Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling eircom account

Options
  • 13-08-2011 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping some mods here can advise me.
    I will have been with eircom for a year this month and I am looking to cancel my account as soon as I can. I have looked for proceedures on how to go about this but have been unable to get any clear answers. I am also concerned as to if there will be a fine for cancelling (I would hope not as I will have been a customer for the term of my contract).

After some very bad experiences with the phone helpline for previous issues I am hoping someone can advice me what to do here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I'm hoping some mods here can advise me.
    I will have been with eircom for a year this month and I am looking to cancel my account as soon as I can. I have looked for proceedures on how to go about this but have been unable to get any clear answers. I am also concerned as to if there will be a fine for cancelling (I would hope not as I will have been a customer for the term of my contract).

After some very bad experiences with the phone helpline for previous issues I am hoping someone can advice me what to do here.

Hi dammitjanet,

eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. If you contact our service team on 1901 or 1800 242 633 they will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department.

Eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days prior.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

and do I need to know my account number to cancel eircom? Its not something Ive ever used. I was just on a call with one of your agents who didnt mention anything about taking note of the call to cancel broadband.

I have been with eircom over my one year contract. What are the penalties, if any, of stopping the direct debits?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

and do I need to know my account number to cancel eircom? Its not something Ive ever used. I was just on a call with one of your agents who didnt mention anything about taking note of the call to cancel broadband.

I have been with eircom over my one year contract. What are the penalties, if any, of stopping the direct debits?

Thanks

Hi oxygen_temp
    yes for security reasons you will definitely require your account number. If you have been with eircom for over a year there are no early cease charges, however it is better to call 1901 to arrange cease of account and cease of direct debit so that no further charges can be made against existing direct debit.
    If you PM me your tel number I can advise you on any possible charges.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

I did this 10 minutes ago.

eircom makes it as difficult as they can to cancel any service.

Call 1800 503 503
    You'll eventually get to 'Option 3', cancel account.
    Patience is required as there'll be a queue and you will be offered the option of leaving a message for a call back. Don't do this!

After being asked to confirm your name, address and account number, you will be asked why you're cancelling, the reasons and the name of your new provider. Then you can cancel your broadband, phone or both.

You have to do it in writing and it takes 30 days (even though you can purchase a service online immediately).

Send a letter to eircom with all your details to:

eircom accounts,
    Administration,
    Unit 6B,
    Westgate Business Park,
    Ballymount,
    Dublin 24.

I'm now on UPC 50 Mbit :) I ordered it last Tuesday and it was installed (free of charge thanks to Boards) in 90 minutes by appointment on Saturday (just after the rugby). I got a new cable for FM too. Very professional.

The phone will be going in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lester Banks

I've also had a lot of trouble cancelling my Eircom broadband and phone account.

Here's the basic story:

I'd been with Eircom for several years but decided to move to UPC for higher speed broadband and cheaper overall phone/broadband package.

20 July 2011
    -couldn't find cancellation information on eircom website so called eircom to ask what procedure was for cancelling account and moving to UPC.
    "No need to cancel account, it will automatically cease when UPC port number"
    Note: At no point did the agent advise that 30 days notice was required.

16 Aug 2011
    Based on above information, I continued with UPC order.

22 Aug 2011
    -UPC installed broadband and phone service

6 Sep 2011
    - received final bill from eircom which included a further months "charge in lieu of one months notice to cease service"
    - bill also included a charge for cancelling my direct debit too soon.
    - called eircom to query additional months charge given that I hadn't been informed of need for notice by customer service agent(20th Jul)
    - eircom response: "No notice applied to account so charge stands"

- I sent cheque to pay bill (including DD fee) less additional months charge as I deemed it unfair that notice period hadn't been made clear by eircom agent.

03 Oct 2011
    - received call from Eircom saying that I had to "pay full amount and that I would have been informed of 30 days notice period back in February"
    - explained I couldn't recall receiving that information and that even if I did,
    I felt the eircom agent (20th Jul) should have made this clear when I asked him what the procedure for moving provider was.
    - Eircom rep disagreed with me and said full amount needed to be paid.

Personally, I think this is very poor conduct from Eircom.
    - I don't think they make the cancellation procedure clear enough on their website (As far as I can see it's still not in the FAQ section).
    -I feel I received inadequate information when first calling about cancelling the account.
    - I think that my offer to pay for the full period of service I received and also the DD cancellation fee (€18) was a fair resolution
    - I wasn't happy with the threatening tone used by the customer care staff member when she suggested that the case would go to the courts if I failed to pay.

Has anyone had similar experience with Eircom? Or has anyone successfully
    moved to another provider without charge? I was told by customer care rep that the account "doesn't get cancelled" when you move to another provider as the account remains active and just gets transferred. So if this is the case, I'm not sure how the 30 day notice period is co-ordinated between eircom and the new provider?

Any suggestions/ feedback from Eircom mods??

• Advertisement

I've also had a lot of trouble cancelling my Eircom broadband and phone account.

Here's the basic story:

I'd been with Eircom for several years but decided to move to UPC for higher speed broadband and cheaper overall phone/broadband package.

20 July 2011
    -couldn't find cancellation information on eircom website so called eircom to ask what procedure was for cancelling account and moving to UPC.
    "No need to cancel account, it will automatically cease when UPC port number"
    Note: At no point did the agent advise that 30 days notice was required.

16 Aug 2011
    Based on above information, I continued with UPC order.

22 Aug 2011
    -UPC installed broadband and phone service

6 Sep 2011
    - received final bill from eircom which included a further months "charge in lieu of one months notice to cease service"
    - bill also included a charge for cancelling my direct debit too soon.
    - called eircom to query additional months charge given that I hadn't been informed of need for notice by customer service agent(20th Jul)
    - eircom response: "No notice applied to account so charge stands"

- I sent cheque to pay bill (including DD fee) less additional months charge as I deemed it unfair that notice period hadn't been made clear by eircom agent.

03 Oct 2011
    - received call from Eircom saying that I had to "pay full amount and that I would have been informed of 30 days notice period back in February"
    - explained I couldn't recall receiving that information and that even if I did,
    I felt the eircom agent (20th Jul) should have made this clear when I asked him what the procedure for moving provider was.
    - Eircom rep disagreed with me and said full amount needed to be paid.

Personally, I think this is very poor conduct from Eircom.
    - I don't think they make the cancellation procedure clear enough on their website (As far as I can see it's still not in the FAQ section).
    -I feel I received inadequate information when first calling about cancelling the account.
    - I think that my offer to pay for the full period of service I received and also the DD cancellation fee (€18) was a fair resolution
    - I wasn't happy with the threatening tone used by the customer care staff member when she suggested that the case would go to the courts if I failed to pay.

Has anyone had similar experience with Eircom? Or has anyone successfully
    moved to another provider without charge? I was told by customer care rep that the account "doesn't get cancelled" when you move to another provider as the account remains active and just gets transferred. So if this is the case, I'm not sure how the 30 day notice period is co-ordinated between eircom and the new provider?

Any suggestions/ feedback from Eircom mods??

Hi Lester Banks,

Can you private message me with your eircom account number and I will look into the history on your account.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Very same thing as above happened to my mother. She was informed when ordering upc that no cancellation was necessary as it would happen automatically on porting.

Eircom said that their cancellation had recently changed and 30 days written notice was required or there would be a charge and regardless of her contract 'they can change their terms if and when they feel like it' and she 'should have read the condition changes in the notices in the papers or would have been sent a letter'

Not great for a customer of 30+ years

Hifi Keith wrote: »
    Very same thing as above happened to my mother. She was informed when ordering upc that no cancellation was necessary as it would happen automatically on porting.

Eircom said that their cancellation had recently changed and 30 days written notice was required or there would be a charge and regardless of her contract 'they can change their terms if and when they feel like it' and she 'should have read the condition changes in the notices in the papers or would have been sent a letter'

Not great for a customer of 30+ years

Hifi Keith
    Yes in August the 30 day written notice condition was introduced and it is true that these change were announced in Feb of this year so I cannot do much on that subject.
    My apologies however for the unfortunate way this was delivered to you. Eircom can not and can not change their contract conditions 'when they feel like it' as there are regulatary bodies who control contract conditions.
    Sorry that the change over did not go more smoothly for your mother. If you do have any further query with this process please let me know.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Seems a strange way to treat long term customers, its not like she cancelled within her initial 12 month contract and was not notified of the change in service conditions regarding cancellations. She was advised by UPC that the process was automated and she would not have to contact her existing provider so will leave the dispute amongst the two providers.

I'd imagine any customer in a similar situation would think twice about returning to Eircom should the UPC service be disappointing

Hifi Keith wrote: »
    Seems a strange way to treat long term customers, its not like she cancelled within her initial 12 month contract and was not notified of the change in service conditions regarding cancellations. She was advised by UPC that the process was automated and she would not have to contact her existing provider so will leave the dispute amongst the two providers.

I'd imagine any customer in a similar situation would think twice about returning to Eircom should the UPC service be disappointing

Hi Hifi Keith
    no I understand that this may cause a bit of frustration alright. I cannot really comment on what was advised by UPC in this particular case it does make sense to let the two providers sort out. If still not resolved for you though let me know. Thanks for posting and bringing this to our attention
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

hi, what is a mail address to eircom to cancel account ? phonecancelation@eircom.ie ?

thanks

Deliasz wrote: »
    hi, what is a mail address to eircom to cancel account ? phonecancelation@eircom.ie ?

thanks

Hi Deliasz,

eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. If you contact our service team on 1901 or 1800 242 633 they will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department.

Eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days prior.

We require customers to call first to insure they are advised of any contract issues and to insure a follow up will be flagged on the account when the e-mail is received.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

I had that call yesterday but I was too busy to send a mail.Customer service told me to send a mail and I just want to confirm mail address.

There was nothing about my contract and issues or other fines. I will ring them again to be sure. Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark,

I had that call yesterday but I was too busy to send a mail.Customer service told me to send a mail and I just want to confirm mail address.

There was nothing about my contract and issues or other fines. I will ring them again to be sure. Thanks in advance.

Hi Deliasz

Let me know if you have any issues getting through to them.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Mark...can you help me please.

My contract (phone & broadband) is ending on the 13th of December, so I want to move to another provider.

Do I just need to post a letter to.....

Notification to cease desk,
    3rd floor
    Telephone House
    Malbroro Steet
    Dublin 1.

Is that the right address? Also what exactly do you say in the letter?

thanks.

Mark...can you help me please.

My contract (phone & broadband) is ending on the 13th of December, so I want to move to another provider.

Do I just need to post a letter to.....

Notification to cease desk,
    3rd floor
    Telephone House
    Malbroro Steet
    Dublin 1.

Is that the right address? Also what exactly do you say in the letter?

thanks.

Hi Creasy_bear,

We need to have a record of your intention to cease prior to advising of the written address or e-maill address to send a written request.

This way the acount is flagged for a follow up once we recieve a written or e-mail request it will be assigned to be cancelled 30 days later.

If you contact services on 1800 242 633, they will be able to put you through to cancellations to begin the process.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Creasy_bear,

We need to have a record of your intention to cease prior to advising of the written address or e-maill address to send a written request.

This way the acount is flagged for a follow up once we recieve a written or e-mail request it will be assigned to be cancelled 30 days later.

If you contact services on 1800 242 633, they will be able to put you through to cancellations to begin the process.

Thanks, Mark

Already rang them.......what I typed above is exactly what they told me to do :confused:
    can you confirm for me that it is correct?

Already rang them.......what I typed above is exactly what they told me to do :confused:
    can you confirm for me that it is correct?

Hi,

I PM you there, if you want to send the e-mail to be certain and I will get in touch with cancellations and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark.

Hi,

I PM you there, if you want to send the e-mail to be certain and I will get in touch with cancellations and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark.

I have replied to your pm

No surprise to see that eircom are still making the cancellation process as difficult and unclear as possible.

Mark,
    The guy has asked you twice for the cancellation email address and you haven't provided it. He has already made the phonecall and just wants to confirm by email.

Most services are happy to accept an email or letter of cancellation but Eircom insist on getting you on the phone to try and convince you to stay with them. If they were offering a better value service they wouldn't have to be so vague about the cancellation process. Just try find information on cancelling on the Eircom website. Apparently it's in there somewhere?!?
    (Mark, is it policy not to post the cancellation email address here? Or can you post link to cancellation process on Eircom website)

It would avoid so much confusion if Eircom provided clear cancellation steps in the FAQ section.

• Advertisement

No surprise to see that eircom are still making the cancellation process as difficult and unclear as possible.

Mark,
    The guy has asked you twice for the cancellation email address and you haven't provided it. He has already made the phonecall and just wants to confirm by email.

Most services are happy to accept an email or letter of cancellation but Eircom insist on getting you on the phone to try and convince you to stay with them. If they were offering a better value service they wouldn't have to be so vague about the cancellation process. Just try find information on cancelling on the Eircom website. Apparently it's in there somewhere?!?
    (Mark, is it policy not to post the cancellation email address here? Or can you post link to cancellation process on Eircom website)

It would avoid so much confusion if Eircom provided clear cancellation steps in the FAQ section.

Hi Lester Banks

The reasons we refere each customer to contact cancellations are:

1) They may not be aware they are under contract and a early cancellation may be applied if they cancel within the contract time-frame.

2) There are different process' if a cuatomer wants to cancel the account completly or if they wan to advise us that they are moving provider and just want to give us the 30 day notification.

3) We want to keep a record of why customers are moving providers or cancelling the service.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Deliasz

Let me know if you have any issues getting through to them.

Thanks, Mark

Hi. I would like to get a proper e-mail address for cancellation beacuse all my mails to eircom returned to me..

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi. I would like to get a proper e-mail address for cancellation beacuse all my mails to eircom returned to me..

Regards

Hi Deliasz,

Thanks for post. I am checking this and will advise shortly.

Kind regards, Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Mark,
    Hi Lester Banks

1) They may not be aware they are under contract and a early cancellation may be applied if they cancel within the contract time-frame.

2) There are different process' if a cuatomer wants to cancel the account completly or if they wan to advise us that they are moving provider and just want to give us the 30 day notification.

3) We want to keep a record of why customers are moving providers or cancelling the service.

Thanks, Mark

will you just give him the information he asked for, and stop for filibustering

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Well this is interesting. I got tangled up in this nonsense in September and I thought that I was just careless in not reading the terms and conditions. I see that this scam was introduced in August. Did Eircom tell anybody, or were people to gather the information by osmosis.

Presumably, this set of terms and conditions are available for inspection, along with the signed contract agreeing to the revised terms.

neiphin wrote: »

Mark,
    Hi Lester Banks

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Sorry but the reasons you listed are nonsense and a poor excuse for what is so obviously a tactic employed by Eircom to make cancellation as difficult as possible.

All three of the reasons you listed could be easily handled by providing an online cancellation form where the customer enters their account details and request for cancellation. The customer could automatically be alerted at this point if they are still within contract period and if so could then opt out of proceeding with cancellation. Your reasons (2) & (3)could also be catered for on this form.

It's already possible to order Eircom services online so it wouldn't be a stretch for your web guys to develop this form.

Of course, it won't happen as Eircom would rather take it's customers for a ride by prolonging the cancellation process long enough to get them to either give up on cancelling or at least take them into another billing period.

If I sound bitter, it's because I am and I was disgusted with the way Eircom treated me when I recently cancelled my account.

Now please stop beating around the bush and post the relevant email address for cancellations.

Alternatively, can you post link to location on Eircom website where cancellation process is explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

There was a discussion about this issue on the Joe duffy liveline show on RTE radio 1.

A lady who wished to end her contract after 30yrs of service was being messed around and told she had to pay a contract closure fee of a few hundred euros, it was very Ryanair like with all the hoops and hideen fees just to close a 30yr old agreement.

Of course nobody from Eircom came onto the show to speak up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Hi Mark

I phoned your cancellation line to cancel my account on the 30th of September. I wrote a letter dated the same day and asked that my account be cancelled from 2nd Nov and sent it to the address previously listed in this thread. My account is still active, please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

I had to get ComReg involved in Eircom selling me a completely dud package. After being told by the sales man at the door that I could change back to Eircom for my phone and broadband at a low price 'forever', (I even rang him back after UPC told me that my package was probably only for a year) and he assured me that it was NOT a one year deal, it was.

He also told me NOT to plug in my new phone as Eircom would charge me, otherwise leave it unplugged until my 30 days notice with UPC had expired. Imagine my surprise when I got a bill from the day I signed the contract. My cooling off period had expired but I went ahead and cancelled my new contract with Eircom and renegotiated with UPC.

I was asked to agree to pay a cancellation fee which I refused so Eircom refused to cancel my contract. The supervisor in Customer Service was the RUDEST man I ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I'll never go back after my experiences with this man.

ComReg sorted me out. Phew!

• Advertisement

Hi Mark

I phoned your cancellation line to cancel my account on the 30th of September. I wrote a letter dated the same day and asked that my account be cancelled from 2nd Nov and sent it to the address previously listed in this thread. My account is still active, please advise.

Hi dazed+confused,

Can you PM me with your eircom account number and telephone number and I will check the staus of the written request with cancellations.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement