Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling eircom account

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Amai

My grandmother passed away suddenly last week, and after burial and all her health equipment had been moved out, and since my lease was up for renewal i decided to move out before April 1st with a friend (they have a landline and so couldnt just move address), neither could i afford staying in the house or could stand living in it alone, the landlord was very understanding and luckily had someone ready to move in immediately,. upon calling eircom today i was quite annoyed.

Firstly
    I spoke to a guy, told him I wanted to cancel my account A.S.A.P and he told me, i had to do a letter and give 30 days notice, he gave me an address, i took it down, soon after I told him since someone was going to move in I didnt want any charges on my account from someone else's calls, and wanted it cancelled immediately he said they had to wait until they received a letter, I explained my situation (my grandmother passing on, the urgency of moving out) and the guy had the nerve to say to me "the account is not in your grandmother's name" . I found it very rude, instead of helping me out, I asked the number for customer complaints and he gave it to me. all i wanted was to close the account

Secondly
    I rang customer complaints... why? Mainly I wanted to understand why I couldn't cut my line immediately, and secondly, complaining about the rudeness of the guy at the other end of the line. Well, wasn't I surprised the girl on the other end was even backing him up., she told me it was a "fact" that it wasn't my grandmother's account and I was the one who was wrong. (how this would help me cancel my account I don't understand) Anyway I told her, I just wanna move out and make sure noone else uses the phone in my name, she then told me I could put a call barring service and it might cost me 20 or so euros, I said I don't might, I just wanted to move out. so I had to go and call 1901... again

Thirdly,
    I called and was told by the guy from cancellation that it COULD be done immediately for a charge of €30+, instead of me barring calls and writting a letter... FINALLY!!!! bill will come in two weeks, and line will be cancelled in the next few days, just gave him the new address I was moving to and it was grand.

Eircom, Im really disappointed that I was treated with absolutely no sympathy on where I stood. in closing all other household accounts I was handling with such dignity and respect, in light that I am grieving, managed to settle all my bills, had absolutely no problems. Please Customer Service, could you learn to be more polite. small issues like this is what keeps customers like me coming back.we are people, not machines, we have emotions, regular lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Amai wrote: »
    My grandmother passed away suddenly last week, and after burial and all her health equipment had been moved out, and since my lease was up for renewal i decided to move out before April 1st with a friend (they have a landline and so couldnt just move address), neither could i afford staying in the house or could stand living in it alone, the landlord was very understanding and luckily had someone ready to move in immediately,. upon calling eircom today i was quite annoyed.

Firstly
    I spoke to a guy, told him I wanted to cancel my account A.S.A.P and he told me, i had to do a letter and give 30 days notice, he gave me an address, i took it down, soon after I told him since someone was going to move in I didnt want any charges on my account from someone else's calls, and wanted it cancelled immediately he said they had to wait until they received a letter, I explained my situation (my grandmother passing on, the urgency of moving out) and the guy had the nerve to say to me "the account is not in your grandmother's name" . I found it very rude, instead of helping me out, I asked the number for customer complaints and he gave it to me. all i wanted was to close the account

Secondly
    I rang customer complaints... why? Mainly I wanted to understand why I couldn't cut my line immediately, and secondly, complaining about the rudeness of the guy at the other end of the line. Well, wasn't I surprised the girl on the other end was even backing him up., she told me it was a "fact" that it wasn't my grandmother's account and I was the one who was wrong. (how this would help me cancel my account I don't understand) Anyway I told her, I just wanna move out and make sure noone else uses the phone in my name, she then told me I could put a call barring service and it might cost me 20 or so euros, I said I don't might, I just wanted to move out. so I had to go and call 1901... again

Thirdly,
    I called and was told by the guy from cancellation that it COULD be done immediately for a charge of €30+, instead of me barring calls and writting a letter... FINALLY!!!! bill will come in two weeks, and line will be cancelled in the next few days, just gave him the new address I was moving to and it was grand.

Eircom, Im really disappointed that I was treated with absolutely no sympathy on where I stood. in closing all other household accounts I was handling with such dignity and respect, in light that I am grieving, managed to settle all my bills, had absolutely no problems. Please Customer Service, could you learn to be more polite. small issues like this is what keeps customers like me coming back.we are people, not machines, we have emotions, regular lives.

Hi Amai,

Sorry to hear about the problems you encountered when you tried to cancel your grandmothers account. Can you private message me with your grandmothers eircom account number and I can follow up with managers in cancellations directly.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

... if Eircom provided clear cancellation steps in the FAQ section.

Hi Eircom,

Im about to cancel (not port) my Eircom BB and telephone. Can you link to clear cancellation steps?

Thanks
    RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Good luck with getting any cancellation instructions from Eircom RevBlueJeans. There are none.

Can anyone advise me… I cancelled my account about a year ago. Because of all the hoops and stuff I had to go through (getting the registered account number, my phone number (I used it only for internet, and they don’t email any of these details to you), 30 days notice, a letter in writing etc) I missed the date I wanted to be disconnected by, so had to pay an extra month.

I cancelled the direct debits as soon as I believed they should be cancelled, but now Eircom’s solicitors are threatening me with legal action unless I settle a months bill with the (€70). What actions can Eircom really take against me? I just feel really put out by having to pay €70 that was basically conned out of me by an ISP that done absolutely everything in their power to go against me when I tried to cancel the account.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Eircom,

Im about to cancel (not port) my Eircom BB and telephone. Can you link to clear cancellation steps?

Thanks
    RevBJ

Hi RevBJ,

Thank you for your post.

The following process is laid out by eircom as the necessary requirement in order to cancel your phoneline or broadband account.

eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. If you contact our service team on 1800 242 633 they will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department. Eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days prior.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Thanks Ant,

I have broken up your reply into ten steps. Are the steps correct?

Note: Eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service.

Step 1: Customer Contacts the Eircom Service Team on 1800 242 633.
    Step 2: Eircom Service Team will take a record of the call.
    Step 3: Eircom Service Team will transfer you to Eircom Cancellation Department.
    Step 4: Eircom Cancellation Department will take a record of the customers intention to cease.
    Step 5: Eircom Cancellation Department will read out an e-mail address or postal address.
    Step 6: Eircom Cancellation Department will verbally advise customer what information to include in to send the written request.
    Step 7: Customer composes letter / email
    Step 8: Customer sends e-mail or posts snail mail letter to Eircom.
    Step 9: Eircom recieves the email or letter and makes cancellation order.
    Step 10: Eircom check 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed.

Assuming the above steps are correct I have one question. Can I cancel six weeks ahead (say) for the cancellation process to be initiated on a certain day? Thus avoiding early cancellation charges or incurring an extra months charges?

Thanks again Ant for the reply

RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Hi RevBJ,

Thank you for your post.

The following process is laid out by eircom as the necessary requirement in order to cancel your phoneline or broadband account.

eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service. If you contact our service team on 1800 242 633 they will take a record of the call and then transfer you to the cancellation department. Eircom cancellations will take a record of your intention to cease and give the e-mail address or postal address to send the written request. They will follow up 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed assuming eircom have received a letter or e-mail 30 days prior.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Is there definitely still not a requirement for written notification? That’s what delayed me cancelling last time, and costing me an extra months
    rental

Thanks Ant,

I have broken up your reply into ten steps. Are the steps correct?

Note: Eircom now require a 30 day notification to cancel the broadband service and phone service.

Step 1: Customer Contacts the Eircom Service Team on 1800 242 633.
    Step 2: Eircom Service Team will take a record of the call.
    Step 3: Eircom Service Team will transfer you to Eircom Cancellation Department.
    Step 4: Eircom Cancellation Department will take a record of the customers intention to cease.
    Step 5: Eircom Cancellation Department will read out an e-mail address or postal address.
    Step 6: Eircom Cancellation Department will verbally advise customer what information to include in to send the written request.
    Step 7: Customer composes letter / email
    Step 8: Customer sends e-mail or posts snail mail letter to Eircom.
    Step 9: Eircom recieves the email or letter and makes cancellation order.
    Step 10: Eircom check 30 days later to insure the cancellation order has been processed.

Assuming the above steps are correct I have one question. Can I cancel six weeks ahead (say) for the cancellation process to be initiated on a certain day? Thus avoiding early cancellation charges or incurring an extra months charges?

Thanks again Ant for the reply

RevBJ

Thanks RevB,

To answer your query. Yes, you can specifiy a date to cancel in the future. Just make sure it's over a month's notice and you make this clear in any correspondence with the Service Team.

Regards,
    Ant

FIY: This is the standard email from Eircom cancellations:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Two important points for your attention:

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this e-mail address is automated and replies will not be generated.
    You must quote your account number (an eight-digit number which appears on the top of the first page of your bill) in your e-mail. This is to confirm that your are the account holder. We cannot act on any e-mail that does not include the account number as to do so would risk acting without the authority of the account holder. If you have neglected to include your account number in your original mail, please re-send it with the account number included.

If you have requested the cessation of your account (all lines and services including Broadband if applicable) this will take place 30 working days from today.
    Please note that if you have Broadband, this will be ceased two to three days in advance of the cessation of the account itself. This is for technical reasons to facilitate the cessation and is unavoidable. We hope that this will not inconvenience you unduly.

If you have requested the cessation of only your Broadband service -leaving your line(s) and other services active- this will be done 30 working days from today.

It should be noted that whilst we endeavour to meet the timelines above, it may sometimes be necessary to cease services a little earlier or later but this will only be in exceptional circumstances.

We would like to thank you for your custom and we hope that we can be of further assistance to you in the future.

Kind regards,

The Account Administration Team

A further point of information the eircom cancellations team member told me I could cancel either by email OR by snailmail but not BOTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,501 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This all seems like an awful mess.
    My contract is up on July 9th and I intend to move to Smart Telecom.
    I have to give 30 days notice from today and that means my contract with eircom will end on July 26th.
    However, they state that the broadband will cease two days in advance?
    So I'll be left without a service for a couple of days.....

I assume that my new provider will have to reconnect the broadband connection?

All of this is extremely unclear.
    When you switch providers in electricity or gas, a market message is sent by the network provider and the changeover is seamless.
    This does not appear to be the case here.
    In fact, I've moved phone/BB providers several times in the last 5 years and never had any issue whatsoever in the process.
    Now there appears to be a lot of ambiguity regarding whether I will be left without a service for a couple of days.

Has anyone actually completed the changeover to a fixed line provider, e.g. Vodafone or Smart and how did they go about doing it?
    What was the sequence of steps they took?

From looking at this, I'd almost be inclined to say "shag it" and just pay the cancellation fee to avoid all the rubbish of phoning, emailing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

I cancelled my eircom bb and phone last week by emailing a cancellation letter as instructed too when I called eircom. As this is a 30 day notice period I was surprised to find my phone appears to have been disconnected well before the 30 days but my bb appears to still be working. Can I have my status checked and if in fact the phone has been cut off earl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Kunny wrote: »
    I cancelled my eircom bb and phone last week by emailing a cancellation letter as instructed too when I called eircom. As this is a 30 day notice period I was surprised to find my phone appears to have been disconnected well before the 30 days but my bb appears to still be working. Can I have my status checked and if in fact the phone has been cut off earl?

Hi Kunny,

I will of course check this for you. If you PM me the account number I'll check the file from cancellations and confirm the details for you. Rare that it would be cancelled early unless you specifically requested this. Have you been in contact with any other providers? It could be possible that the account hasn't ceased but instead moved to another company. PM the details and I'll confirm either way.

Thanks

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Kunny wrote: »

Hi Kunny,

Thanks for the PM, have been able to check this for you. The reason that the phone is not working is that there is a fault on the line. It seems it's just coincidental that the cease request went in around the same time. I have also checked for any barring/early disconnection on the account and can confirm that the account will begin to cease on Friday 10th Aug. The best thing to do here is call 1901 and say 'fault' and allow them to check the line, it may require an engineer to be sent but these type of faults are normally resolved in 2-3 working days.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 42 gizzemoto

Hi All,
    I am having a similar problem with eircom, I requested My account to be cancelled on the 3/07/2012, I rang them first and the person I spoke to advised me that if I cancelled early that there would be a fee, but went on to explain that if the New tenant wanted to take up the line that there would be NO Charge and the early cancellation amount would be wavered . I have been in contact with my landlady and her new tenants wish to go with eircom, I have given her my old eircom Tel No + Account No to transfer account.

She rang them today and was told that the account was not closed??????

I rang the on the 10/08/2012 and they told me that my Account was closed

I rang them again today, And they Informed me that I owed them for early cancellation, I explained to her what her colleague told me on the 3/07/2012, She said she did not know anything about it, that she could not verify what was said and that if it was said it was incorrect information that the amount Would have to be Paid. I Tried to Explain to her again and was just blanked, and re-told You Have to Pay.

Any Help and Advice would be greatly Appreciated

gizzemoto wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am having a similar problem with eircom, I requested My account to be cancelled on the 3/07/2012, I rang them first and the person I spoke to advised me that if I cancelled early that there would be a fee, but went on to explain that if the New tenant wanted to take up the line that there would be NO Charge and the early cancellation amount would be wavered . I have been in contact with my landlady and her new tenants wish to go with eircom, I have given her my old eircom Tel No + Account No to transfer account.

She rang them today and was told that the account was not closed??????

I rang the on the 10/08/2012 and they told me that my Account was closed

I rang them again today, And they Informed me that I owed them for early cancellation, I explained to her what her colleague told me on the 3/07/2012, She said she did not know anything about it, that she could not verify what was said and that if it was said it was incorrect information that the amount Would have to be Paid. I Tried to Explain to her again and was just blanked, and re-told You Have to Pay.

Any Help and Advice would be greatly Appreciated

Hi gizzemoto,

Can you PM your eircom Account number or the phone number so I can look into this query further.

Thanks Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Hi Ant,
    I'm thinking of switching my bb from eircom to another provider, I've had the account over 3 years so take it there is no cancellation/penalty to switch?
    Also in a year I'll need eircom bb for a new build, what charges will there be for getting in a new line if:
    a) I keep my current eircom account and switch it to the new build in a years time
    or
    b) I switch my current eircom account now and look for a new account/connection in a years time.
    Dont need any additional poles for the new build as its roadside and 20 feet from the line and pole thats there.

Appreciate your help on this

M three

M three wrote: »
    Hi Ant,
    I'm thinking of switching my bb from eircom to another provider, I've had the account over 3 years so take it there is no cancellation/penalty to switch?
    Also in a year I'll need eircom bb for a new build, what charges will there be for getting in a new line if:
    a) I keep my current eircom account and switch it to the new build in a years time
    or
    b) I switch my current eircom account now and look for a new account/connection in a years time.
    Dont need any additional poles for the new build as its roadside and 20 feet from the line and pole thats there.

Appreciate your help on this

M three

Hi M three,

I would advise to check with your current provider to see if there are any contract cancellation charges / process' they need you to go through before you start the order to switch to eircom.

Can you PM me with your current telephone number / address and I can look into the broadband and package options available with eircom.

Any new account line with eircom has a 12 month contract, so if you are moving to a new address within that time frame it is possible to do so with the same account number. However keep in mind that when any customer is moving from an existing address to the new address (new build) the existing contracts can not be transferred. so a new 12 month contract will have to be entered into at that address.

In relation to the work required for the new build, the telephone line order will need to be issued as a Full Provide. So an eircom technician will call out and need to survey the address (work required) before eircom can advise on the what needs to be done in order to get the line installed.

if you have any follow

Thanks, Mark

Hi M three,

I would advise to check with your current provider to see if there are any contract cancellation charges / process' they need you to go through before you start the order to switch to eircom.

Can you PM me with your current telephone number / address and I can look into the broadband and package options available with eircom.

Any new account line with eircom has a 12 month contract, so if you are moving to a new address within that time frame it is possible to do so with the same account number. However keep in mind that when any customer is moving from an existing address to the new address (new build) the existing contracts can not be transferred. so a new 12 month contract will have to be entered into at that address.

In relation to the work required for the new build, the telephone line order will need to be issued as a Full Provide. So an eircom technician will call out and need to survey the address (work required) before eircom can advise on the what needs to be done in order to get the line installed.

if you have any follow

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply, Eircom are my current bb supplier, I'm thinking of cancelling that account, moving to vodafone as they are offering bb for 30 euro per month. I currently pay 51 euro per month with eircom.

But my query is;

I've had the eircom account over 3 years so is there a cancellation fee?

or

What is the typical cost of installing a new line in a new build if I dont need any additional poles - its roadside and 20 feet from the line and pole thats there.

Thanks for your help on this.
    M three

M three wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

Thank you for the reply, Eircom are my current bb supplier, I'm thinking of cancelling that account, moving to vodafone as they are offering bb for 30 euro per month. I currently pay 51 euro per month with eircom.

But my query is;

I've had the eircom account over 3 years so is there a cancellation fee?

or

What is the typical cost of installing a new line in a new build if I dont need any additional poles - its roadside and 20 feet from the line and pole thats there.

Thanks for your help on this.
    M three

Hi M three,

Apologies, can you PM me with your eircom account number and I will check your current account / contract status in detail.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi M three,

Apologies, can you PM me with your eircom account number and I will check your current account / contract status in detail.

Thanks, Mark

Pm sent to you Mark

Still waiting for a reply Ant, 2 PM sent

Still waiting for a reply Ant, 2 PM sent

Hi gizzemoto,

Your account was fully cancelled on the 10/08/12

REF:

3346306C 9/08/12 9/08/12 COMPLETED 8/08/12

However the early cease charges will still be applicable as the transfer process requires the previous tenant and new tenant to call our services and for the existing tenant to confirm the are moving from the address and then the new tenant to agree to take on the existing from the lat billing date.

Thanks, Mark

Hi gizzemoto,

Your account was fully cancelled on the 10/08/12

REF:

3346306C 9/08/12 9/08/12 COMPLETED 8/08/12

However the early cease charges will still be applicable as the transfer process requires the previous tenant and new tenant to call our services and for the existing tenant to confirm the are moving from the address and then the new tenant to agree to take on the existing from the lat billing date.

Thanks, Mark

The new tenant has been in contact with Eircom and has been told that it was not possible to take on my account as "They would Have to Sign up for a new 12 Months In there own Right" and "That my account Is still Active" and Again the Information that your representative gave on the 3/07/2012 was incorrect

The new tenant has been in contact with Eircom and has been told that it was not possible to take on my account as "They would Have to Sign up for a new 12 Months In there own Right" and "That my account Is still Active" and Again the Information that your representative gave on the 3/07/2012 was incorrect

Hi gizzemoto,

When did the new tenant call eircom last to set up the account? As I am sure your account has been cancelled.

Thanks, Mark

Hi gizzemoto,

When did the new tenant call eircom last to set up the account? As I am sure your account has been cancelled.

Thanks, Mark

They rang Eircom on Friday the 24th of August, I passed on my account number and telephone number and were told as stated in the last reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GalwayLondon

I'm trying to cancel my phone and broadband but first I'm informed that I'm in a contract until next April (1st I've heard of that, nicely hidden Eircom) and then that my 9 calls to tech support haven't proven an issue yet so Elizabeth (useful as a glass hammer) on 1901 transfers me through to them again. Half an hour later nobody has picked up. I am paying for a service I'm not getting and I'm sick of it. I'm going to cancel my standing order as it seems to be the only way to get them to listen. UPC send engineers out to cure issues, Eircom spend their time asking if the bloody router is plugged in despite the fact that my partner and I both work in IT. How about some support on THAT admin?!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

My Phone & BB are with Eircom (for last 8 years+). I want to switch provider to UPS so that I can bundle Phone/BB/TV together and save €€ as my family's financial situation has changed.

I have just discovered I am in a contract until May-13. Can I cancel within 30 days as I cannot afford to pay what I am paying until May.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 branoblazek

Hi, has cancellation email address changed? After sending e-mail a got this in reply:

Reporting-MTA: dns;DNEXGW01.eircom.ie
    Received-From-MTA: dns;emps3.eircom.ie
    Arrival-Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:46:42 +0100

Final-Recipient: rfc822;phonecancelation@eircom.ie
    Action: failed

Reporting-MTA: dns;dnexgw02.eircom.ie
    Received-From-MTA: dns;emps3.eircom.ie
    Arrival-Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:07:14 +0100

Final-Recipient: rfc822;phonecancellation@eircom.ie
    Action: failed

I am canceling my broadband, BTW.

• Advertisement

My Phone & BB are with Eircom (for last 8 years+). I want to switch provider to UPS so that I can bundle Phone/BB/TV together and save €€ as my family's financial situation has changed.

I have just discovered I am in a contract until May-13. Can I cancel within 30 days as I cannot afford to pay what I am paying until May.

Thanks.

Hi Salmon Leap,

I appreciate that financial situations for customers do change. However as a company a contract and terms and conditions have to be applicable to all customers. If acceptations were made in a few cases that would set a persistent in which eircom may be liable to release all customer who are under contract currently in similar circumstances.

As such contracts, possible early cancellation fees and the cancellation process have to be upheld.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement