Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win/Win...maybe. Sell Boards.ie shares to subscribers/Registerd Users.

Options
  • 12-08-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Can't see many negatives,..captive market, pre-established relationship etc..but then again I don't know much about business. Others might.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Would never work. A lot of posters on here have an enormous sense of entitlement, they wouldn't pay a sub for the upkeep of the site let alone buy a share in it. They'd much rather spend their money on the latest mobile phone and come on here to moan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hmm, I can see it now:

"YOU CAN'T BAN ME I'M AN OWNER OF THIS SITE!!!111!1112"

"I DEMAND ACKSESS TO THE ADMINS FORUM, I OWNS THE PLACE!!!!"

Can't see it happening somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Public Traded Companies are GREAT, IF you need to generate a lot of captital to generate a ton of profit. Which boards probably is not, unless it wanted to aggressively expand into a .com or something and have a paywall.

It's not gonna happen :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Steve wrote: »
    Hmm, I can see it now:

"YOU CAN'T BAN ME I'M AN OWNER OF THIS SITE!!!111!1112"

"I DEMAND ACKSESS TO THE ADMINS FORUM, I OWNS THE PLACE!!!!"

Can't see it happening somehow :)
    Yeah, just like those of us with shares in Microsoft and Apple demand the same types of privilege.

I don't see any reason to rock the boat. It's rare that one sees any type of private business enterprise have people queue up to offer their services free-gratis and fair play, I say.

If anything, there would be more tax advantage moving Boards Ltd from private company to charitable status, but that's just me and my evil tax-avoiding, cat-stroking, Bond-villain ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yeah, just like those of us with shares in Microsoft and Apple demand the same types of privilege.

I don't see any reason to rock the boat. It's rare that one sees any type of private business enterprise have people queue up to offer their services free-gratis and fair play, I say.

If anything, there would be more tax advantage moving Boards Ltd from private company to charitable status, but that's just me and my evil tax-avoiding, cat-stroking, Bond-villain ways.
    My post was intended to be light-hearted. :)

If you have shares in a company you do gain certain privileges - e.g. voting rights at an AGM. IMO, Boards is not out there to make (tons of) money, it's out there to serve the ideal of the founders.
    I do however believe that subscribers should get more perks for their contributions but that's really a different topic.

I don't follow the 'charitable status' bit (probably because I know bugger all about company law). How would that work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Actually it does happen :)

If you know any people that work in customer services in large companies that are on the stock market, I'm sure a few will have had a few customers try to get their way by using the "I'm a shareholder" line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gordon wrote: »
    Actually it does happen :)

From personal experience (not specially with Apple or MS thought just with a company with shares), it does indeed happen and its annoying as feck!
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

TheZohan wrote: »
    Would never work. A lot of posters on here have an enormous sense of entitlement, they wouldn't pay a sub for the upkeep of the site let alone buy a share in it.

If a website is free to use should you choose to use it for free & open to subscriptions, should you wish to pay, then surely those who pay are using their "sense of entitlement" just as much as those who don't pay?

Just saying.

Advertisement