Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long did it take you to speak the language

• 13-08-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

This is a question for those who went on a year abroad to a foreign university/college. How long did it take you to pick up the language? Or did you not mangage to at all?

I was wondering as I will be going on Erasmus the year after next!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

It depends very much on where you go and how much you hang around with English-speaking people I think...took a few months to be properly comfortable and not be tired all the time from trying to think in French, but I was almost entirely immersed - nobody at my college spoke English to me, so I had very little choice! By about Christmas (I went over at the end of August) people didn't really have to slow down noticeably for me to understand them.

Where are you thinking of going?

Advertisement