sure if there is an irish marketplace like on the iphone?)

I'm actually not sure either Limericks. You're clearly intent on having the app as free. Which I can see why. Seeing as it only takes one "Cracked Version" to hit the internet and everyone can download it for free anyway! :D

Adro947 wrote: »
    Selling this app may have legal issues. You might want to look into that.

Of course aside from that this reminds me of during the year. In chemistry I sat beside a friend of mine. Sometines I'd do the homework, sometimes he would (We got LOADS). Sometimes though, none of us would have it done. So in those scenarios, I took out my phone and looked up the marking scheme and read it word for word to the teacher. She never figured it :D

Hey andro, I could put that on the App Description Page on Android Market, lol, "LC DOG HELPS YOU CHEAT". :D

That's very handy(although I do not condone it ;) ).
    Hope it doesn't affect your result though!! :pac:

Hey andro, I could put that on the App Description Page on Android Market, lol, "LC DOG HELPS YOU CHEAT". :D

That's very handy(although I do not condone it ;) ).
    Hope it doesn't affect your result though!! :pac:

Ok but all jokes aside...I'm pretty sure the SEC have some kind of copyright on this stuff and that probably makes it illegal. So maybe an ad-supported free version may be a better idea.

It seems that I might have to. :eek:

And just to be clear, I am not selling papers. Its a simple "User Friendly" web browser, that lets you view/download papers easily.

I love making peoples lives easier.

It seems that I might have to. :eek:

And just to be clear, I am not selling papers. Its a simple "User Friendly" web browser, that lets you view/download papers easily.

I love making peoples lives easier.

I share your Passion. Just be careful with copyright. It's a developers Achilles heal!

I'll take a quick look at it.

Interesting thing you've done with the Google Mobile UI. However If I were you I'd read the terms of use on examinations.ie ...just in case!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Unfortunately its only for Android. I don't think I could release an iphone version this year, because I'm heading back to college in sept. But I think there is a Leaving Cert Papers App for the iphone, its €4, only has papers as far as 2008 and is 500mb big. :(

That is a big possibility also. The app is only a couple of weeks old, and the price is not set in stone.

You mean students can't use mobile phones in class??? :D
    That's the apps biggest problem alright.

And to be clear, I'm not selling any papers with the app. You need the internet to view/download them to your phone. And the Downloaded papers are listed in the app.

Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpful!!! :)

I'd recommend against ads! They don't make the revenue you'd like. With one of my apps funded my revenue I'd have well over €100 if I charged for it, Ad revenue is a fraction of it!(Obviously If I charged downloads wouldn't be great)

• Advertisement

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I'd recommend against ads! They don't make the revenue you'd like. With one of my apps funded my revenue I'd have well over €100 if I charged for it, Ad revenue is a fraction of it!(Obviously If I charged downloads wouldn't be great)

Thats the bad thing about ads(for me), revenue would be slow and also I feel that they look horrible... I personally hate the look of them. And before I got into Developing I never bothered clicking on them. But now I do, just to help other Developers out. :D

I think I get about 6 cent for one ad click.... and 30c every 1000 times an ad is shown. on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 funnysocks

Here's a handy app for people that DID do the Leaving and are heading to college, feckin free as well!

http://campus.ie/store/free-istudiez-pro-app

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Any chance of an iphone app soon?
    Would be great to have them on the iPod, if not I might just bite the bullet and get a 'droid

icedtea wrote: »
    Any chance of an iphone app soon?
    Would be great to have them on the iPod, if not I might just bite the bullet and get a 'droid

Hey icedtea,

Great question

I would love to make it for iphone/ipad/ipod.... maybe around christmas. I'm going back to college in september, i'll probably be busy with that, so it will defiantly be a project i could do over the xmas!

If/when I make an ipod/iphone version i'll let everyone know. :D

Just to let everyone know,

I've updated the app to improve the User Interface.

Take a look on the android market

Leaving Cert Dog PRO

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

This thread makes me wish I had got one of those cheap touchpads...
    Damn you amazon making me think i was going to get one!

I wish i had got one too,

but i dont think they were Androids... :(

Another update....

Leaving Cert Dog Lite has now been updated too.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

I wish i had got one too,

but i dont think they were Androids... :(

Another update....

Leaving Cert Dog Lite has now been updated too.

:D
    Someone's aready ported android onto afaik
    I had ordered them on Amazon.com and skipped many opportunities to buy. Then when the sales were over they politely let me know my order was cancelled :mad:

To celebrate the start of the new school year.
    I am happy to announce that Leaving Cert Dog PRO will be on SALE on the android market!!!

At €0.99 it's half price!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Bought the app...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement